Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

ls7

This is a discussion on ls7 within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; you think a ls7 would bolt right in . would my a/t handle that:...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tx
    Posts
    129

    black
    02 trans am ws6

    ls7

    you think a ls7 would bolt right in . would my a/t handle that:

  2. #2
    someday joejenkinsglass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,120

    green
    98 formula

    Quote Originally Posted by txoutlaw69 View Post
    you think a ls7 would bolt right in . would my a/t handle that:
    the tranny would need a little work but the engine is a dry sump type and that might be a real pain but anything is possible

  3. #3
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    The block has the same mounts as the LS1.
    As mentioned, to stick with the dry sump it might be a pain.

    The LS7 is a wonderful motor, but for $14K, I can build a motor to be MUCH faster.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

    1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

  4. #4
    Member ldanny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    kemah,TX
    Age
    26
    Posts
    123

    Pewter
    00 Formula M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    The block has the same mounts as the LS1.
    As mentioned, to stick with the dry sump it might be a pain.

    The LS7 is a wonderful motor, but for $14K, I can build a motor to be MUCH faster.
    thats true cuz how much u got in ur engine an ur putting more to the wheels than the ls7 puts at the flywheel.

  5. #5
    Senior Member rajiv1998's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,489

    Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by ldanny View Post
    thats true cuz how much u got in ur engine an ur putting more to the wheels than the ls7 puts at the flywheel.
    I could be wrong, bt wasnt the LS7 underrated? They claim 505hp, but dont they put down like verry high 400's? If so then he will be right around what an LS7 puts at the flywheel.

  6. #6
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    440-450 at the wheels for a stock LS7.

  7. #7
    Double Tap Heartbreak1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,616

    Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

    Dump about 10K into an LS1 and you'll get a hell of alot more power than that.

  8. #8
    Junior Member Kalepsis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    65

    Silver
    98 A4 TA

    The LS7 has been dropped in a 4th gen f-body by Katech Engines. They put one into a white Camaro. I spoke to the project manager about the mod, and he gave me a lot of information about it. Apparently, the LS7's external dimensions are exactly the same as the LS1 and LS2's, but the fitment meant they had to remove the K-member and install a tubular one. The oil pan had trouble fitting in, and they had to fabricate a few parts to fit and run the dry-sump system. Our TA's stock auto transmission could not be used, and the one that the corvette has is the only trans equipped with a computer that will allow the engine's ECM to speak to it correctly... an older 4L60E or 4L80E just won't work. A Tremec might, but I didn't ask because I have an A4. The driveline had to be completely modified, as well. They said it's a badass motor for an F-body, but all in all, plunking that LS7 in the 'Maro cost them just over $70,000, and from start to finish, the project was a nightmare. The good thing is that because of that initial venture, they now have LS7 engine packages that they can sell to the f-body community.

    I'm looking at a different option because I don't want to pay 65-75 grand. The same company makes another engine that's ideal for us. They take a new LS2 block, resleeve the cylinders to make it a 427, throw in their forged pistons, callies crank and mahle rings and sell the short block for 6995. They call it the Value 427. The other nice thing about that is that the LS1's accessories bolt right up to an LS2's block with NO modification, and your original ECM can be used, it just needs to be tuned. An LS7 would require all new accessories and ECM. I don't think you need to change the k-member, but I'd have to ask again to be sure.

    If you take your car to them (like I'm planning to do) they'll fully assemble the engine with your choice of pistons, rings, crank, cam, heads (I'm going with LS7 heads), intake, and coil packs, then pull and rebuild your transmission (the stock trans can't handle the torque), break in the engine on their engine dyno, install the new engine, and tune the setup on their chassis dyno. This will cost about $25k, give or take a grand, if you have Katech do all the work. When it's all done, you have a smooth, daily-driveable 427 pushing 590HP at the crank, naturally aspirated. Just something to think about.

  9. #9
    Double Tap Heartbreak1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,616

    Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalepsis View Post
    The LS7 has been dropped in a 4th gen f-body by Katech Engines. They put one into a white Camaro. I spoke to the project manager about the mod, and he gave me a lot of information about it. Apparently, the LS7's external dimensions are exactly the same as the LS1 and LS2's, but the fitment meant they had to remove the K-member and install a tubular one. The oil pan had trouble fitting in, and they had to fabricate a few parts to fit and run the dry-sump system. Our TA's stock auto transmission could not be used, and the one that the corvette has is the only trans equipped with a computer that will allow the engine's ECM to speak to it correctly... an older 4L60E or 4L80E just won't work. A Tremec might, but I didn't ask because I have an A4. The driveline had to be completely modified, as well. They said it's a badass motor for an F-body, but all in all, plunking that LS7 in the 'Maro cost them just over $70,000, and from start to finish, the project was a nightmare. The good thing is that because of that initial venture, they now have LS7 engine packages that they can sell to the f-body community.

