Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

ls1 vs STI???

This is a discussion on ls1 vs STI??? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by ScrapMaker I don't understand how that sti had such a horrible launch... was the ta on slicks? ...

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker
    I don't understand how that sti had such a horrible launch...

was the ta on slicks?

so for $1000 you can get an LS1 into the 12's eh? I'm not doubting it, I just didn't realize it was that cheap...
    Not sure but I doubt it. Sounded like he was leaving in the 3,000to4,000 range and still sounded like he spun a little. I just put that up there to stir the pot.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal
    It's very cheap, especially for those who do they're own installation's. All it took for my LS1 w/A4 was the Lid w/K&N filter, Stall Speed, and a good set of tires.
    you got into the 12s with basically just a higher-stall convertor??

I didn't think these cars would make into the 12s without an LS6 intake manifold, lid, stall, gears, and slicks

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I didn't think these cars would make into the 12s without an LS6 intake manifold, lid, stall, gears, and slicks
    the ls6 intake is not important to getting into the 12s, a stall and DRs is pretty well enough

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz
    the ls6 intake is not important to getting into the 12s, a stall and DRs is pretty well enough
    an A4... with street tires.... what would it take to break into the 12s??

while maintaining streetability...

a 3000stall would probably still be streetable, right?

2009 Corvette ZO6

Yup. Been racing for quite a few years now as well, and knowing how to launch can be very beneficial. I immediately tuned the engine the day I bought her, but I don't consider that a bolt on (it obviously helped though, regardless)...

Still contemplating either a Turbo or S/C, which is the main reason I haven't delved into cams just yet. I'm leaning more towards the ProCharger, to be honest. The stock heads, TB and MAF will be tended to... and will more than likely be opting for a polished Weiand intake (ported, of course), and an LS6 cam. I know there are better cams out there, but these seem to respond quite well w/boosted applications.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

I wonder what you can do at the track with just the lid, LS6 intake manifold, and a higher stall on street tires?? I don't wanna mess with the cam or anything until I get around to completely rebuilding the motor...

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I wonder what you can do at the track with just the lid, LS6 intake manifold, and a higher stall on street tires?? I don't wanna mess with the cam or anything until I get around to completely rebuilding the motor...
    Put some DRs on there and make full use of the stall, easy 12s

White
    2005 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA

2nd half of the video. Bye bye Z28!

It's all about who's got the mods and the better driver. Stock for stock it is a driver's race in the 1/4 and a win for the STi if you're not at least on drag radials.

We all know that it is cheaper to get an old V8 down the strip faster than a small turbo H4.

White
    2001 Trans Am

Stock for stock it is a driver's race in the 1/4 and a win for the STi if you're not at least on drag radials.

Way too much credit to those dirt buggies! Dude, you need to come down to America and get your ass handed to you by an LS1. Cause apparently, you aint raced any.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

how much work is it to tune the computer to not freak out if you use a cutout before the cats? wouldn't that be some easy hp?

2009 Corvette ZO6

I wonder what you can do at the track with just the lid, LS6 intake manifold, and a higher stall on street tires??
    If you can achieve a decent sixty-foot, then high 12's is definitely not out of the question. There have been cases in which skilled drivers brought essentially stock LS1 F-Body's into the 12's....

I don't wanna mess with the cam or anything until I get around to completely rebuilding the motor...
    Take it easy while launching the car w/slicks, or you'll be rebuilding more than just you're engine....

White
    2005 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by mavrikZ
    Stock for stock it is a driver's race in the 1/4 and a win for the STi if you're not at least on drag radials.

Way too much credit to those dirt buggies! Dude, you need to come down to America and get your ass handed to you by an LS1. Cause apparently, you aint raced any.
    Why would I need to come to America to race a Camaro? I've raced numerous LS1s, lost a few and won a couple, so um, dude, get a grip. Why don't you come to Canada and race me with your Camaro on a road course and I'll show you what these "dirt buggies" can really do.

By the way, Toronto Motorsports Park (Cayuga) is close enough to the border that Americans come to us (it's a great track), so who knows, I might have already run and beat an American.

2009 Corvette ZO6

how much work is it to tune the computer to not freak out if you use a cutout before the cats? wouldn't that be some easy hp?
    The PCM shouldn't kick into Limp Mode by bypassing the cat-cons, if this is what you're referring to. It's just a matter of enabling/disabling... and refining the tune.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Fiend

2nd half of the video. Bye bye Z28!

It's all about who's got the mods and the better driver. Stock for stock it is a driver's race in the 1/4 and a win for the STi if you're not at least on drag radials.

We all know that it is cheaper to get an old V8 down the strip faster than a small turbo H4.
    I dont know what video you're watching but I saw no LS1 Z in that video. BTW, 12.9X for that STI, !

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I dont know what video you're watching but I saw no LS1 Z in that video. BTW, 12.9X for that STI, !
    i didn't see a camaro at all not even an fbody made within 10 years of the LS1

White
    2005 WRX STi

Certainly looks like a Camaro to me (see attached pic):

Here are a few stage 2 (exhaust + tune) slips:

12.5 @ 110 (NOT the norm for stage 2):
    http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50722

12.74 @ 108:
    http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50598

12.76 @ 106:
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b333/Slow_boy/12.jpg

etc.

Not saying that is fast, but not bad for a 2.5L 4 cylinder with a tiny turbo.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

that looked like an old-gen single turbo supra... like an '88 or something...

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Certainly looks like a Camaro to me (see attached pic):
    It's not, and even if it was, it's at minimum 15 years old.

Not saying that is fast, but not bad for a 2.5L 4 cylinder with a tiny turbo.
    They impress me I have no comlaints about them as cars, they just don't make me happy in the pants like my f-body does

Awaiting Activation
    there are some honest guys here, but most just love their cars and no doubt there gonna defend it againts a ricer/dirt buggie. But as it was stated in the past 177 post's ITS A DRIVERS RACE. (from a dead stop) from a roll i dont care wut u say stock for stock the LS1 will tear apart the STI. But from a stop its a drivers race.

black
    2002 chevrolet camaro

well a friend of mine and I raced a couple of weeks after I got my '02 z28. He had an '04 STi, he had a boost controller, took off his muffler and had an aftermarket blow off valve (don't think that adds to any HP, just saying what he had...) he had the boost pushed up about 5 or 6 PSI over stock... from what I've heard you get 10hp gain for every 1 PSI of boost... I don't think so.... but anyways my car only had/has a cat back magnaflow exhaust, and a K&N air filter we raced both from a dead stop and from a moving start... I also had another person in the passenger seat recording the whole thing... but each and every time we raced he beat me by at least 2 car lengths... This was in the middle of december and at about 11ish at night, and where I'm from thats about 40 degrees or so outside. On the line I couldn't rev it at all because I would sit there spinning them all through first, so I had to just lift my foot off of the clutch and slam the gas at the same time... which don't equal a good jump... anyways I even through a couple 20lb weights in the trunk to give me more weight... that worked off the line... but in the long run he took me by even more than before... I'm pretty sure that your T/A with cat back will be able to at least keep up with a stock STi. Don't know if you know this or not, but according to kelly blue book they actually weigh a hundred pounds more than your car stock! So with your 350 under that hood your still lighter than that bulky AWD system! Your right though they kill off the line, just because they can rev to like 6k rpm and then drop it... It's not true for all AWD cars though... I've also raced a late model VR4 3000GT off the line, and he did rev it to like 6k, and I still had him off the line... he was a veteran driver too, has many more races under his belt than I do... so it all depends on the system they are running and all that junk... so good luck!

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread Information