Results 1 to 15 of 15

lt1 vs. 02 stang gt

This is a discussion on lt1 vs. 02 stang gt within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; what would the out come be the lt1 has 3.73 rear end and flowmaster exhaust (97 WS.6 auto) the stang ...

  1. #1
    Member brendan.9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Arborg Manitoba
    Posts
    221

    Red, Pewter
    03 cobra07 street glide

    Question lt1 vs. 02 stang gt

    what would the out come be the lt1 has 3.73 rear end and flowmaster exhaust (97 WS.6 auto) the stang has cold air slp cat back exhaust and i believe that is it.

  2. #2
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    vote goes toward the ws6

  3. #3
    Auto Painter RyanJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,002

    White
    1998 Trans Am

    WS6 should have no problem especially with those gears. 02 GT's are slow unless you sink all lot of cash into them. Now if it was a Cobra Termi then it would be a different story.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by brendan.9 View Post
    what would the out come be the lt1 has 3.73 rear end and flowmaster exhaust (97 WS.6 auto) the stang has cold air slp cat back exhaust and i believe that is it.
    If the stang is a 5 speed and he can drive it will be somewhat close with advatange to the ws6.

  5. #5
    Auto Painter RyanJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,002

    White
    1998 Trans Am

    I raced several 02's when my car just had the Volant and ate them up lik nothing. With 3.73's that auto should launch like a rocket and that 5 spd won't make any difference. The cold air and cat back won't make nearly the difference better gears will. I have owned several Mustangs one was a 96 GT 5spd and I had a CAI and exhaust and it was a little better but when I swapped in the 3.73's it was like a new car. The 02's have more hp than a 96 but if it still limited to the stock gears it will always lose to a TA A4 or T56. Now if the TA had 2.72 like some of the A4's came with it would be a hard call. I drove one once and hated it that's why I got the white one I have, didn't need TC and I wanted the 3.23 package. There were no T56 cars or i would have got one, all the one I found at Pontiac dealers in MA were A4's except a red w/ tan interior(not my style).

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    I raced several 02's when my car just had the Volant and ate them up lik nothing. With 3.73's that auto should launch like a rocket and that 5 spd won't make any difference. The cold air and cat back won't make nearly the difference better gears will. I have owned several Mustangs one was a 96 GT 5spd and I had a CAI and exhaust and it was a little better but when I swapped in the 3.73's it was like a new car. The 02's have more hp than a 96 but if it still limited to the stock gears it will always lose to a TA A4 or T56. Now if the TA had 2.72 like some of the A4's came with it would be a hard call. I drove one once and hated it that's why I got the white one I have, didn't need TC and I wanted the 3.23 package. There were no T56 cars or i would have got one, all the one I found at Pontiac dealers in MA were A4's except a red w/ tan interior(not my style).
    You guys are totally forgeting that the OP has a lt1 car, not ls1. I watched my two buddies race the other day, stock 02 gt convert 5 speed only mod cobra rims with 275s street tires vs 95 T/A rebuilt a4 with shift kit, shorty headers, catback, CAI, stock 3.23 gears. The Gt jumped a car off the line and at about 100-110mph the T/A nose was only at his rear fender. I too was in shock until 20min later my 05 legacy gt automatic did the same thing to the 02 GT that it did to the T/A. My best time is a 13.67, as i said the advantage should to go the 97 ws6 but weird shit happens when cars are that close.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 04-08-2010 at 08:29 AM.

  7. #7
    Member qwk93ta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fairfield, Ohio
    Age
    54
    Posts
    944

    Black
    00 WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    WS6 should have no problem especially with those gears. 02 GT's are slow unless you sink all lot of cash into them. Now if it was a Cobra Termi then it would be a different story.
    I agree....

  8. #8
    Auto Painter RyanJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,002

    White
    1998 Trans Am

    I've driven a few LT1 WS6 TA's and a few regular Formula's. 6spd and A4 cars. My LS1 was faster stock vs stock. Also you have to remember there is a difference between 3.23 and a 3.73 when you come out of the hole or even a slow roll.

  9. #9
    Junior Member 14camarolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Laredo tx
    Posts
    98

    White
    99 Camaro Z28

    it would be a 50/50 chance ..but gl on the race if it goes down .

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    I've driven a few LT1 WS6 TA's and a few regular Formula's. 6spd and A4 cars. My LS1 was faster stock vs stock. Also you have to remember there is a difference between 3.23 and a 3.73 when you come out of the hole or even a slow roll.
    True, but if the stick driver is good enough you can out launch a stock stall auto pretty easily.

  11. #11
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Race them and find out. That's more productive than internet guessing.

  12. #12
    Auto Painter RyanJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,002

    White
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    True, but if the stick driver is good enough you can out launch a stock stall auto pretty easily.
    That small advantage still won't be enough against the 3.73s. Also Mustangs 5 spds are decent but their not geared well from the factory. If it's a slow roll then the stick advantage isn't a big deal. I race my buddy's Z28 6spd with bolt ons like my car and were side by side from 40 till just starts pulling after my car hits 4th.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Transamws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    DMV
    Posts
    1,036

    NBM
    '00 A4 SS

    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, I think it'll be pretty close, if the guy with the GT knows how to drive.

  14. #14
    Senior Member MrMasterCraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    1,266

    2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Race them and find out. That's more productive than internet guessing.


    I'd rather give advice than give a guess. You never know if he's hiding something (even if he's your best friend). If you're not on DRs or slicks, spin your tires over just enough to clean them off (I've never spun mine more than 3-4 seconds), load up your converter as much as possible, and let it go. I'm assuming you're racing from a dig???

    If he's a 5 speed, it'll better your chances from a dig, but if he's running you in a fordomatic, i've heard those things are pigs as well (however i have no experience with them).

    The latest mustang kill for my camaro was from a dig, but I happily gave him his 20mph roll that he wanted afterwards, yet still came around him at 80mph or so.

    Run him and find out what happens. Just don't forget to clean your rubber and load up!!!

    2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

  15. #15
    Senior Member big hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    manitoba, canada
    Posts
    1,731

    silver
    2002 ws6

    dont forget the 97 ws6 lta has an hp advantage over a regular lt1. the edge definately goes in the lt1's favor on this one.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Evo vs my Stang
    By Crimson Sin in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 03-23-2009, 05:56 PM
  2. Stang Up!
    By TempleU_WS6 in forum Multimedia Section
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-10-2009, 04:43 AM
  3. 04 C5 vs S/C stang
    By Danger731 in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-13-2008, 01:09 PM
  4. My T/A vs 01 Stang VID
    By eltransam2k in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 10-24-2008, 12:38 PM
  5. First Stang.....and second!
    By Arrison24 in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 03-01-2007, 11:56 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •