Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Manual vs Automatic

This is a discussion on Manual vs Automatic within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; i hate putting in clutches...

silver
    2000 formula

i hate putting in clutches

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by allpontiac View Post
    Thats pretty impressive on a bone stock car. The best I got here in Florida bone stock was a 14.05, its at sealevel but the humidity down here kills you a little. By the time I went with a 2800 converter, catbacks, air lid, tune,subframe connectors and drag radials I was down to a 13.20's. I have headers now and 373 gears but have not been to the track. My 60 ft times with drag radials was in the 180 area. I felt like I was hooking up well but the weird part is the highest mph I ever had even at 13.20 was right at 100 mph.
    That is a pretty low MPH for that time. I was at the other end of the spectrum after my mods. I ran a 13.19 at 107MPH. I know she has more in her, I just need to practice my launch. That time was with a 1.906 60'.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

I always thought the M6 in my 98 TA shiftly nicely. I liked it much better than the M5 in my Cobra. The shifter in the TA was situated better (easier/comfortabler to shift) and it shifted more smoothly than the Cobra...

I now have an A4 TA. I was quite apprehensive at first about buying it. You know, everybody rags on you for not having a manual, will it be as fun to drive, all that. Maybe it's just because I'm 10 years older with this TA than I was with the last one, but yes I find it's just as much fun to drive. It's nice to not have to workout my left leg in stop and go traffic all the time. I can always have my elbow hanging out the window in my 'cool' pose. That's important...

I do gripe about the mileage. Yes, right, we don't buy these cars for mileage, but I got 30 mpg highway on the M6, and averaged 25 mpg. I now get 25 mpg highway on the A4 and average about 21. It was nice having a bad-ass car that also got 30 mpg. You'd think someone in the 21st century could develop an automatic tranny that doesn't lose so much.

I don't take it to the track, so I can't speak to differences in performance. So I guess my post is really kinda useless to you. But as a fella that has owned both, I would say that while I preferred the M6, I have not regretted buying the A4.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Thats pretty impressive on a bone stock car. The best I got here in Florida bone stock was a 14.05, its at sealevel but the humidity down here kills you a little. By the time I went with a 2800 converter, catbacks, air lid, tune,subframe connectors and drag radials I was down to a 13.20's. I have headers now and 373 gears but have not been to the track. My 60 ft times with drag radials was in the 180 area. I felt like I was hooking up well but the weird part is the highest mph I ever had even at 13.20 was right at 100 mph.

That does seem hella slow for that ET, but it also shows how the first 60 ft. is so important. Surely your 3.73s and headers will wake up the MPH.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    That is a pretty low MPH for that time. I was at the other end of the spectrum after my mods. I ran a 13.19 at 107MPH. I know she has more in her, I just need to practice my launch. That time was with a 1.906 60'.

Pretty sure my best 60' has been a 1.98. Obviously no slicks, and I had a real good density one night at the track, Too Fast was running 109+ all 7 runs, with a best that night of 12.89 @ 109.85. Only my second 12. That was 18 months ago in mid October, it wasn't tuned yet with my LT/ORY, I have gotten it tuned this Spring (Frost) so maybe I can run those 109s again in warmer weather. Usually she's running 107 or so, very low 13s

Ya, although you are at sea level, that Florida humidity is intense, much more than Ohio has. So you could be running in some really crappy DA numbers during mid summer down there. Might explain why your MPH is a tad low.

Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

i wish i was as lucky as sum of you fellers with both the auto and manual tranny's...theyre both fun as hell...they both have theyre up and downside

pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

I have an m6 love it wouldnt trade it for the world, but i dont dd my car either, an auto is more pratical for dd, an alot more consistent as a track car if your gonna do that route, basically like everyone has said, go with wat pleases u the most after test driving it and u will be fully satisfied

Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I don't quite understand that one. I prefer to drive my classics more often over the 4th gens, doesn't matter which transmission they have, that's not what the classics are about to me.

That's kinda like saying, I leave my 2002 SS camaro in the garage because it's an auto, I'd rather drive my 79 chevette because it's a manual,,,,,just sayin' lol
    lol, well the '98 m6 will eat the pants off of the '79 6.6 auto with 2.42 gears.....so...

Quote Originally Posted by goof4080 View Post
    lol, well the '98 m6 will eat the pants off of the '79 6.6 auto with 2.42 gears.....so...
    Ya I guess so,,,,2.42 gears is one reason. With those gears we aren't talking about the optional 220HP model either (which would have had 3.23's standard)
    So we are talking about the 180-200 HP model with an auto and 2.42's,,,a single exhaust with an old pellet style cat converter,,,,,holy cow those ran high 15's to low 16's when new if you were lucky.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the car, just an off the wall comparison really.
    But for me it was never about how fast a car went that made me choose what to drive They just have a style, classic lines, and a character that can't be matched with a new car,,,,but I digress....

silver
    2002 ws6

Ya I guess so,,,,2.42 gears is one reason. With those gears we aren't talking about the optional 220HP model either (which would have had 3.23's standard)
    So we are talking about the 180-200 HP model with an auto and 2.42's,,,a single exhaust with an old pellet style cat converter,,,,,holy cow those ran high 15's to low 16's when new if you were lucky.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the car, just an off the wall comparison really.
    But for me it was never about how fast a car went that made me choose what to drive They just have a style, classic lines, and a character that can't be matched with a new car,,,,but I digress....
    dear lord those 403 olds powered t\a's were tired, asthmatic sums-bitches.

