Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Manual vs Automatic

This is a discussion on Manual vs Automatic within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by StuntmanMike And keep in mind that changing gearing an/or adding a stall converter is going to reduce ...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    And keep in mind that changing gearing an/or adding a stall converter is going to reduce your mileage.
    this is bullshit by the way...they lock up at 45mph so on the x-way there is no change..and under normal driving the change is barely noticeable if at all averaging 1-2 miles difference

gearing of course will change mileage

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Yea, then ask em to race for money and all the sudden they shut the fuck up.
    yup or when you tell them yeah this auto runs in the 12s

Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    And that's what I think people don't grasp. If you want to see real stick cars with real people driving them the way they should be driven, then you need to watch UMTR, or NHRA stock and super stock racing where there are still a few stick cars running competetively. I ran UMTR for a few years, and was like a kid in a candy store. High rpm clutch dumps and screaming V8's banging gears should be required listening for every kid growing up. When done properly it's music.

On the street 99% of the stick cars you come accross are not going to be driven to their potential. Even on a test and tune night you'll find a couple dozen stick cars granny shifted going down track. People think stick cars are the best thing out there, until you watch some of them drive, then you realize why automatics were invented
    yeah, i raced a brand new C6 vette ,witch was a stick, and a won, but just by a little bit, but its cause the guy didnt know how to drive his friggin car! if he was a better stick driver im sure i wouldve been smoked

98' trans am

i think what it comes down to is the fact that a manual transmission is the embodiment of the old muscle car/ sports car style ...from a time when there was no computer controlled devices on the car so it was you mastering the vehicle and all of its functions.

however now there are tons of computer controlled parts..and there is no doubt that the future will be ruled by sports car /muscle cars using a automatic transmission ....it is evolution ...there is really no need for a manual transmission anymore ...with the use of 6+ speed autos ..with shift control ..what niche does the manual trans fill that the auto cant.

i hate to say it but basically the 4th gen f body and the gto were the last performance production car were the manual vs auto held any importance

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    this is bullshit by the way...they lock up at 45mph so on the x-way there is no change..and under normal driving the change is barely noticeable if at all averaging 1-2 miles difference

gearing of course will change mileage
    This is true, I only lost 2 mpg around town (from 22 to 20) with a 3400 stall. But it locks at 38 mph at light throttle, and still gets the same 26 mpg highway.
    Gearing won't effect your mileage if you stick with the same cruising rpm, just takes a little longer to get where you are going

I've gotten so used to driving cars with 4.56 and 4.88 gears with no overdrives, that these panzy 3.73 and 4.10 gear swaps in double overdrive transmission cars makes me chuckle. I mean really,,,common'. And who is really that concerned with gas mileage anyway?? If that's what I truely wanted I'd buy a chevette. On the same token 30 mpg from my wifes 6 speed camaro isn't bad for what it is, and more than enough as far as I'm concerned. Funny though I choose to drive classic vehicles daily that get 12 mpg and leave the camaros sit in the garage

i think what it comes down to is the fact that a manual transmission is the embodiment of the old muscle car/ sports car style ...from a time when there was no computer controlled devices on the car so it was you mastering the vehicle and all of its functions.

however now there are tons of computer controlled parts..and there is no doubt that the future will be ruled by sports car /muscle cars using a automatic transmission ....it is evolution ...there is really no need for a manual transmission anymore ...with the use of 6+ speed autos ..with shift control ..what niche does the manual trans fill that the auto cant.

i hate to say it but basically the 4th gen f body and the gto were the last performance production car were the manual vs auto held any importance
    It's funny how that changes. Technically speaking as far as the resale market goes, the general population prefer the autos and they tend to hold more resale values because of that fact. Lets face it, society has gotten soft.
    It's only when you get into the classic cars where the stick cars tend to have a larger following.
    Sadly the 4th gens are at that point where it really doesn't matter, they aren't classics yet, and on the same hand they are passed the slightly used car stage too, and have become well used. Doesn't really matter which tranny it has, they all have hit the toilet on pricing. 90% of the people wanting to buy them are kids, and that's such a small population it's not really having much affect on the overall market, other than driving the prices down.

1999 WS6(sold) 2003 Cobra

You can't say people don't know how to drive a stick when they've only had their car a few days or weeks... it takes time to get used to your new car. So if you do end up getting a m6 then don't worry about losing to people in your first couple races. You HAVE to mess around with your car to get better and usually when you get a new car all other people want to race you. I know when I first got my car I wasn't exactly a pro at speed shifting especially with a short shift when I've never had a short shift, or much less a sports car that was manual. I learned on my mom's mercury tracer. It was a 4 banger with a 5 speed and it was prolly the easiest car to learn on. Hop into a ls1 car with a m6 and its going to be much different. So all these auto guys saying 99% of m6 drivers on the road is a lie. Its more like 99% of new m6 drivers won't naturally be great at it. In the end its your car and your the only one who knows what you want. Good luck

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    M6 is a blast to drive although you cant outshift a computer...
    J
    True......you cant outshift a computer. Issue is for me if I go to the track and run a 15 flat or a 13 flat I would prefer it be me deciding that and not just the tranny. Drag racing an auto IS MORE than just hammering on the gas but you MUST admit it is easier to get good times with the auto than the M6.

Think of it this way. Would you feel better about beating ZELDA on the ol' NES system using the Game Genie or without any "helper" codes?

