Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ls6 manifold

This is a discussion on Ls6 manifold within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by SMWS6TA PCV - No need to reroute it, It will connect the same way and lay along ...

BLACK
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    PCV - No need to reroute it, It will connect the same way and lay along the passenger side the same.

Intake - you have 2 options when dealing with the coolant crossover tube that is under the intake.

Opt 1: Carefully using a Dremel grind off the fins that are on the bottom of the intake. This lets you keep the LS1 style crossover tubes.

Opt 2: It used to be called the LS6 coolant crossover kit. Goes for $65 (wow that went up!!), I would have to pm your the site because it's a non-sponsor.

Either option you choose I also strongly suggest that you update the knock sensors while you are here. They are due and its as good of a time as any.
    Is it necessary to change the knock sensors? My car has 30k was wondering if i should change thanks...

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The knock sensors do occasionally go bad. Generally though, you'll find that they are rusty and the wiring harness may be crimped or corroded. Water manages to find its way down from the cowl and sits on the valley cover causing issues. If yours aren't in bad shape, maybe just clean the connections and apply a little dielectric grease. Some guys actually fill the cavity around the knock sensor with silicone -- not sure I'd go that far though.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    The knock sensors do occasionally go bad. Generally though, you'll find that they are rusty and the wiring harness may be crimped or corroded. Water manages to find its way down from the cowl and sits on the valley cover causing issues. If yours aren't in bad shape, maybe just clean the connections and apply a little dielectric grease. Some guys actually fill the cavity around the knock sensor with silicone -- not sure I'd go that far though.
    Plus the plastic top gets brittle and cracks.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    Pick up an OPSU socket from a parts store they are about $8-10

Where are you finding them at that price? Every where I've seen it goes for about $60 with the taxes.

OP - also spent the $10 for the OPSU socket. Worth it.

Also the torque specs for the intake are 118 INCH Lbs (not ft lbs)

BLACK
    2000 WS6

So i have my ls6 manifold guys i was going to get it installed. I was quoted $500 to install my ls6 manifold change my spark plugs and put in a new fuel regulator. Is that a good price for just (labor only, excluding parts). Or do you guys think its a easy task and i can do it myself, not really restricted on time but if that price quote is good for all three then ill probably just go with it thanks!

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by WS6 MANN View Post
    So i have my ls6 manifold guys i was going to get it installed. I was quoted $500 to install my ls6 manifold change my spark plugs and put in a new fuel regulator. Is that a good price for just (labor only, excluding parts). Or do you guys think its a easy task and i can do it myself, not really restricted on time but if that price quote is good for all three then ill probably just go with it thanks!
    It takes about 2 hours the first time, I am down to 30 minutes now. Do you have the ls6 steam tubes and block offs as well or are you going to grind the fins off? I personally would do it yourself, that is 500 you can put towards something else.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 03-28-2013 at 07:05 AM.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    It takes about 2 hours the first time, I am down to 30 minutes now. Do you have the ls6 steam tubes and block offs as well or are you going to grind the fins off? I personally would do it yourself, that is 500 you can put towards something else.
    This^^^

You too Will, same here (Down to 30-45 mins )

OP - I never will pay someone to do my spark plugs......fuel regulator - what's wrong?

The intake is not hard, in fact it is one of the easiest intakes I've ever done.

Here is a good write up that everyone uses on how to do the swap:

LS1Howto.com

Like Will asked - Do you have the LS6 coolant cross over tube (IIRC it's now called the LS3 coolant cross over)? If not you can keep your current set up just need to carefully knock off the fins on the bottom of the intake to make room for the coolant tubes that the LS1 has. You'll see what we are talking about when you pull the LS1 intake off.

Some other items to get/consider:

Knock Sensors 99< & wire harness - go ahead and update this, the current ones are old and since you're here it's smart money to go ahead and refresh.
    OPSU - have one or be able to get one quickly. This is something that manages to break very easy. Partly because of its location behind the intake on the drivers side. Over time they become brittle and break. After you get it back together and you have no oil pressure, check this first.
    OPSU Socket - $10 worth it.

If you need help just ask, several of us here can guide you through it.

Black/ Silver

Swapping metal intakes is practice for plastic ones I had a PP 96mm and that suckers was like 30 lbs. Honestly the hardest part for me was disconnecting the fuel rail not that you have to it was just easier to attach it off the car for me, that and I was swapping to the ls2 fuel rail because my FAST 102 requires it.

In addition to what Scott said. Also for the knock sensors I highly suggest putting some die electrical grease on them and putting some rtv silicone on the very edge of the knock sensor cover to keep water out.

Do you need a socket for the OPSU I just used a 1/2" or a 3/8" ratchet when mine broke and it came out fine, maybe that was coincidence though.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 03-28-2013 at 08:14 AM.

Black
    79 Trans Am

I have heard of some people knocking all the tabs off the bottom of the intake, is that a problem?

Navy Blue Metallic

for the ls6 intakes they are deeper then the ls1's. Ppl take the tabs off to make room for the ls1 coolant cross over tubes. 1/2 the ppl do this because they want to keep they ls1 coolant cross over, others use what is call the ls6 coolant cross over tube but it is now know as the ls3 coolant bypass kit. Both kits come with a front cross over tube and 2 plugs. The plugs block off the rear ports for the cylinder heads and the new tube goes on the front.

If you have the ls1 intake you do not need to do anything.

Black
    79 Trans Am

I understand that, what I meant was on the ls6 intake most people take only specific tabs off, however I have heard of people removing all the tabs and I am curious if there is a problem in doing that

Navy Blue Metallic

none....I've done it 3 times now and none have had any issues

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Where are you finding them at that price? Every where I've seen it goes for about $60 with the taxes.

OP - also spent the $10 for the OPSU socket. Worth it.

Also the torque specs for the intake are 118 INCH Lbs (not ft lbs)
    First you say where did I find it for $8 and that they are $60 then say they are available for $10??

I got my OPSU socket for $8.50 taxes in at Automotive Warehouse.

I got my OPSU at the Stealership for $90 + taxes = $102.00

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yea, I was lost on that too
    It's on jackstands.

Black/ Silver

I think he thought you said you found the opsu not the opsu socket for 8-10 bucks.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    First you say where did I find it for $8 and that they are $60 then say they are available for $10??

I got my OPSU socket for $8.50 taxes in at Automotive Warehouse.

I got my OPSU at the Stealership for $90 + taxes = $102.00
    I got both from O Reilly's, the socket for $10 and the OPSU cost me $60

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information