GM LeMans/Luxo Blue
    2001 Firebird Formula

Manual headlight motor adjuster

Been working on my Formula all day in the rain trying to restore the correct headlights and fog light that a previous owner totally hacked up. He removed the low beam buckets and spliced 4 cheap Walmart driving lights in their place. 2 lights on each side. One was about 2 1/2 inches and shaded blue and the other was about 3 1/2 inches with crappy blue bulbs. Looked like a nightmare and the light quality was pathetic. Then he removed the factory fogs and rigged up smaller driving lights just like the ones he put for headlights. Nothing was done with any skill...zip ties, cut wires and electrical tape everywhere...nightmare...just finding the headlight buckets was almost impossible and the factory fogs were pretty expensive. Anyhow to shorten the story I have everything all wired and all the lights work correctly but now the headlight motors don't. One gear has been going bad for a few days and I have a brass gear ordered but the other headlight will not go up or down. I manually screwed it in the up position and now it is stuck there. I tried to manually screw the driver's side up but I guess the gear is so far gone it will only go up about 80%. I hear a short click but no grind from the passenger side. When I turn off the headlights they stay in the up position and neither of them grind like they do when the gear strips out. Not sure if when I untangled his rat's nest of wires i somehow disconnected something like a ground...Suggestions where to start? I wonder if he hacked up a ground wire or something. I guess tomorrow if the rain stops I'll hit it after work. What a PITA.

GM LeMans/Luxo Blue
    2001 Firebird Formula

I realize I was so aggravated that I forgot to ask my original question...The cap on top of the headlight motor that you can turn with a hex...can it be replaced? I broke one...

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

It can be replaced but you have to buy a complete headlight motor, since it is attached to it.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Always fun fixing problems caused by prior owners or those that worked on the car for them. Good luck with it.

Thread Information