Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

m6 vs. a4

This is a discussion on m6 vs. a4 within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by griftymcgrift i absolutely LOVE my 99T/A. its an auto. but....HOLY CRAP I WOULD KILL for the same ...

Quote Originally Posted by griftymcgrift View Post
    i absolutely LOVE my 99T/A. its an auto. but....HOLY CRAP I WOULD KILL for the same car in a manual. im seriously thinking about looking for one around the same price and buy/selling my way into an M6. its just the auto doesnt shift where i want it to EVER at part throttle. at WOT its amazing. but it may be the fact that my car has 140xxx too. im thinkin shift kit time.
    That can all be corrected in the tune. Once you have a good tuning software package you can do anything you need to the automatic,,,part throttle, full throttle shifts, firmness, downshift speeds, converter lockup speeds and firmness, and tailor it anyway you like,,,,,it's endless.

Then stick a converter in it and you'll never look back.

Don't know why there are so many auto haters here. Must be all the youngins ,,,,,,, I never let that be the choosing factor in buying a car. The auto's really need tuning software to wake the cars up,,,then again the 6-speed cars need upgrades too,,,,such as a good clutch setup, (cost as much as tuning software)
    6-speeds will tear up the rearend in a hurry,,,which has always been the worst part of these 4th gens anyway. Been there done that. I never really liked the 6-speed cars as much when the stock rearend was in question,,,that is really the first upgrade that should be done on a 6-speed car,,,otherwise I never consider them worthy for other mods.
    There are pro's and con's to both as I mentioned before, this could go on and on,,,which has also been done before.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

ok. girls go more nuts over a stick than an auto an day. Buttttttt! if you want road head all the time. stick is not the way you want to go. If you want a weekend warrior, and a toy go with stick. Makes you feel like your more apart of the car. I have an auto '89 formula, love it to death b/c its my first car. But i love my T/A WS.6 M6 b/c of being able to interact with it. But what it all comes down to is, do you like working throuh the gears? or being lazy and just riding? B/c your not really driving an auto. The auto drives you. Both are good for back roads and cruising. If your in a big city....id go a4. but a medium sized town or a smaller city id go m6. GO FOR WHAT YOU WANT. Both are good none the less. Test drive both and decide. Gotta say though.....When i test drove an M6 for the first time.......i fuckin melted on the spot. Nothin like feeling like your in control

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

my buddy is 6'10" and i dont think it would matter if it was a4 or m6 in his situation, when he sat down in my car with the seat all the way back his knees were jammed up against the dash, and it was even funnier seeing him getting out. kind of reminded me of an adult trying to drive a power wheels. lol

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I'm 6'6 and fit in my M6 just fine. Ohh and A4s dont leave rubber on the road in 4th.
    True.

Black
    '98 Z28

There's nothing like 3rd gear in the m6.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post

Don't know why there are so many auto haters here.
    they cant get road head, thats why
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

black

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Psychosis View Post

its basically a Porsche vs ferrari thing. posrches are technically good, but ferrari's have passion.
    is the passion masturbating the shifter?

Quote Originally Posted by RedFenix_68 View Post
    ok. girls go more nuts over a stick than an auto an day. Buttttttt! if you want road head all the time. stick is not the way you want to go.
    Wow,,,sounds like your making decisions with your other head

I personally am too old to be picking up girls (I'm married with children) so I don't really care what women think of my car. It's for my family and I.

Maybe if I were as young as some of you I might think differently

Quote Originally Posted by tpilews View Post
    There's nothing like 3rd gear in the m6.
    You lost me,,,,whats so spectacular about 3rd gear with a manual???

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    Black 2002 Trans Am WS6

get the M6, too much fun!!

Black
    '98 Z28

You lost me,,,,whats so spectacular about 3rd gear with a manual???
    The ls1/t-56 combo is known for pulling hard in third gear.

black

and a stalled automatic is known to pull threwout all the gears, point is?

It pulls the same in all gears

I have a 6 speed car as well and I honestly don't notice any difference in the car in 3rd gear or any other for that matter.

Probably just a feeling you get with the old butt dyno similar to when people wash there cars and it just feels faster when it's clean

Technically speaking though, if you want to talk torque multipication,,,in reality the affect gets worse (less) as you move up through the gears.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I think his point was that when cruising at highway speeds (70+) and downshifting into 3rd=

U-R-Sofa-King-Retarded SINISTER-TA's Avatar

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Psychosis View Post
    m6. no question. an a4 stalled is more consistent and just as fast (in drag, m6 would own on road course), but there is nothing fun about it, unless you're foot is down. manuals are always fun. You can be behind a prius with a m6 and still be having fun. if its just a fun car and not dd, auto shouldn't be a consideration. and i have a 98 m6 and nothings wrong with it.

its basically a Porsche vs ferrari thing. posrches are technically good, but ferrari's have passion.
    Sorry...not to start a war, but this is just a dumb and bias statement.

Black
    '98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I think his point was that when cruising at highway speeds (70+) and downshifting into 3rd=
    Yes, thank you. Sometimes it's like speaking to 2 yr olds.

Yes, thank you. Sometimes it's like speaking to 2 yr olds.
    I'm old enough to be your dad there sonny. Maybe if you were more clear in what you meant I would have understood. Not that what you clearified here means anything either,,,,but we aren't mind readers. You didn't mention in your original post that you downshifted to 3rd,,,only that third gear pulled hard. That could mean a number of things.

Still as I said,,,owning both an auto and a manual,,,I have downshifted to 3rd at highway speeds,,,,I don't see where that is any better as apposed to an auto dropping to second gear

This point is somewhat moot. There are many more viable issues to compare these 2 transmissions that would be more helpfull to the original poster,,,,such as overdrives, clutches, rearends, etc.....sheeesh,,,kids

Black
    '98 Z28

I'm old enough to be your dad there sonny.
    Why do old people always feel like this is a valid argument to support their OPINION?

Why do old people always feel like this is a valid argument to support their OPINION?
    Ummmmm because you made the comment that you were speaking to a 2 year old???? You seem to forget the things you have said just the day before....like the vague 3rd gear comment,,,and we were supposed to assume you meant that as a downshift????

It's okay though Us old fellers here understand you young folk still mean well

Black
    '98 Z28

Ummmmm because you made the comment that you were speaking to a 2 year old???? You seem to forget the things you have said just the day before....like the vague 3rd gear comment,,,and we were supposed to assume you meant that as a downshift????

It's okay though Us old fellers here understand you young folk still mean well
    Well, to clarify more, I really meant third gear anytime. I remember when I had my T/A really getting that adrenaline rush when in third. I don't know if it was the butt-o-meter or what. It may be the high speed that third takes you to; from about 75ish to 115-120. I'm just saying it was where I got the most thrill out of the t/a.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information