Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

LS1 vs Vette

This is a discussion on LS1 vs Vette within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by sfletch2000 Its called the "my dick is bigger than yours crisis" all men have it. Always try ...

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

Quote Originally Posted by sfletch2000 View Post
    Its called the "my dick is bigger than yours crisis" all men have it. Always try to out do the next.
    I thought guys that wanted to prove that bought Hummers.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by sfletch2000 View Post
    I love putting the smack down on every rich guy driving his new c6, you rarely run across a vette with more than an exhaust around here. Its mostly just guys having a mid life crisis. Everytime i see a new Z06 its in a parking lot, not that i could beat it anyways... Once the new heads come... Maybe...
    Its mostly just guys having a mid life crisis.........I used to say the same thing, now that I am 42 people say it about me

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

Yeah i'm sure people will be sayin the same thing about me once i reach my fourties.

Black
    1998 WS6 Convert

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    Its mostly just guys having a mid life crisis.........I used to say the same thing, now that I am 42 people say it about me
    Yea I am 45 and just recently pick up my 98 vert ws6 and thatís what a lot of people have been asking me.
    I was going to by a 90,s model vette mainly because I have an uncle who builds drag cars from the ground up out of these vettes and knows them inside and out.
    But I have kids and 2 seats donít work well for family outings.

Mystic Teal/Chameleon grn
    1998 TA

I just had this whole vette vs. TA thing happen to me today. Some woman asked me about my TA, saying she has a '97 formula. So i asked her if she likes the corvette or TA more and she says "the corvettes have us beat". When i asked her how so she says "performance wise they are faster"

98 Formula
    06 duramax

well, if I was a betting man and you line a vette and f-body up stock for stock and each having good drivers. My money will go on the vette every single time.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I would go F-Body everytime. I ran a stalled, exhaust 2000 vette with my car stock. Beat him 5 times with 4 diff. drivers. At the track and on the street. Beat every vette I have ever raced except for the C6 Z06.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

If you take a stock Vette and a stock fbody with the same driver skill and the trannies being the same, the Vette has an advantage with it weighing less than an fbody.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Have to disagree. A couple articles, one being posted somewhere on this site shows the vette is over-rated with its HP ratings. Shit the 89 Turbo TA would murder the 89 vette. It def weights less but that doesn't make it faster. In fact the article on this site shows that the vette makes less power then the F-Body due to its IRS crap. Vettes have always been over-rated from GM. Not saying they are bad cars, shit I had papers on one and ready to buy until I drove my SS. My SS murdered the shit out of it stock for stock. I have raced about 15 or so C5 base models and have never lost. Some stock for stock, some with more mods then me. No thanks, if I am spending the money, Z06 is the only way to go.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

My bad, the article is on this thread, boy do I feel retarded. I have seen others though in mags.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Have to disagree. A couple articles, one being posted somewhere on this site shows the vette is over-rated with its HP ratings. Shit the 89 Turbo TA would murder the 89 vette. It def weights less but that doesn't make it faster. In fact the article on this site shows that the vette makes less power then the F-Body due to its IRS crap. Vettes have always been over-rated from GM. Not saying they are bad cars, shit I had papers on one and ready to buy until I drove my SS. My SS murdered the shit out of it stock for stock. I have raced about 15 or so C5 base models and have never lost. Some stock for stock, some with more mods then me. No thanks, if I am spending the money, Z06 is the only way to go.
    when i owned my 02 C5 and when it was in stock trim, i got it to go 12.88 e.t

needless to say, i have yet to ever see a stock f-body go that fast.
    that whole irs slows you down is a myth, what irs does do is make the car harder to launch.
    the f-body and vette both make about the same power, simple physics dictate that the lighter car will win with equal drivers and same h.p.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

You might be a better driver than those 15 or so C5 base model drivers. Also, if those C5s were autos and you were on the streets racing, you had an advantage being a manual, if those autos weren't stalled.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