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    dear lord those 403 olds powered t\a's were tired, asthmatic sums-bitches.
    Ya now that's even worse than the pontiac 400's that I was referring to.

Ray Charles blue

Ya now that's even worse than the pontiac 400's that I was referring to.
    Now wait a minutes. Those cars are power houses! I have heard many-a-trailor-park-story of how those puppies easily could make over 400rwhp with just a bigger carb and advancing the timing. They all ran 12 second 1/4 mile times and topped out about 165mph! Now who would I believe, them or you guys?

Some like to shift others like the convenience factor you get from an auto and prefer just not to shift. Whatever you like be happy with it and dont give others sh!t over what they picked......just make sure you pick what you really want. Some guys I know pick the manual tranny cars so that the ladies they have dont try to drive the car ever.....lol

Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

Ahem....185 hp and 325 ftlbs....
    now it's bored, cammed, and mildly built with a rebuilt trans, just needs the rear to seal the deal

lol, i'll let my friends drive that over my m6. I dunno, it just seems to me that if it's a toy it should be manual. in the end, get what u get and never look back.
    Last edited by goof4080; 06-02-2010 at 01:00 PM.

Pewter, and Black
    2001 Firebird, 2002 TA

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    Now wait a minutes. Those cars are power houses! I have heard many-a-trailor-park-story of how those puppies easily could make over 400rwhp with just a bigger carb and advancing the timing. They all ran 12 second 1/4 mile times and topped out about 165mph! Now who would I believe, them or you guys?

Some like to shift others like the convenience factor you get from an auto and prefer just not to shift. Whatever you like be happy with it and dont give others sh!t over what they picked......just make sure you pick what you really want. Some guys I know pick the manual tranny cars so that the ladies they have dont try to drive the car ever.....lol
    My girlfriend drove my car home after I bought it, haha. I didnt know how to drive a standard till a day after.

Some guys I know pick the manual tranny cars so that the ladies they have dont try to drive the car ever.....lol

My wifes SS is the 6 speed car. My SS is an automatic

Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Those cars are power Some guys I know pick the manual tranny cars so that the ladies they have dont try to drive the car ever.....lol
    hahaha, i never thought about that...better go trade in my auto!

Ray Charles blue

My girl can drive manual....lol It sucked last year when I brought out my 6-speed GTO and she mentioned that she can drive manual. She actually did quite well. We had to turn the T/C button off though because she was more apt to spin the tires a little bit and if it was on the car would buck from loss of traction....haha

Quote Originally Posted by goof4080 View Post
    Ahem....185 hp and 325 ftlbs....
    now it's bored, cammed, and mildly built with a rebuilt trans, just needs the rear to seal the deal

lol, i'll let my friends drive that over my m6. I dunno, it just seems to me that if it's a toy it should be manual. in the end, get what u get and never look back.
    I have a 1970-1981 3.42 posi rear that fits camaro/firebirds. Thing is I am going to use it in my 69 Camaro. Need to relocate the brackets on it but I think that its just hair wider than the stock rear that is in it but I should be able to use a deeper offset wheel......I think anyway...lol

Quote Originally Posted by innerchi89 View Post
    My girlfriend drove my car home after I bought it, haha. I didnt know how to drive a standard till a day after.
    I have heard that a couple times from people....lol

My wifes SS is the 6 speed car. My SS is an automatic
    Maybe she bought it to keep you out of it? haha j/k!

Quote Originally Posted by godless-phoenix View Post
    hahaha, i never thought about that...better go trade in my auto!
    If it keeps her out and you dont want her to drive than thats good but I wouldnt junk an auto car.

Actually I was telling a fellow member on here about my other friends car. He wants a new Camaro and wont get jack for trade in for his 1999 convertible WS6 with I think just 28 or 29k miles. My dad has been after it for a couple years but the guy cant make up his mind. Its an auto but it really doesnt matter for a crusier car like that.

I have a 1970-1981 3.42 posi rear that fits camaro/firebirds. Thing is I am going to use it in my 69 Camaro. Need to relocate the brackets on it but I think that its just hair wider than the stock rear that is in it but I should be able to use a deeper offset wheel......I think anyway...lol
    The 70-81 rear is 2 inches wider than the 67-69. Not only are the brackets moved outward, but you are correct in thinking an offset wheel would be needed. The 70-81 rears are actually the same width as 68-72 chevelles.

If you really want an 8.5 inch 10 bolt in that 69, your best bet, and easiest option would be to grab a 10 bolt from a 71-74 Nova (X body style). It's a simple drop in for 67-69 camaros and firebirds without any bracket relocating and funky wheels.
    They are a dime a dozen, cheap and easy to find, and much better than the 8.2 inch 10 bolts the low HP 67-69's came with. Much cheaper than finding a 12 bolt.

Sorry this is off topic, PM me if need be.

Black
    1998 Trans AM

Cool

i have a 1998 auto trans am. in drag racing auto's are faster, they only have to shift 4 times vs. the 6 speed. it shifts faster and you will never miss a gear! the only good thing about a six speed is that its is funner to drive around town, which is good. i have nothing aginst six speeds i just perfer auto for dragging

I agree, they both have their place for specific applications. We are all car enthusiasts here, at least I hope we are. We should all like any 4th gen just as much as the next one no matter which transmission is in it.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread Information