View Poll Results: Which engine?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • LS2

    4 7.02%
  • LS6

    16 28.07%
  • LS3

    12 21.05%
  • Build LS1

    25 43.86%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 88

Ls2 / ls6 / ls3

This is a discussion on Ls2 / ls6 / ls3 within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by 01ws6er A link Wesman gave me. CrateEngineDepot "service" Ls6 engine. http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...-P1625C63.aspx Same motor, same 405 crank hp, ...

  1. #41
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    A link Wesman gave me. CrateEngineDepot "service" Ls6 engine.
    http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...-P1625C63.aspx

    Same motor, same 405 crank hp, just bolt on all your accessories, intake, manifold/headers, etc. I dunno, it seems like a damn good deal...
    Do that Jaison.

    And fire a mid-sized cam (228R from TSP) in it.

  2. #42
    Senior Member Bottesini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Denton, Texas soon Lafayette, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,955

    Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Do that Jaison.

    And fire a mid-sized cam (228R from TSP) in it.
    A very good plan for a DD/ fun type car. You won't have to worry much about anything, and you will have a fast car. All depends on what your goals are with the car, that and if you can stall the mod bug at a certain point

  3. #43
    Senior Member 01ws6er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The 717
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,471

    Red
    2001 Trash Can

    Quote Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
    A very good plan for a DD/ fun type car. You won't have to worry much about anything, and you will have a fast car. All depends on what your goals are with the car, that and if you can stall the mod bug at a certain point
    I'm pretty sure his car is M6...?

  4. #44
    Senior Member splitfinger09's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bartlesville, Oklahoma, United
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,264

    Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    A link Wesman gave me. CrateEngineDepot "service" Ls6 engine.
    http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...-P1625C63.aspx

    Same motor, same 405 crank hp, just bolt on all your accessories, intake, manifold/headers, etc. I dunno, it seems like a damn good deal...
    wow that is a great deal. 3,200 bucks and it comes with a 36 month 100k mile warranty with it. Throw a cam in there before the install and voila a very reliable fast car. What kind of power would you make with an LS6 and a pretty decent sized, but street-able cam??

  5. #45
    Senior Member Bottesini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Denton, Texas soon Lafayette, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,955

    Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

    Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    I'm pretty sure his car is M6...?
    Not sure if I see your point here ? Going to take a guess that I should not have used the word stall and maybe used a synonym instead such as stop.


    Quote Originally Posted by splitfinger09 View Post
    wow that is a great deal. 3,200 bucks and it comes with a 36 month 100k mile warranty with it. Throw a cam in there before the install and voila a very reliable fast car. What kind of power would you make with an LS6 and a pretty decent sized, but street-able cam??
    Mine is close to a LS6 the only major difference is my 241 heads vs the 243 and it is making almost 400 with a very mild cam.So I would guess anywhere from 410-430 depending on the combo, and how lucky you get with the engine.

  6. #46
    Senior Member 01ws6er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The 717
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,471

    Red
    2001 Trash Can

    Quote Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
    Not sure if I see your point here ? Going to take a guess that I should not have used the word stall and maybe used a synonym instead such as stop.




    Mine is close to a LS6 the only major difference is my 241 heads vs the 243 and it is making almost 400 with a very mild cam.So I would guess anywhere from 410-430 depending on the combo, and how lucky you get with the engine.
    My bad, I thought you were implying adding a converter to the setup.

  7. #47
    Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    houston, tx
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,045

    red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

    hey tss give me a call if you are serious. 936-443-8053. remember i got my forged 383 for 3k installed. my uncle has a good rep ask sarge he has purchesed a few engines from him.

  8. #48
    O U 8 1 2 Spaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    over here...
    Age
    39
    Posts
    25,692

    []D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by splitfinger09 View Post
    wow that is a great deal. 3,200 bucks and it comes with a 36 month 100k mile warranty with it. Throw a cam in there before the install and voila a very reliable fast car. What kind of power would you make with an LS6 and a pretty decent sized, but street-able cam??
    stock power in my sig... i just tossed on headers and need to hit teh dyno again...

  9. #49
    Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    21,719

    My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

    i like this thread...and keep in mind, i'm always asking questions. I think this is good "meat" on the ls1.com bones for future users and searchers-i might never mod my engine but if i do, this is a great thread to look at.

