Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

m6 vs. a4

This is a discussion on m6 vs. a4 within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; thank you for your guy's input it was very helpful!!...

thank you for your guy's input it was very helpful!!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

M6 FTW! Control issues here....

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    A4.
    in an A4 you can have one hand on the wheel, a beer in the other and getting road head from some hottie.
    to me thats more fun than having some "control" over the gears.
    Agreeed
    hell yes
    No Replacement For Displacement

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

I'm 6'4" so the auto is best for me. Though I wish I had a manual at times.
    If height isn't an issue and you don't plan on going to the track, you might want a M6.
    Last edited by Kup98ss; 04-26-2008 at 03:49 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

It's all personal preference. I used to have a M6 Formula, and now I have one with a A4.

The M6 was my first standard car, so I wasn't that good at driving it. Most of the times I was just frustrated with it...I couldn't launch at the track to save my life, I'd miss gears once in a while, I hated getting stuck in traffic. I neverfelt 100% comfortable driving the car. I got better, but somepeople are just better than others at driving a stick.

I DID have fun with it though...every once in a while I'd get into the groove, and banging through the gears was so much fun...I loved highway onramps more than anything, what a rush winding the tach past 5k before shifting.

Now my A4... it's easy to drive, no pressure, who cares about being stuck in traffic. It's like driving Grandpa's Oldsmobile.

I miss the M6.

A4 is actually much better for my drive, but the M6 is a much more involved driving experience. I remember and certainly don't miss the bad times with the M6, but I really miss the experiences that made driving one such a rush.

Drive both (and don't be shy about getting on them) and then decide.

Black
    2001 Pontiac

Quote Originally Posted by lawood View Post
    i now have a4 and it is super consistant, i love it
    Quote Originally Posted by lawood View Post
    you can defiantly tear stuff up in either, but i tore up more with the stick
    Those are a couple of the most true statements there are here.
    A4.
    Notice how many people said they used to have the M6, now have the A4 & love it.

"Punch it & Steer, ..."

White
    1999 SS

m6, i wouldnt even think about getting an auto, unless you just drag it and need consistent times. Nothings better than ripping through those first three gears, god it is fun! or when your in 5th and need to pass on the highway, throw it in 3rd wot and just rip by the cars, god i wish it wasnt snowing right now, f'n minnesota

Quicksilver Metallic
    2005 GTO

You can down shift in an A4 as well. Half throttle=1 gear, floor it=2 gears. Granted, there is a little hesitation before it kicks in, but it'll definitely throw your head back. I can chirp the tires between 1st and 2nd all day with my stock (except for a lid) A4 Firehawk. When I get a stall and shift kit...the fun shall begin. But even stock it's not bad at all.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

I love my stick, and I used to have an A4.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

There are times when I miss the M6, but then I think about how much money i had to dump into them fixing Hydraulics and synchros and I am happy with my A4. M6 or A4 A WS-6 is still a blast to drive either way.

Black
    '98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Kup98ss View Post
    I'm 6'4" so the auto is best for me. Though I wish I has a manual at times.
    I height isn't an issue and you don't plan on going to the track, you might want a M6.
    I'm 6'4" also and had no problems with the M6 as a DD. I have long legs too, 36" inseam pant.

We have both 6-speed and an automatic. Ironically my wife prefers to drive the 6-speed car so I cruise the automatic around.

Personally I like them both. I don't believe one is better than the other really when it comes to the entire car in general.

You can nit pick both of them all day long,,,in the end it's what the owner prefers and what suits him/her best..

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

With the current price of gas, M6 should get you better mileage as a daily driver. Depends on how you drive it I guess!!

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

I think the main point to be made here is, no matter if you get a A4 or M6, you're still getting a '01-'02 WS6!!!! Can I get an Amen?

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

Quote Originally Posted by tpilews View Post
    I'm 6'4" also and had no problems with the M6 as a DD. I have long legs too, 36" inseam pant.
    I can drive one fine, but my legs cramp quickly (not enough room to streatch much) my left knee would hit the steering wheel at times, (not to safe on turns) and I have big feet that would scrape the plastic above the clutch pedal at times.(better to only worry about the one foot scraping)

It's just that much more I have to worry about. Though the Corvette I had fit like a glove. (99 hard top M6)

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I'm 6'6 and fit in my M6 just fine. Ohh and A4s dont leave rubber on the road in 4th.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

i have one thing to add about the M6 if thats what u so choose.......i BELIEVE the syncros are diff in the 01 and 02 models....im sure somone here can correct me...might even be 00 as well......but stay away from the m6 98s and 99s.....my 99 would grind in 3rd and 5th all the time......my 01 is buttery smooth still.....brass syncros vs some other material maybe? dont remember....somone chime in!!!!!

Black
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

A4 all the way!!!!!
    1999 BLACK WS6 RAM AIR TRANS AM A4 (1 of 274 WS6 coupe Canada only models)

ASC conversion date: 6/10/99
    ASC build# : 4310 of 5007
    Hood Sequence #74992V

w/over (50) performance & appearance mods!!!

My Albums: http://community.webshots.com/user/kenawink

medium blue metallic
    99 Trans Am

i absolutely LOVE my 99T/A. its an auto. but....HOLY CRAP I WOULD KILL for the same car in a manual. im seriously thinking about looking for one around the same price and buy/selling my way into an M6. its just the auto doesnt shift where i want it to EVER at part throttle. at WOT its amazing. but it may be the fact that my car has 140xxx too. im thinkin shift kit time.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

m6. no question. an a4 stalled is more consistent and just as fast (in drag, m6 would own on road course), but there is nothing fun about it, unless you're foot is down. manuals are always fun. You can be behind a prius with a m6 and still be having fun. if its just a fun car and not dd, auto shouldn't be a consideration. and i have a 98 m6 and nothings wrong with it.

its basically a Porsche vs ferrari thing. posrches are technically good, but ferrari's have passion.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information