Every magazine I have seen rated the vette faster in the quarter mile. Its the faster car; however, I'd be willing to bet the average T/A owner is a better driver than the average vette. People buy the T/A for speed and the corvette for the image. Most people never really race their vettes.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    You might be a better driver than those 15 or so C5 base model drivers. Also, if those C5s were autos and you were on the streets racing, you had an advantage being a manual, if those autos weren't stalled.
    right, he can tell me he outran 100 c5's but on average the c5 is faster than an f-body stock for stock. If he ran a stalled vette and beat him stock then whoever has the vette needs to take driving lessons. That's a mid 12 sec car at a minimum.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Psychosis View Post
    Most people never really race their vettes.
    above is very true with vette owners i know

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

I've never driven one, but conventional wisedom says that a lighter car, with basically the same powerplant, and a better aerodynamic shape is going to have an edge, driver skill being equal.

That is stock v. stock.

To complicate matters, why do so many people seem to think the T/A has an advantage over the Z28? Or Ws6 v. SS trim? Any such "advantage" is miniscule, if it exists at all. I've heard that the ram air on the WS6 is superior to the SS hood version, and maybe it is........slightly, but neither one give you any advantage until you have enough speed to make it operable.

F-bodies are a driver's race. F-body v. Corvette would be close, but the edge is to the Corvette. Add a lid and cat back to an F-body and then I think the edge goes to it over a same year STOCK Corvette, except for the all-out (Z06) versions.

But that's just me, I guess.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I will take the F-Body still. Vette has better interior and is more luxury and is def lighter, I will give it that, it is a damn nice car. When I ran the stalled 2000 it was with more then one driver like I said, it was 1/8th mile and then on the street. Didn't murder him, had him by about a fender everytime with every driver. Can't tell me its a drivers race with an auto, when everyone of those 4 drivers were almost identical outcome. The IRS robs power, seen more then one article on it, I don't believe everything I read but when I see it in Ford, Chevy, and so forth mags then I tend to believe it. Can't go wrong with GM performance but the vette has and always will be over-rated to protect its image. Its a fact. I have to be a little skeptical that everyone I raced I beat because I am a better driver, not to say I don't mind the fact I am a good driver, but I am not that good. Either way, to each there own, thats just my opinion and .02

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

I will take the F-Body still. Vette has better interior and is more luxury and is def lighter, I will give it that, it is a damn nice car. When I ran the stalled 2000 it was with more then one driver like I said, it was 1/8th mile and then on the street. Didn't murder him, had him by about a fender everytime with every driver. Can't tell me its a drivers race with an auto, when everyone of those 4 drivers were almost identical outcome. The IRS robs power, seen more then one article on it, I don't believe everything I read but when I see it in Ford, Chevy, and so forth mags then I tend to believe it. Can't go wrong with GM performance but the vette has and always will be over-rated to protect its image. Its a fact. I have to be a little skeptical that everyone I raced I beat because I am a better driver, not to say I don't mind the fact I am a good driver, but I am not that good. Either way, to each there own, thats just my opinion and .02
    Me too. I have to have the F-body because I have two kids. But I still love the looks of a nice 'vette. If I had one I likely wouldn't do much modification to it, but my Z28 seems to scream for me to tinker with it.

Mullet-mobile! I like that.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

my buddy has a 98 heads/cam vette. After driving it many many times I can tell you that I personally am not a big fan of the interior. I'd take my GTO's interior over it any day of the week. They're nice cars for sure but I'll stick with my f-body/gto combo I have going.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I liked the interior but being a 2 seater was a downfall. I don't have wife and kids but do have buddies. But now with my true junk dual that scrapes, I can't have 3 in the car and go anywhere so I should have just stuck with the Vette. When I drove both, the my Camaro was faster, but I liked the Vette interior a lot better. Couldn't beat the price of the Camaro. I bought my Camaro with 8,000 miles in 01 for $22,000, thats super cheap to me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information