MAF screen question

This is a discussion on MAF screen question within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I was just curious about the MAF screen thing that i have been reading about. I am kind of new ...

White
    2002 Trans Am WS6

MAF screen question

I was just curious about the MAF screen thing that i have been reading about. I am kind of new with the V8 tech, since i just sold my turbo talon. I was wondering how you remove this and if it is good for the car and if it can give you any more HP?

Lots of posts on this...personally I'd leave it alone. Search "MAF screen"

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

it's a iffy subject. I've had ported MAF ends for 5 years and have had no problems. But there's no difference really in power

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Most will say leave it alone.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

The minimal possible gains aren't worth the possible headaches that come from removing it.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

The MAF is actually designed to read with the screen in.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Just leave the screen in unless you get it ported.

Its designed to work with the screen in place, not worth the hassle for the .1 HP gain

flat black
    if you look at the screen in the MAF it has a specific pattern...GM uses a honeycomb design. what it does is destorts the airflow path by making the air directed towards the sensor, which happens to be a transistor, as the air passes by the transistor is cooled giving a smaller resistance value which in turn increases voltage signal. this signal is inturn translated into the airfuel calculation which is also compounded by the 02 sensors...by descreening the MAF you are taking the chance of getting an incorrect reading, which will trip the PCM into going into backup mode which uses speed density...it will not throw a code as long as your MAP still works, the PCM will default to using manifold absolute pressure when the mass air flow readings are different than the inputed tables in the PCM....long story short...descreening the MAF is pointless, youll only gain a headache as stated above

Granatelli billet aluminum MAF housings

Not really pointless. I haven't read up on one single person claiming a ported/descreened MAF caused their car to run codes. Search yourself. If you want to be on the safe side, then join the GP because you can always switch it back to stock. There ARE gains to be made. More airflow=more HP...

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I have lots of times.

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I have lots of times.
    Prove it. Even if you can find one person up here that said a descreened MAF was a direct cause, I bet you I can find 20 more that said it worked for them. Everybody says they heard it can cause issues, but I've never seen somebody actually posting it.
    Last edited by GMS Fleet; 10-03-2006 at 01:26 PM.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I don't have to prove it. I been on these boards for 5 years and can't count the # of times. I myself had one of your pos maf's that made my car misfire and studder alot when the car was bone stock except for a lid and skipshift eliminator. Put stock maf back on, problem solved so I'd say I have 1st hnd experience.

Quote Originally Posted by GMS Fleet View Post
    Proove it. Even if you can find one person up here that said a descreened MAF was a direct cause, I bet you I can find 20 more that said it worked for them. Everybody says they heard it can cause issues, but I've never seen somebody actually posting it.
    I cant stand when people say they heard shit. Even when the items are garbage. Take the Tornado, for example, no one has ever fucking said they bought one for fun and tried it out! Theres gotta be some suckers around here for that...

Anyway, when my car was under warranty, it went in for some work (I cant remember) and when it came out, my screen was gone.
    99 T/A M6
    LS6 intake, Hooker Coated Long Tubes, Y-pipe w/1 carsound cat, Hooker Catback, MTi Clear Lid, FRA w/ Holley Power Shot, ASP crank pulley, 1.8 RRs, 3.73s w/TA girdle & Eaton Differential, Granatelli SFCs, Pro 5.0 Shifter, LS6 Clutch, Diablo, TByrnes Maf Ends (in winter), All the Free Mods

I don't have to prove it. I been on these boards for 5 years and can't count the # of times. I myself had one of your pos maf's that made my car misfire and studder alot when the car was bone stock except for a lid and skipshift eliminator. Put stock maf back on, problem solved so I'd say I have 1st hnd experience.
    Ive got the MAF ends and the only thing that happens with them is the car pings, but no codes. But these are ends..not MAFs. I havent heard much good things about them either.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    Ive got the MAF ends and the only thing that happens with them is the car pings, but no codes. But these are ends..not MAFs. I havent heard much good things about them either.
    Bingo! Problem with descreening a stock maf typically isn't throwing codes but rather runninng lean, pinging and pulling timing which will make the car slower. It's also been known to cause line pressure issues with the A4's from what I've read.

LACK OF TUNING? vs. LACK OF SENSOR ACCURACY?

It sounds like you are getting more air but staying in the same "boxes" on the ve table. This would result in a lean condition, and possible hesitancy etc. "I've heard" many times that people have had off idle problems with descreened mafs.

My question: Is this just because people are not retuning their tables like they aught to after the mod, or is it actually because the hot wire truely can't make acurate measurements without the screen in front of it?

There has to be horsepower in it if you could still get an accurate measurement.

I am not talking about the Granatelli MAFs, I am talking about the bellows I put up a GP for. The last post that started about our MAFs was like 10+ pages, so if you want information on that then go check that thread out.

The bellows are just as good as porting out and descreening your stock MAF. It does not come with the recalibrated MAF sensor, just the ends. I'm always reading about people hesitant to de-screen and port their current MAF, so with our GP they would have the peice-of-mind to know that for whatever reason, if they have issues or decide to sell their car & return it back to stock, they can.

Thread Information