Quote Originally Posted by godless-phoenix View Post
    hahaha, i agree...its funny how nobody will hate on a manual, but sum people are like "but its just an auto"...if i remember correctly, the new camaro's have 6 speeds in both the auto and manual, and the quarter mile time for the auto was a little bit faster...but like some people have said, its all a matter what your preference is, and what your going to be doing with your car...both trannys have there good and bad points...
    I think its because you get more respect if you can drive a manual car well. Also, I feel it is because you get more driver input with an M6 car. I love pushing in the clutch and giving the engine a little rev at a light, I did that in my Camaro and it wanted to lurch forward....lol The other thing is exiting a Corner with my autmatic Corvette or Camaro sucked compared to my M6 GTO and my M6 Corvette. I, as well as others, just prefer to pick 1 of 6 gears rather than 1 of 4. Plus the whole torque management issue sucks in my opinion. Like you say though both have good and bad points to them. I will say that I think the M6 makes the driver more aware of what he is doing by way of paying attention due to having to shift, use a clutch, operate a shifter with one hand, and one on the steering wheel. I honestly think that a lot (not all by any means) of auto drivers are able to do other stuff while driving making them not pay attention quite so much as they should.

Oh....and the 6-speed auto Camaro makes LESS power than the M6 version by way of a different engine. I have yet to see an article with the auto version beating out the M6.

If I am in my M6 and you beat me with the identical car though it is an auto to me you didnt beat me, your car did. However there are some auto cars I would drive and if it was an all out drag car I probably would go with an automatic. Since I dont plan to dedicate my daily drivers I will stay with an M6.

Not hating on the auto guys at all. It is personal preference. Some guys like red heads, some like blond girls, others like brown haired gals. Me, I love them.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    True......you cant outshift a computer. Issue is for me if I go to the track and run a 15 flat or a 13 flat I would prefer it be me deciding that and not just the tranny. Drag racing an auto IS MORE than just hammering on the gas but you MUST admit it is easier to get good times with the auto than the M6.
    Think of it this way. Would you feel better about beating ZELDA on the ol' NES system using the Game Genie or without any "helper" codes?

I think its because you get more respect if you can drive a manual car well. Also, I feel it is because you get more driver input with an M6 car. I love pushing in the clutch and giving the engine a little rev at a light, I did that in my Camaro and it wanted to lurch forward....lol The other thing is exiting a Corner with my autmatic Corvette or Camaro sucked compared to my M6 GTO and my M6 Corvette. I, as well as others, just prefer to pick 1 of 6 gears rather than 1 of 4. Plus the whole torque management issue sucks in my opinion. Like you say though both have good and bad points to them. I will say that I think the M6 makes the driver more aware of what he is doing by way of paying attention due to having to shift, use a clutch, operate a shifter with one hand, and one on the steering wheel. I honestly think that a lot (not all by any means) of auto drivers are able to do other stuff while driving making them not pay attention quite so much as they should.

Oh....and the 6-speed auto Camaro makes LESS power than the M6 version by way of a different engine. I have yet to see an article with the auto version beating out the M6.

If I am in my M6 and you beat me with the identical car though it is an auto to me you didnt beat me, your car did. However there are some auto cars I would drive and if it was an all out drag car I probably would go with an automatic. Since I dont plan to dedicate my daily drivers I will stay with an M6.

Not hating on the auto guys at all. It is personal preference. Some guys like red heads, some like blond girls, others like brown haired gals. Me, I love them.
    2 statements, one fact. It is easier to get consistent times with an auto. And I like red heads.

Quote Originally Posted by natews6 View Post
    You can't say people don't know how to drive a stick when they've only had their car a few days or weeks... it takes time to get used to your new car. . So all these auto guys saying 99% of m6 drivers on the road is a lie. Its more like 99% of new m6 drivers won't naturally be great at it. In the end its your car and your the only one who knows what you want. Good luck
    I never said they were new drivers. I see grown 50 year old men all the time that have had their whole life of driving and still can't drive a stick properly.
    Just stating what I've seen. On the street (and even the track) I haven't seen but a handfull of people in several years that can actually drive a stick and do it well. 99% of them can't get going or they granny shift the thing.

98' trans am

99% of them can't get going or they granny shift the thing.
    including you old man ?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Hey, does this mean the v6 auto guys will get some slack??
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Hey, does this mean the v6 auto guys will get some slack??
    why wouldnt you ?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Talking

why wouldnt you ?
    It's kinda a v6 vs. v8 thing

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    It's kinda a v6 vs. v8 thing
    oh that is all a bunch of b.s anyways

including you old man ?

Unfortunately the only video I have of me racing stick cars is all on old VHS tapes. If I had a way of copying it to disc and transfer to this computer, I'd show you how this old man gets it done

There's technoligy getting in the way again, maybe my wife knows how

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Unfortunately the only video I have of me racing stick cars is all on old VHS tapes. If I had a way of copying it to disc and transfer to this computer, I'd show you how this old man gets it done

There's technoligy getting in the way again, maybe my wife knows how
    How you used to get it done. Old VHS tapes of you racing mean you can't do it any longer. I, personally, am not that old yet. Wait. If I dug around long enough, I could find some VHS tapes of me in my '67 400 Firebird, at an SCCA solo event. Ran that bitch open headers, too, and they wouldn't let me do that again.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I remember VHS !!! "Debbie Does Dallas" lol !!!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^Yeah, the stupid freeze frame would never pause at the right spot, or stay in focus, or you'd have to adjust the tracking, LOL!

White
    1998 Trans Am

At least we're all at the mature age now !!! LOL !!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information