black
    02 trans am ws6

ls7

you think a ls7 would bolt right in . would my a/t handle that:

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by txoutlaw69 View Post
    you think a ls7 would bolt right in . would my a/t handle that:
    the tranny would need a little work but the engine is a dry sump type and that might be a real pain but anything is possible

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

The block has the same mounts as the LS1.
    As mentioned, to stick with the dry sump it might be a pain.

The LS7 is a wonderful motor, but for $14K, I can build a motor to be MUCH faster.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Pewter
    00 Formula M6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    The block has the same mounts as the LS1.
    As mentioned, to stick with the dry sump it might be a pain.

The LS7 is a wonderful motor, but for $14K, I can build a motor to be MUCH faster.
    thats true cuz how much u got in ur engine an ur putting more to the wheels than the ls7 puts at the flywheel.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by ldanny View Post
    thats true cuz how much u got in ur engine an ur putting more to the wheels than the ls7 puts at the flywheel.
    I could be wrong, bt wasnt the LS7 underrated? They claim 505hp, but dont they put down like verry high 400's? If so then he will be right around what an LS7 puts at the flywheel.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

440-450 at the wheels for a stock LS7.

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

Dump about 10K into an LS1 and you'll get a hell of alot more power than that.

Silver
    98 A4 TA

The LS7 has been dropped in a 4th gen f-body by Katech Engines. They put one into a white Camaro. I spoke to the project manager about the mod, and he gave me a lot of information about it. Apparently, the LS7's external dimensions are exactly the same as the LS1 and LS2's, but the fitment meant they had to remove the K-member and install a tubular one. The oil pan had trouble fitting in, and they had to fabricate a few parts to fit and run the dry-sump system. Our TA's stock auto transmission could not be used, and the one that the corvette has is the only trans equipped with a computer that will allow the engine's ECM to speak to it correctly... an older 4L60E or 4L80E just won't work. A Tremec might, but I didn't ask because I have an A4. The driveline had to be completely modified, as well. They said it's a badass motor for an F-body, but all in all, plunking that LS7 in the 'Maro cost them just over $70,000, and from start to finish, the project was a nightmare. The good thing is that because of that initial venture, they now have LS7 engine packages that they can sell to the f-body community.

I'm looking at a different option because I don't want to pay 65-75 grand. The same company makes another engine that's ideal for us. They take a new LS2 block, resleeve the cylinders to make it a 427, throw in their forged pistons, callies crank and mahle rings and sell the short block for 6995. They call it the Value 427. The other nice thing about that is that the LS1's accessories bolt right up to an LS2's block with NO modification, and your original ECM can be used, it just needs to be tuned. An LS7 would require all new accessories and ECM. I don't think you need to change the k-member, but I'd have to ask again to be sure.

If you take your car to them (like I'm planning to do) they'll fully assemble the engine with your choice of pistons, rings, crank, cam, heads (I'm going with LS7 heads), intake, and coil packs, then pull and rebuild your transmission (the stock trans can't handle the torque), break in the engine on their engine dyno, install the new engine, and tune the setup on their chassis dyno. This will cost about $25k, give or take a grand, if you have Katech do all the work. When it's all done, you have a smooth, daily-driveable 427 pushing 590HP at the crank, naturally aspirated. Just something to think about.

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Kalepsis View Post
    The LS7 has been dropped in a 4th gen f-body by Katech Engines. They put one into a white Camaro. I spoke to the project manager about the mod, and he gave me a lot of information about it. Apparently, the LS7's external dimensions are exactly the same as the LS1 and LS2's, but the fitment meant they had to remove the K-member and install a tubular one. The oil pan had trouble fitting in, and they had to fabricate a few parts to fit and run the dry-sump system. Our TA's stock auto transmission could not be used, and the one that the corvette has is the only trans equipped with a computer that will allow the engine's ECM to speak to it correctly... an older 4L60E or 4L80E just won't work. A Tremec might, but I didn't ask because I have an A4. The driveline had to be completely modified, as well. They said it's a badass motor for an F-body, but all in all, plunking that LS7 in the 'Maro cost them just over $70,000, and from start to finish, the project was a nightmare. The good thing is that because of that initial venture, they now have LS7 engine packages that they can sell to the f-body community.

