Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Manual/Automatic

This is a discussion on Manual/Automatic within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; wow. manual. gets em everytime. and all you stalled a4 guys, bring it........

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

wow. manual. gets em everytime.
    and all you stalled a4 guys, bring it.....

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    wow. manual. gets em everytime.
    and all you stalled a4 guys, bring it.....

i always six speeds
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

SSMOKIN_SS
    I have a M6 and it is way more fun to drive that an auto. Auto will have a smoother ride, but with a M6 your gallon would go a little farther although you do have a clutch that needs replacing once or twice in the lifetime of a car depending you hard you drive it. But when it comes to racing my money's on the M6. Like if I'm going in fifth gear and someone's fuckin around I just drop into third and walk away.
    Last edited by SSMOKIN_SS; 04-20-2007 at 08:03 PM.

red
    2000 ws6

i have an a4 but i would love an m6 a lot funner to drive

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

If you want balls out power and like the feel of being in total control of your car get stick if want balls out power and like two hands on the wheel get auto. Auto is more consistant in 1/4 mile but when i drive my m6 i just feel the power each time i shift and hit the gas again. I believe stick is the way to go but its all about what you want. Remember its harder to drive drunk if your car is stick shift saftey first my friend.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    If you want balls out power and like the feel of being in total control of your car get stick if want balls out power and like two hands on the wheel get auto. Auto is more consistant in 1/4 mile but when i drive my m6 i just feel the power each time i shift and hit the gas again. I believe stick is the way to go but its all about what you want. Remember its harder to drive drunk if your car is stick shift saftey first my friend.
    its better if you have a stick when youre intoxicatied cuz you just cant figure out why there are 3 pedals on the floor and your car wont start when you turn the key. much safer!

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I always get it started its remembering i have to shift when the radio is all the way up and im still in 1st gear at 40 just driving.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    i always six speeds
    Yeah..but when u get a good run with a 6-Speed...it is something to be proud of ---more than just flooring it.....
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by NHRAMAN View Post
    Yeah..but when u get a good run with a 6-Speed...it is something to be proud of ---more than just flooring it.....
    True that man! who ever posted this thread should choose what fits them best. Manual is really fun, but auto is "easier" but also more consistent at the track if ur into that. If i were you i'd learn manual either way cuz its really fun and you might get an opportunity to drive a sick car but can't cuz its stick. I work at an auto auction and if i couldn't drive stick, i'd miss out driving new vettes, gto's, cts-v's and all sorts of shit. make sure you learn on a POS tho, cuz it won't be good for the car to stall and buck all the time when u first try it.
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD, !AIR, !EGR, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Learned on a 70 something bonco that you had to start in 2nd cause 1st gear was a towing gear that went to 5 mph, 3rd to 4th took two hands to do cause it was so hard to pull it into gear, good times. Plus i was on a frozen lake.

Thanks for all the information. I do know how to drive manual, just that i never actually raced while driving manual, so i wont be a good manual driver.

I will test out both sides and see what i want to get, it will all depend on what vehicle and deal i find, but now i know that track wise ,there isn't much of a difference.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

what brand is the best and were can i buy a shift kit for my 2001 ss A4???

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Hot SS View Post
    what brand is the best and were can i buy a shift kit for my 2001 ss A4???
    looks like u need your own new thread. HIJACKER! haha lol

last of the breed... urstolendesire's Avatar

Red
    2002 Transam

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    True that man! who ever posted this thread should choose what fits them best. Manual is really fun, but auto is "easier" but also more consistent at the track if ur into that. If i were you i'd learn manual either way cuz its really fun and you might get an opportunity to drive a sick car but can't cuz its stick. I work at an auto auction and if i couldn't drive stick, i'd miss out driving new vettes, gto's, cts-v's and all sorts of shit. make sure you learn on a POS tho, cuz it won't be good for the car to stall and buck all the time when u first try it.
    EXACTLY!! i wouldent give my 6 speed for the world...driving a t/a's 6 speed is unlike anything else IMO jus the fun of beiing able to pop the rear end loose anytime you want...plus, sounds bad ass at redlights

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I second that

Red
    2000 WS6 M6

Downshifting an auto is not as smooth and easy as a stick. I love being able to pop down several gears effortlessly getting ready for an intown or interstate pass. An auto isn't as smooth, or you have to wait a moment for the computer to decide to downshift. It's my daily driver and I'd never lose the M6. If I was serious into the track though, I'd go for a high stall A4.

Slipping the clutch and waggin the back end at any time is just too damn fun!

last of the breed... urstolendesire's Avatar

Red
    2002 Transam

IMO the only bad thing about it is it gets kinda hard to eat and shift sometimes..

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Eating being on the phone and stick a fun combo.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    Eating being on the phone and stick a fun combo.
    don't forget smokin' a fat L and chugging a Coors Light (while chirping 3rd). Even more fun lol!

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Lol your talking my language see we m6 drivers like to challenge ourselves. The only way to truely do this is to drive these muscle cars around UNDER THE INFLUENCE just to see what are limits are.

ARE YOU UP TO THE CHALLENGE ask yourself this question before you buy stick.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information