Metallic Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6

May be a stupid question inside.. readers beware

So right out the gate im sorry if this is the dumbest of all dumb questions when it comes to rear ends...

But will any ford 9" fit with the TA?? does it have to be a special size? theres a guy selling one from a truck ( have no idea if that matters or not) its a good price ill have to put in new gears cause its some god aweful 5.32 gear ratio...

so again sorry i tried searching the topic but found nothing that answered this

Good question, complicated answer.

Short answer....no.

However any 9 inch can be made to fit the F-bodies, we did it for years before the drop in units became available in the aftermarket.

Currie makes the adapter for the torque arm as well as the new brackets for control arms and panhard. The housing itself would have to be narrowed, new axles, etc. etc.... So it's a costly adventure that requires welding and fab skills, a jig, etc... In the end it barely comes in a few hundred cheaper than a drop unit ready to go.

Metallic Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6

well definitely worth the extra bucks to get a new one then... ive been eyeing the MWC fab'd 9 inch... and im a little worried ill over pay for a rear end that i may never actually use its full potential,, im wanting to within the next few years have it to around 600-700hp and call it quits. Im ordering a cam this weekend and once thats in then the wife wont have a choice but to let me get the rear end ( its how i wiggle new things on to my toys start at the one and and then add the supporting mods later so i can tell her that i need this ( such and such part cause its wearing out lol)

Funny stuff.

The Fab 9 might be overkill depending on how you plan to abuse the car. Nothing wrong with overkill though. If you want to save a few bucks a decent 9inch setup from any of the other manufactures would likely serve you just fine though.

Metallic Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6

cant say that ill abuse it... but when some dumb little DSM tries to be cool guy McFly for his GF i just dont wanna have to worry about peppering the front of his car with my rearend lol

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If you have an auto trans the 12 bolt is also a good choice. Stick car you'll want to put a 9" under it for the added security.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

5.32 gears should get you off the line fast. lol
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Metallic Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6

yea all the way through the intersection.. then what

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Sadie2 View Post
    yea all the way through the intersection.. then what
    Then you get an 8 speed transmission.

Metallic Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    Then you get an 8 speed transmission.
    lol cause thats cheaper than new gears

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Sadie2 View Post
    lol cause thats cheaper than new gears
    Actually our cars with M6 trans will probably do 100 mph or so with those gears. Stock gears are 3.42 and I know I can do 80 mph in 6th gear at 1800 rpm so with a 6200 rpm red line and 5.32 gears I feel 100 mph is doable.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Just did a quick check. 6200 RPM in a 5.32 rear gear with 275/40/17 tires, came out to top speed in 6th of 178 mph!

6200 RPM max speed, with our M6 gear ratio, gives us a potential top speed in first gear of 33 MPH, 2nd 50, 3rd 68, 4th 89, 5th 119, and 6th 178. Assuming the engine works ok in the powerband in 6th gear, but it should since 5th tops out at 119 and then when you shift to 6th you are at ~4100 rpm. That's why top speed in our 4th gens is achieved in 5th, not 6th, the stock engine isn't making enough power in 6th gear as it's only turning over ~3500 RPM @ 160 MPH.

Our stock gearing allows a potential top speed of 277(!) mph in 6th.

I think I'd start in 2nd gear, then shift to 4th, then either 5th or 6th with that 5.32 gear set. We all know it's not a practical gear set with our stock tires.

Yeah, aero starts to take affect at 100 mph or more, which is why you won't see a top speed in 6th gear. It takes a tremendous amount of horsepower to overcome the aerodynamics at those speeds. Basically the car would hit a wall at some point during the climb and wouldn't go any faster, not because of the gearing, but because it can't overcome the aero forces.

5.32 isn't horrible, especially for a 1/4 miler, although would be a bit much if you couldn't at least spin to 7,000 rpm. My buddy ran 5.13's in his 69 COPO for many years with the stock 427/425. It was driven regularly on the street. It proved to be just a tad much at the strip, with a 28" slick it would run out of steam at about 200 ft before the finish line. 7,000 rpm was pushing it for this stock engine. He later dropped to 4.56's and it was perfect.
    I run 4.88's behind a high strung small block with a 4 speed and love it. It has major fun appeal.

Nowadays with all these overdrives it's pretty easy to live with gears like this.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I feel a 3.73 gear would be better for our setup in stock form. GM used 3.42 gears for a combination of gas mileage and performance. Anything from 3.73, 3.90 or 4.11 would be ideal. JMO

Depends on how you want to set it up.

For a 1/4 miler, you want to cross the finish line just above peak rpm. So if you shift at 6200 you want to at least cross the finish line there or just slightly above that rpm in your 1:1 gear for best times. Your tire height would dictate the gear needed to accomplish that. Even a 4.10 may not be enough at that rpm with the stock 26" tire. Horsepower and torque curves will also play a roll in this.

For dragstrip action the stock rubber band tires even in a drag radial form aren't the best. I prefer at least a 28" tire, so the gear has to be adjusted to compensate that.

If you don't really care about ET's then it's not a concern. In that case setting it up with a mild 3.73 gear is a nice all around choice with either transmission for a street car.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

If Zac just wants high hp and drag racing then I would go with a 9" or a S60 and 4.30 gears. Don't forget the driveshaft loop.

Metallic Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6

no drag racing.. im in it more for the thrill of just driving around and messing around on the road on and off.. to be honest since ive owned my car.. ( yea its only been a month) i have only done one burn out and thats cause a really pretty lady had never been in a car that could do it and she asked really nicely lol.... other than that i drive it to work (7miles) and back and maybe put 50 miles on it a weekend... i just want a cruiser that when i need it to be i can be a bruiser as well lol sure ill take it to the track here and there.. thats why i want to upgrade the rear.. dont wanna drive to the track and get towed home

ive been checking all the options out. ima go with the Quick performance ( 9 inch with the back brace and shaft loop) when ill buy idk yet just dropped a ton of money into my jeep gotta calm the misses down lol...

heres the jeep though!

http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php...bumpers-are-on

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^nice lookin' Jeep.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Agree. I am not really into trucks or Jeeps, but that does look nice.

Thread Information