  10. #50
    Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    21,719

    My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

    is an ls6 block stronger than an LS1's?

  11. #51
    Missing 4 Cylinders BULLET_WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Denton (Dallas)
    Posts
    10,577

    Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

    Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    is an ls6 block stronger than an LS1's?
    the coolant passages or oil passages cant remember which... i know are a bit wider helping in the cooling... other than that i think they are both supposed to be the same block... just as durable

  12. #52
    Speak the truth jad628's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,307

    Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

    I'm almost certain I'm gonna go the LS6 route. But I'll purchase it and install LT headers and possibly a cam change before it's installed. After it's broke in for about a year a 100-125 shot might end up finding its way into the car. Of course a dyno tune is part of the package in my mind. It should keep the economy of the original LS1 - at least be close - and add another 90 or so rwhp (more like 200 on the juice). That's pretty potent and pushing the limits of the drivetrain. With my M6, I'm sure another rear-end would come soon too.

    I think all the engines are good choices, but the LS6 just seems like the best bang for the buck. If money wasn't an object and I wanted to stay "stock engine", I'd find a way to drop an LS7 in there with the dry sump and be a happy man.

    Either way I think you need to save money to upgrade the suspension to put that power to the ground. That seems to be the thing people forget most of all. Suspension can create more speed than people think. Ask any drag racer. A 500 rwhp car that can't hook up correctly, can get wasted by a 350 rwhp car that is well designed and set up.

  13. #53
    Speak the truth jad628's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,307

    Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    is an ls6 block stronger than an LS1's?
    Not by any real measure, but no weaker either. I think the LS6 also can rev a bit higher, has better valve springs, and aren't the valves sodium-filled on all LS6 heads?

    Coolant cross-over is different because of less space under the LS6 manifold as memory serves. Either an LS1 or LS6, both should have an LS6 manifold (minimum) if you are looking for easy performance additions. If you were to put an LS6 manifold on an LS1 engine, you have to change the coolant cross-over. EGR goes bye-bye too.

  14. #54
    Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    21,719

    My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

    Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    Not by any real measure, but no weaker either. I think the LS6 also can rev a bit higher, has better valve springs, and aren't the valves sodium-filled on all LS6 heads?

    Coolant cross-over is different because of less space under the LS6 manifold as memory serves. Either an LS1 or LS6, both should have an LS6 manifold (minimum) if you are looking for easy performance additions. If you were to put an LS6 manifold on an LS1 engine, you have to change the coolant cross-over. EGR goes bye-bye too.
    Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    is an ls6 block stronger than an LS1's?
    what if you bore the sleeves?

  15. #55
    Speak the truth jad628's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,307

    Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    what if you bore the sleeves?
    I'm not really too knowlegeable about that, but I think the block - especially around the cylinders - has no significant (if any) difference from an LS1 block. I remember reading about a casting mark difference between the two blocks, but it was just a way to identify the block - not really any change in design.

  16. #56
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    what if you bore the sleeves?
    You would have to sleeve it first.
    Can't really bore a stock LS1/LS6. Just a hone.

  17. #57
    Speak the truth jad628's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,307

    Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    You would have to sleeve it first.
    Can't really bore a stock LS1/LS6. Just a hone.

    Basically enough for a re-build? All the kits I've seen were strokers, but I've never really looked into the ".030" over kind of thing.

  18. #58
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    Basically enough for a re-build? All the kits I've seen were strokers, but I've never really looked into the ".030" over kind of thing.
    Right.
    .005" over. .030 is too much.

  19. #59
    O U 8 1 2 Spaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    over here...
    Age
    39
    Posts
    25,692

    []D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    is an ls6 block stronger than an LS1's?
    NO... but... the cooling lines are a bit different...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    You would have to sleeve it first.
    Can't really bore a stock LS1/LS6. Just a hone.
    the very small amount of boring that we can do isn't even worth it... you might as well just buy a LQ9 at that price...

  20. #60
    Member SSMOKEshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    in the world
    Age
    30
    Posts
    227

    black
    1999 Camaro SS

    the ls1 and ls6 are the same motor just diff cam and heads(ithink) if so just get diff cam and heads or drop in a ls2 or ls3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •