Thread: LT1 v. LS1

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

LT1 v. LS1

As of right now I have about 3k to spend and there are some really nice looking T/A's with the LT1 for around or close to that price. I had an LS1 T/A M6 for about 2 years and I loved it; I just happen to lack the funds for another LS1 at this point. My question is how much of a power difference would I expect as either an M6 or an A4 with the LT1 compared to the LS1? Also if I go the LT1 route I'll do full bolt-ons progressively through out the rest of summer and fall. Any input, especially from people that owned both cars, will be greatly appreciated!

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Stock LT1 was 275 hp and the stock WS6 LS1 has 325 hp so that accounts for 50 hp. Now if you compare a stock LT1 A4 to a stock LS1 M6 then you are going to feel some difference in the Butt Dyno. I like my LS1 but alot can be done with the LT1.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

Ya that's how I feel but like I said I never owned an LT1 and I am a little skeptical. I test drove a 5.0 mustang and it had nothing on my LS1. I know I shouldn't compare the 2 but I'm worried I might get the same result with an LT1. Naturally the LT1's I'm looking at are high mileage so I plan on doing a rebuild either to stock or boring it out. just a matter of time I guess. If I can get an LT1 with a decent body I think I'll pull the trigger.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by 1998 T/A View Post
    Ya that's how I feel but like I said I never owned an LT1 and I am a little skeptical. I test drove a 5.0 mustang and it had nothing on my LS1. I know I shouldn't compare the 2 but I'm worried I might get the same result with an LT1. Naturally the LT1's I'm looking at are high mileage so I plan on doing a rebuild either to stock or boring it out. just a matter of time I guess. If I can get an LT1 with a decent body I think I'll pull the trigger.
    LT1=350 CID>302 CID 5.0

You'd have no trouble hitting well over LS1 numbers with a little old SBC 350..

The after market for it is phenominal..

Anything you can dream up has been already done to it..

This is old school muscle,, you're still gonna see the 1955/56 motor mounts cast in the front of the block..
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-22-2012 at 06:27 PM.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Well @ least somewhere behind your OPTI that is..

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

All I have to say is LS motors are far better then OPTI any day.... My buddy has replaced his 3 times in the last yr. When they run, they run, get them a little wet and you're on the side of the road cussing

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

I have heard a lot of issues with the OPTI but is there anyway to really resolve the problem?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

You can convert to individual coils, like the LS1. It's a bit pricey, but so is replacing the opti.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

I see...would I just buy LS1 ignition coils, is there a write up available? There is also pretty nice Camaro I am looking at just had the OPTI replaced as well as the water pump. How often does the OPTI fail, or can you not really predict that?

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by 1998 T/A View Post
    I have heard a lot of issues with the OPTI but is there anyway to really resolve the problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    You can convert to individual coils, like the LS1. It's a bit pricey, but so is replacing the opti.
    you have to do a 24x conversion. From what I remember it is a new wire harness for the PCM and LS1 coils. About $1200 total together. It's not a cheap fix but it will get rid of opti.

Mystic Teal Metallic:320c
    1998 Camaro Z/28

imo ls1s fbodys are easier to work on as well got a little more room to work with not much but some and there are a couple what i consider odd things ie. the waterpump is driven by a gear on the cam or something along those lines, my uncle has always owned lt1s and since ive had my ls he is looking to get one now

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I've owned both engines LT1 & LS1 both Trans Ams,although i didnt have any major problems with my LT1 T/A I really enjoy my LS1 better,and with the LT1 T/A a lot of performance upgrades were put into that car as far as heads,headers,full suspension,full exhuast,shift kit etc.but when the car was totaled i lost out,so this time around i went for a car that was eligible for full coverage i know most insurance companies dont pay for mods,but as long as they can cover the cost of the car im good,it all boils down to what you want to do, if youre not too sure about the LT1 you can save up a little more money to get the LS1,believe me i been in your shoes sometimes you just want another fbody you dont care if its an LT1 or LS1

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

J/k.
    Both engines are respectable, and take to mods very well. In the end, pick whatever will make you happy and satisfied. You're the one who has to live with it.

Navy Blue Metallic

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by fbodyNATION View Post
    if youre not too sure about the LT1 you can save up a little more money to get the LS1,believe me i been in your shoes sometimes you just want another fbody you dont care if its an LT1 or LS1
    Ya I can live with an LT1 T/A or Camaro to be honest. With just graduating college and the money I'm making now is really what I can afford. Once I get that "professional" I'll spring the cash for an LS1, an excellent condition one for that matter.

red
    1999 trans am ws6

I built my lt1 ta. It was just gm hotcam kit , shorty headers, exhaust... etc.. Did 315 hp to rear wheels. 345 ft pounds torque. Was fun. I rebuilt complete 43,000 mile engine. Mainly cause it sat on a engine stand in my shop for many years out of a wrecked car. I repalced everything. Used cheap opti. dies after 1 yr of weekend only use. repalced with msd. The torque of the lt1 i really liked. enjoyed the car. I then later ram aired it and that really woke it up. Original dyno of 315, guy said he thought something was resticting it.. well it was the cheap cold air intake system.. I now own a 99 ta with 417 hp to rear wheels. Yes it is Way faster, but i sometimes miss the low end torque of the old school lt engine..Its all about what you can afford. I bought the lt when that was all i could find to restore. My friends son who bought my lt car, loves it...

red, yellow
    88 rx5.7 69 chevelle SS

i had an lt1 in my rx7 for about 3 years. i was so scared of driving it because of the opti spark. one day i had a bad issue with it hesitating badly no clue why. swapped out the opti and it was fine about 4 months later i was on the side of the road got sick of it and put an LS1 in and its going on 4 years strong and never left me on the side of the road! and to boot my cammed lt1 made 305hp to the floor my stock untuned ls1 is making 317hp

Black
    79 Trans Am

I almost bought a 97WS6 before I got my 98. The optispark is what really drove me towards the LS1

Thread Information