lt-1to LS1 swap

This is a discussion on lt-1to LS1 swap within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Hello my name is Justin and Im the happy new owner of a 93 Trans Am as I posted in ...

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

lt-1to LS1 swap

Hello my name is Justin and Im the happy new owner of a 93 Trans Am as I posted in the new members section. I tried a search on this but nothing that i was looking for came up. Basically the LT1 is smoked. I can get a hell of a Deal on a Brandnew LS1 with all accesories and belt drive.Also Getting complete Brand new wiring harness from headlights to tail with ECM for a 98. I know that the cut off year for the Lt1 was 97.

From what I can see other than the obvious motor change to the LS series, Just the front clip changed a bit as some small asthetics. Its their anything I missed in doing this?Is this even Do able? Any major issues? Has anyone on here Tried this? the Only reason Im seriously considering is because I only paid $1,000 for the Car adn like the LS engine better than the LT. If its not possible then I may just go LT4 and Call it done. I have I feeling this will bankrupt me lol. Note I have done numerous engine swaps in Jeeps but this is a first for me on a late model GM.

Thanks for any help guys!

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Never mind Jane says post already covers this... my fault

11 Second Club 11.34 bigboykilroy's Avatar

Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

If you have the doner car then it is possible. It all depennds on the year of the doner car, and how much labor you are willing to put into it. PM me if you need assistance or if you have questions.

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Quote Originally Posted by bigboykilroy View Post
    If you have the doner car then it is possible. It all depennds on the year of the doner car, and how much labor you are willing to put into it. PM me if you need assistance or if you have questions.
    Well I wont have the Donor car as the parts Im getting are all brand new. Apparently after taking to one of the local Trans Am guys here in youngstown I will need a new K member as well. As I said I am getting the complete Brand new car harness from head lights to tail lights and PCM for I believe a 98 or 99 M6 car. I forgot what my girlfriends dad said as far as the year. Ive done swaps like this on Jeeps a bunch of times but they are way less complicated. Apparently I will need a new gauge cluster which is no problem Ill hit ebay for that. I also have to figure out if my AC and heater will work correctly. we'll see what happens Im buying the motor either way. Im sure I can flip it to a hot rod guy around here worst case!

11 Second Club 11.34 bigboykilroy's Avatar

Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

Just be careful what year you get. A 98 PCM, body harness, Engine Harness ect is totally different then the 99+, That also goes with the car electronics and Inst clusters. The LS1 can be complicated. PM me if you need assistance.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by bigboykilroy View Post
    Just be careful what year you get. A 98 PCM, body harness, Engine Harness ect is totally different then the 99+, That also goes with the car electronics and Inst clusters. The LS1 can be complicated. PM me if you need assistance.

^^^ we much be the swap techs on here.. haha... i would go lt4 OR... sell your TA and buy a ls model roller.... but thats my opinion... even if you have almost all wire stuff... its stilol gonna be a pretty penny...

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Yea I found an 00 WS6 for a damn good price I may buy it.

Red
    96 TA WS6 with LS1/Trans

Hello Justin:

I wrote a long reply but I got logged off. Im currently doing a LS1 conversion on my 96 TA WS6 and to tell you the truth you are much better off rebuilding your LT1 or putting an LT4 in it. The LS1 is a better engine but the money you will spend on putting an LS1 in your TA and doing all the necessary mods is more than you are probably willing or able to spend. If you have to have a LS1 buy a TA or Camaro that already has one in it. If you are interested in everything I have encountered, the differences in LT1's versus LS1's, the money I have already spent on my car and the little bit left on my car than reply to this thread and give me your email address and I will be more than happy to tell you what I have gone through so far to do my conversion!

Good Luck

White
    1997 Pontiac Firebird

there is a guy that i know of that lives in texas that does that kind of stuff for a living. his website is www.hpsalvage.com, very professional but hasnt been updated in a while, would be best to call or email him

Thread Information