    I'm looking at a different option because I don't want to pay 65-75 grand. The same company makes another engine that's ideal for us. They take a new LS2 block, resleeve the cylinders to make it a 427, throw in their forged pistons, callies crank and mahle rings and sell the short block for 6995. They call it the Value 427. The other nice thing about that is that the LS1's accessories bolt right up to an LS2's block with NO modification, and your original ECM can be used, it just needs to be tuned. An LS7 would require all new accessories and ECM. I don't think you need to change the k-member, but I'd have to ask again to be sure.

    If you take your car to them (like I'm planning to do) they'll fully assemble the engine with your choice of pistons, rings, crank, cam, heads (I'm going with LS7 heads), intake, and coil packs, then pull and rebuild your transmission (the stock trans can't handle the torque), break in the engine on their engine dyno, install the new engine, and tune the setup on their chassis dyno. This will cost about $25k, give or take a grand, if you have Katech do all the work. When it's all done, you have a smooth, daily-driveable 427 pushing 590HP at the crank, naturally aspirated. Just something to think about.
    If you have patience and a space to do the install yourself, that will save you quite a bit right off the bat. $25,000 for 590 at the crank seems a bit much to me.

  10. #10
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Can you use the stock LS1 oil pan on the LS7?? Will it clear?
    I know I had to make a couple minor changes to the LQ9 block, but it wasn't much. Just the oil pick up tube.

  11. #11
    Double Tap Heartbreak1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,616

    Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Can you use the stock LS1 oil pan on the LS7?? Will it clear?
    I know I had to make a couple minor changes to the LQ9 block, but it wasn't much. Just the oil pick up tube.
    If you wanna use the stock one you have to modify it me thinks.

  12. #12
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,159

    Red
    2000 Trans Am

    You know what would be baller, a ls7 rx7 or 240sx, now that would be nice, in a video game i put a ls7 in a del sol lol.

  13. #13
    Double Tap Heartbreak1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,616

    Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    You know what would be baller, a ls7 rx7 or 240sx, now that would be nice, in a video game i put a ls7 in a del sol lol.
    ...

  14. #14
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Heartbreak1 View Post
    If you wanna use the stock one you have to modify it me thinks.
    I don't know for sure.

    If it is anything like the other LSx's, it should go on and fit on the stock k-member.
    Not sure how the block oiling is though. I would have to do some serious research...

  15. #15
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,159

    Red
    2000 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by Heartbreak1 View Post
    ...
    With that motor in the rx7 or 240sx and some drag radials it would be a mid 10 second car.

  16. #16
    Double Tap Heartbreak1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,616

    Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    With that motor in the rx7 or 240sx and some drag radials it would be a mid 10 second car.
    Yea but dude come on, an LSX in a rice burner?

  17. #17
    Double Tap Heartbreak1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,616

    Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I don't know for sure.

    If it is anything like the other LSx's, it should go on and fit on the stock k-member.
    Not sure how the block oiling is though. I would have to do some serious research...
    I'd be interested to know as well. If anything the shape of the pan maybe different with the same mounting points.

  18. #18
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,159

    Red
    2000 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by Heartbreak1 View Post
    Yea but dude come on, an LSX in a rice burner?
    People put ls1s in rx7s and 240s all the time, there are now websites that sell everything you need and with stock ls1s they have ran mid 11s with drag radials and 11.8-low 12s with street tires. That much power in a 2700lbs car is awesome, i have seen a rx7 with a ls2 in it, but never a ls7

  19. #19
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Heartbreak1 View Post
    I'd be interested to know as well. If anything the shape of the pan maybe different with the same mounting points.
    The pan itself I believe would bolt up. I would be more worried about the oil pump and oiling itself.

    EDIT: Found a picture of the bottom of the LS7 block. Looks like the F-Body pan would bolt up. I am sure there would be issues though depending on oil pump and crank.


    Quote Originally Posted by Heartbreak1 View Post
    Yea but dude come on, an LSX in a rice burner?
    I REALLY want to get a 1994 RX-7.

  20. #20
    Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Laurel, Maryland
    Posts
    4,977

    2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

    This seems like a legit addition to this thread...



    as always, the comments are enjoyable to read:

    The whole point of an evo is not to be fast, its to be fast and have fuckin handling capabilities, not to just go straight. Why would you go red neck on an evo???
    Just fucking retarded

    or

    you just made that evo heavy as hell

    or my favorite:

    Wheel spin is NOT impressive.  Gay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •