Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Manual/Automatic

This is a discussion on Manual/Automatic within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by jroc I agree with 2000T / Guru on almost everything he said about the A4/ M6 controversy, ...

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    I agree with 2000T / Guru on almost everything he said about the A4/ M6 controversy, except the Drinking and driving part(not sure who brought that up?). I personally "had" a fully loaded A4- 2002 WS6(too many drinks ended its life! and fortunately not mine and the female I was with).
    I used to be like all of you A4 guys defending the A4 against the M6 for years, until my "wrecked" A4 forced me to get the manual. TRUST ME - the manual is waaaaay better. It felt like I had finally "arrived" when I got the M6. My first thoughts were "Whoaa this is what everyone was talking about" . My A4 was a disgrace compared to my current M6 (which is the exact same year , color, and package), major lag time between- me slammin the pedal and actual acceleration with the A4 (even when brand new). I had a 98 Camaro Z28-auto, and it even seemed faster then my brand new A4-WS6??. In fact, I love the feel of control and power from the M6 so much, that I now look at the past A4 accident as a "BLESSING". THE M6 is truly the only way to go if you actually have a choice-trust me you wont be dissapointed( I actuially look forward to just driving the damn thing).

i owned a 2002 C5 six speed. shifting gear is over rated.

black

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    and how is "i bogged the launch" an excuse. we 6 speed drivers have to actually launch the car.....

because it is an excuse. not our (A4s) problem your car couldnt launch.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

black

i really dont buy all the shit you guys are saying about "oh ive walked every manual on the street". i got beat by an a4 z28 on the highway because he runs 12.40s and even then me shifting from 2-5 like a bat outta hell i stayed a car, car and a half back for a good while. and how is "i bogged the launch" an excuse. we 6 speed drivers have to actually launch the car.....
    if i had similar mods to your cars (whoever) and you ofcourse got a better launch, i can guarantee you wouldnt be "walking" me. i will take a stick over a stall any day of the week. so keep telling yourself that riding in your car is sooooo much smarter than driving it, and ill keep my old slushbox and have some fun....
    last i remember me being in the drivers seat= driving the car.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    last i remember me being in the drivers seat= driving the car.
    you can defend this all you want. i never said i had a problem with the autos. but it simply takes no skill to drive one. you mash the gas and go (so to speak).

Black
    Y2K

Just my 2 cents here.

I sold my M6 car last week and immediatly began looking for a replacement. I loved the hell outta shifting that car and having alot of racing experience I considered myself better than most at shifting it. I have drag raced 10.5 street cars with alot more power than these street cars that are local. Some have had levers to pull and some were what you might call and automatic. These cars were all low 7 sec quarter mile cars and fun as hell to pilot.

That being said, I still have the street car bug. I have as much fun with these true "Street" cars as I have in my race "street" cars. Some of the locals around here that I run with have Mustangs and such. I was at a point w/ my M6 car that I had to upgrade the clutch, transmission, and the rear-end before I cound run with them anymore. In other words, more money than I wanted to invest into a toy so to speak. As of selling my M6 car last weekend, I found an a4 car in another forum for sale and bought it with a feeling of reget that I wouldn't be happy with it. After driving the auto car, I am very pleased with its performance. It has a 3600 converter and a tad over 400 hp at the wheels. And it will eat the tires off at any kind of moderate roll. It is as much a handfull as the 6 speed car of similar power. Best of all, I took it to the track last night and raced it without so much as cooling it off and ran 7.50's in the 1/8th one pass after another. I wouldn't take the m6 car to the track for fear of the clutch and rear-end. Alot of the people I know locally have Mustangs and we all know how easy they are to make fast and reliable with alot less money.

All in all, I am very happy with the change because I can still raise hell on the street or strip and drive the sucker everywhere. The m6 car became a street only car and I just lost the fun of it because I didn't want to break it at the track.

I do see a major fuel mileage difference in the two though. Not that I care that much. I likes to hammer the sunsa bitches too much to worry about that.

black

you can defend this all you want. i never said i had a problem with the autos. but it simply takes no skill to drive one. you mash the gas and go (so to speak).
    im not defending anything, its a known fact that if you are behind the wheel, you are driving.

manual guys always go on this tangent about how great it is to shift gears and how much better manual cars are. i disagree, i owned a manual.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Quote Originally Posted by cphillips View Post
    Just my 2 cents here.

I have drag raced 10.5 street cars with alot more power than these street cars that are local. Some have had levers to pull and some were what you might call and automatic. These cars were all low 7 sec quarter mile cars and fun as hell to pilot.

:
    10.5 cars? and they were low 7 second 1/4 mile cars?? Or did you mean 1/8 mile..
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I have a 2000 camaro z28 auto, and my buddy has a 99 camaro SS. When both cars were bone stock my car would take him from a dig, and from a rolling 30 "no B.S". He know's how to drive a stick if you were thinking that he did'nt. I think that stock on stock the auto is faster. He started to beat me from a rolling 30 when he upgraded his exhaust to a Corsa set-up. In the quarter mile, I would still beat him by a fender. I know Alot of six speed driver's are not going to like to hear this but it is true. Stick's are more fun to drive because you are in control of the entire car, where as in an automatic, all you have to do is know how to stage and put your foot down. for over all speed in a quarter mile stock on stock the auto is faster.

white
    1998 Formula

We all gave our opinion. We also didn't, or atleast I didn't put down a manual car. As far as it taking no skill to drive a automatic. That's something a ricer would say.

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

Wink

I have a bad left knee, so an auto is what I drive. I love it, but some times I wish I had a 6 speed. Drive one of each and get the one you had the most fun in.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by American Muscle View Post
    We all gave our opinion. We also didn't, or atleast I didn't put down a manual car. As far as it taking no skill to drive a automatic. That's something a ricer would say.
    "ok, you win.

auto > manual.

am i still a ricer in your book?
    Last edited by secondgearscratch; 04-28-2007 at 11:42 PM.

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

"ok, you win.

auto > manual.

am i still a ricer in your book?
    Not if you keep all the ugly stickers, ugly rims and super wing off the car. MOST IMPORTANT, KEEP THE MOPED MUFFLER OFF THE CAR.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Kup98ss View Post
    Not if you keep all the ugly stickers, ugly rims and super wing off the car. MOST IMPORTANT, KEEP THE MOPED MUFFLER OFF THE CAR.
    thanks for that advice....

2 pedals vs. 3 pedals

have fun debating fact.
    oh great intentions, ive got the best of interventions...

Missouri and Central IL members come in!!!!!
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f26/missouri-muscle-central-il-come-48861/

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information