Red, Pewter
    03 cobra07 street glide

Question lt1 vs. 02 stang gt

what would the out come be the lt1 has 3.73 rear end and flowmaster exhaust (97 WS.6 auto) the stang has cold air slp cat back exhaust and i believe that is it.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

vote goes toward the ws6

White
    1998 Trans Am

WS6 should have no problem especially with those gears. 02 GT's are slow unless you sink all lot of cash into them. Now if it was a Cobra Termi then it would be a different story.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by brendan.9 View Post
    what would the out come be the lt1 has 3.73 rear end and flowmaster exhaust (97 WS.6 auto) the stang has cold air slp cat back exhaust and i believe that is it.
    If the stang is a 5 speed and he can drive it will be somewhat close with advatange to the ws6.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I raced several 02's when my car just had the Volant and ate them up lik nothing. With 3.73's that auto should launch like a rocket and that 5 spd won't make any difference. The cold air and cat back won't make nearly the difference better gears will. I have owned several Mustangs one was a 96 GT 5spd and I had a CAI and exhaust and it was a little better but when I swapped in the 3.73's it was like a new car. The 02's have more hp than a 96 but if it still limited to the stock gears it will always lose to a TA A4 or T56. Now if the TA had 2.72 like some of the A4's came with it would be a hard call. I drove one once and hated it that's why I got the white one I have, didn't need TC and I wanted the 3.23 package. There were no T56 cars or i would have got one, all the one I found at Pontiac dealers in MA were A4's except a red w/ tan interior(not my style).

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    I raced several 02's when my car just had the Volant and ate them up lik nothing. With 3.73's that auto should launch like a rocket and that 5 spd won't make any difference. The cold air and cat back won't make nearly the difference better gears will. I have owned several Mustangs one was a 96 GT 5spd and I had a CAI and exhaust and it was a little better but when I swapped in the 3.73's it was like a new car. The 02's have more hp than a 96 but if it still limited to the stock gears it will always lose to a TA A4 or T56. Now if the TA had 2.72 like some of the A4's came with it would be a hard call. I drove one once and hated it that's why I got the white one I have, didn't need TC and I wanted the 3.23 package. There were no T56 cars or i would have got one, all the one I found at Pontiac dealers in MA were A4's except a red w/ tan interior(not my style).
    You guys are totally forgeting that the OP has a lt1 car, not ls1. I watched my two buddies race the other day, stock 02 gt convert 5 speed only mod cobra rims with 275s street tires vs 95 T/A rebuilt a4 with shift kit, shorty headers, catback, CAI, stock 3.23 gears. The Gt jumped a car off the line and at about 100-110mph the T/A nose was only at his rear fender. I too was in shock until 20min later my 05 legacy gt automatic did the same thing to the 02 GT that it did to the T/A. My best time is a 13.67, as i said the advantage should to go the 97 ws6 but weird shit happens when cars are that close.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 04-08-2010 at 07:29 AM.

Black
    00 WS6

WS6 should have no problem especially with those gears. 02 GT's are slow unless you sink all lot of cash into them. Now if it was a Cobra Termi then it would be a different story.
    I agree....

White
    1998 Trans Am

I've driven a few LT1 WS6 TA's and a few regular Formula's. 6spd and A4 cars. My LS1 was faster stock vs stock. Also you have to remember there is a difference between 3.23 and a 3.73 when you come out of the hole or even a slow roll.

White
    99 Camaro Z28

it would be a 50/50 chance ..but gl on the race if it goes down .

Arctic White, red/gray

I've driven a few LT1 WS6 TA's and a few regular Formula's. 6spd and A4 cars. My LS1 was faster stock vs stock. Also you have to remember there is a difference between 3.23 and a 3.73 when you come out of the hole or even a slow roll.
    True, but if the stick driver is good enough you can out launch a stock stall auto pretty easily.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Race them and find out. That's more productive than internet guessing.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    True, but if the stick driver is good enough you can out launch a stock stall auto pretty easily.
    That small advantage still won't be enough against the 3.73s. Also Mustangs 5 spds are decent but their not geared well from the factory. If it's a slow roll then the stick advantage isn't a big deal. I race my buddy's Z28 6spd with bolt ons like my car and were side by side from 40 till just starts pulling after my car hits 4th.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, I think it'll be pretty close, if the guy with the GT knows how to drive.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Race them and find out. That's more productive than internet guessing.

I'd rather give advice than give a guess. You never know if he's hiding something (even if he's your best friend). If you're not on DRs or slicks, spin your tires over just enough to clean them off (I've never spun mine more than 3-4 seconds), load up your converter as much as possible, and let it go. I'm assuming you're racing from a dig???

If he's a 5 speed, it'll better your chances from a dig, but if he's running you in a fordomatic, i've heard those things are pigs as well (however i have no experience with them).

The latest mustang kill for my camaro was from a dig, but I happily gave him his 20mph roll that he wanted afterwards, yet still came around him at 80mph or so.

Run him and find out what happens. Just don't forget to clean your rubber and load up!!!

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

silver
    2002 ws6

dont forget the 97 ws6 lta has an hp advantage over a regular lt1. the edge definately goes in the lt1's favor on this one.

Thread Information