I'm looking at a different option because I don't want to pay 65-75 grand. The same company makes another engine that's ideal for us. They take a new LS2 block, resleeve the cylinders to make it a 427, throw in their forged pistons, callies crank and mahle rings and sell the short block for 6995. They call it the Value 427. The other nice thing about that is that the LS1's accessories bolt right up to an LS2's block with NO modification, and your original ECM can be used, it just needs to be tuned. An LS7 would require all new accessories and ECM. I don't think you need to change the k-member, but I'd have to ask again to be sure.

If you take your car to them (like I'm planning to do) they'll fully assemble the engine with your choice of pistons, rings, crank, cam, heads (I'm going with LS7 heads), intake, and coil packs, then pull and rebuild your transmission (the stock trans can't handle the torque), break in the engine on their engine dyno, install the new engine, and tune the setup on their chassis dyno. This will cost about $25k, give or take a grand, if you have Katech do all the work. When it's all done, you have a smooth, daily-driveable 427 pushing 590HP at the crank, naturally aspirated. Just something to think about.
    If you have patience and a space to do the install yourself, that will save you quite a bit right off the bat. $25,000 for 590 at the crank seems a bit much to me.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Can you use the stock LS1 oil pan on the LS7?? Will it clear?
    I know I had to make a couple minor changes to the LQ9 block, but it wasn't much. Just the oil pick up tube.

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

Can you use the stock LS1 oil pan on the LS7?? Will it clear?
    I know I had to make a couple minor changes to the LQ9 block, but it wasn't much. Just the oil pick up tube.
    If you wanna use the stock one you have to modify it me thinks.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

You know what would be baller, a ls7 rx7 or 240sx, now that would be nice, in a video game i put a ls7 in a del sol lol.

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    You know what would be baller, a ls7 rx7 or 240sx, now that would be nice, in a video game i put a ls7 in a del sol lol.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Heartbreak1 View Post
    If you wanna use the stock one you have to modify it me thinks.
    I don't know for sure.

If it is anything like the other LSx's, it should go on and fit on the stock k-member.
    Not sure how the block oiling is though. I would have to do some serious research...

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

With that motor in the rx7 or 240sx and some drag radials it would be a mid 10 second car.

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    With that motor in the rx7 or 240sx and some drag radials it would be a mid 10 second car.
    Yea but dude come on, an LSX in a rice burner?

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

I don't know for sure.

If it is anything like the other LSx's, it should go on and fit on the stock k-member.
    Not sure how the block oiling is though. I would have to do some serious research...
    I'd be interested to know as well. If anything the shape of the pan maybe different with the same mounting points.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

People put ls1s in rx7s and 240s all the time, there are now websites that sell everything you need and with stock ls1s they have ran mid 11s with drag radials and 11.8-low 12s with street tires. That much power in a 2700lbs car is awesome, i have seen a rx7 with a ls2 in it, but never a ls7

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I'd be interested to know as well. If anything the shape of the pan maybe different with the same mounting points.
    The pan itself I believe would bolt up. I would be more worried about the oil pump and oiling itself.

EDIT: Found a picture of the bottom of the LS7 block. Looks like the F-Body pan would bolt up. I am sure there would be issues though depending on oil pump and crank.

I REALLY want to get a 1994 RX-7.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

This seems like a legit addition to this thread...

as always, the comments are enjoyable to read:

The whole point of an evo is not to be fast, its to be fast and have fuckin handling capabilities, not to just go straight. Why would you go red neck on an evo???
    Just fucking retarded

or

you just made that evo heavy as hell

or my favorite:

Wheel spin is NOT impressive.  Gay

Thread Information