Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Manual/Automatic

This is a discussion on Manual/Automatic within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; This kid has NEVER driven a stick.... You will be slow, and you will either tear your car up or ...

Pewter
    2000 WS6 A4

This kid has NEVER driven a stick.... You will be slow, and you will either tear your car up or wreck it.

Just my .02

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

its totally rocks that i can get roadhead, a smoke in one hand and my other hand on the wheel.

its something a manual driver cant get
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

black

Quote Originally Posted by NHRAMAN View Post
    Yeah..but when u get a good run with a 6-Speed...it is something to be proud of ---more than just flooring it.....
    maybe one day ill get a good run with a six speed, just maybe he wont use the famous, i blew the launch, i bogged the car, missed a shift and blah blah blah

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

If I have the chance at buying a 6-speed T/A as a secondary "FUN" car.. I'm doing it.. after driving my buddie's 6-speed.. I REALLY miss that car and want it to just cruise around with.... but it is no where near as fast as my car now... Right Doc?
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

You just don't get that feeling when you drive auto. Driving stick keeps you so much more immersed in your car and helps build a stronger relationship with it. I'm not saying you don't love your ride cause it's auto, but driving stick is like having sex, and the Trans Am is a very beautiful woman. And if you we're dating a beautiful woman, wouldn't you want to have sex with her?
    2000 WS.6 Ram Air M6, 2000 Firebird 3.8L A4

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by NewLS1 View Post
    so in other words, there is really no big difference between a manual and automatic.

If you line up 2 stock trans ams 1 manual other automatic, who would win in 1/4 mile, and by how much? both with even level drivers.
    I don't have much done to my trans am..........and every stick i have raced i have walked all over....it depends on the driver.........but i tell you there isn't much lag when i get on it in my automatic and my car is seven years old!!!

black

Quote Originally Posted by Styke View Post
    You just don't get that feeling when you drive auto. Driving stick keeps you so much more immersed in your car and helps build a stronger relationship with it. I'm not saying you don't love your ride cause it's auto, but driving stick is like having sex, and the Trans Am is a very beautiful woman. And if you we're dating a beautiful woman, wouldn't you want to have sex with her?
    building a relationship with a car what have you been smoking?

not matter how hot a women is, you get tired of her

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

Your right about it doesn't matter how hot a woman is you get tired of her. The last gf i had i thought she was the best in bed i'd ever had and one of the hottest ones too, a month later it was boring. Don't think i can ever get married.

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Quote Originally Posted by sfletch2000 View Post
    Your right about it doesn't matter how hot a woman is you get tired of her. The last gf i had i thought she was the best in bed i'd ever had and one of the hottest ones too, a month later it was boring. Don't think i can ever get married.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that way.... I get bored WAY too easily.... <sigh>

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

Yeah its pretty pathetic especially when you get to do almost anything you could imagine in bed and she's ok with it, never did i think it would get old. Like they so though "variety is the spice of life" and now that i just got the t/a i'm sure i'll see even more variety.

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Lol.. I wish that was the case for me... lol. But thats ok.. just got out of a 4 year nightmare... might just need to calm down for a bit...

Blue
    2007 Kawasaki ZX-14

tranny differences

I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but if you're not mechanically inclined at tranny flush at the dealer for the A4 is $300+ and for an M6 is around $95 I think. I myself love to row my own gears, so I'll throw a vote in for the ole M6, just a hellava lot more fun....especially when you're racing a vette coming on an onramp and he stomps on it and you go right to second for a walk past him at 100+ mph. It was an older vette btw, but who cares.

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

2nd gear and walk past him at 100MPH... How's that possible you must have some really high gears in that thing...

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

I think he meant hit 2nd..and continued shifting.. lol.

black

Quote Originally Posted by 01WS6_4_ME View Post
    I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but if you're not mechanically inclined at tranny flush at the dealer for the A4 is $300+ and for an M6 is around $95 I think.
    chevy truck pan with drain plug=$40

Blue
    2007 Kawasaki ZX-14

Quote Originally Posted by KITTvsKARR View Post
    I think he meant hit 2nd..and continued shifting.. lol.
    Roger.

Justin

Black
    2002 WS6

The Final Word

I agree with 2000T / Guru on almost everything he said about the A4/ M6 controversy, except the Drinking and driving part(not sure who brought that up?). I personally "had" a fully loaded A4- 2002 WS6(too many drinks ended its life! and fortunately not mine and the female I was with).
    I used to be like all of you A4 guys defending the A4 against the M6 for years, until my "wrecked" A4 forced me to get the manual. TRUST ME - the manual is waaaaay better. It felt like I had finally "arrived" when I got the M6. My first thoughts were "Whoaa this is what everyone was talking about" . My A4 was a disgrace compared to my current M6 (which is the exact same year , color, and package), major lag time between- me slammin the pedal and actual acceleration with the A4 (even when brand new). I had a 98 Camaro Z28-auto, and it even seemed faster then my brand new A4-WS6??. In fact, I love the feel of control and power from the M6 so much, that I now look at the past A4 accident as a "BLESSING". THE M6 is truly the only way to go if you actually have a choice-trust me you wont be dissapointed( I actuially look forward to just driving the damn thing).

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Just remember the manual is better. It seems the autos never know when to shift on the street. I have driving auto's in town. The only reason to have an auto is if your big into drag racing. Other than that the manual will always be the better option. It is well worth learning how to drive one. No matter how much power a street car has I would always miss not being able to shift it. It is true a lot of people with manuals don't drive them very well and do give them a bad rep. Just make sure you don't keep the factory shifter as it is not to good. The after market ones are way better at helping you not shift to the wrong gears. I am a very good manual transmission driver and I've driven the same new cars with both auto's and sticks and every one the manual transmission car felt to be faster.

white
    1998 Formula

Hey Guys, thought I'd chime in. I have always had manual sport cars (280z,1996 ws6, and a 2004 GTI with a turbo upgrade). I was very hesitant about getting the A4 in my 98 Formula but the price was to good to pass up. I agree the manual is more fun to drive stock. But after I installed the TCI torque converter the car is so much more fun the drive than the m6. I felt the 1996 WS6 (LT1) I had would edge out my A4 to 40 mph or so if properly driven. With the Stall, no chance. The car just rips and takes away the dead spots that are common with the A4. The only thing you have to do is get a tranny cooler for like $60.00. Hope this helps.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

i really dont buy all the shit you guys are saying about "oh ive walked every manual on the street". i got beat by an a4 z28 on the highway because he runs 12.40s and even then me shifting from 2-5 like a bat outta hell i stayed a car, car and a half back for a good while. and how is "i bogged the launch" an excuse. we 6 speed drivers have to actually launch the car.....
    if i had similar mods to your cars (whoever) and you ofcourse got a better launch, i can guarantee you wouldnt be "walking" me. i will take a stick over a stall any day of the week. so keep telling yourself that riding in your car is sooooo much smarter than driving it, and ill keep my old slushbox and have some fun....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information