Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

ls1 vs STI???

This is a discussion on ls1 vs STI??? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by ScrapMaker no offense, but he did something VERY wrong if he only had a "VERY little edge ...

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker
    no offense, but he did something VERY wrong if he only had a "VERY little edge on the take-off." Although, were you using slicks?

my friend has the same mods as you mentioned and runs about 300AWHP... that gives the STI a flat 13... MAYBE if they're lucky/abusive, a 12.9...

and it seems that a bunch of people on these boards have magical LS1s... because I went to the track for a F-Body shoot-out a few weeks ago, and they were all running 13.5-14.3 stock..

I believe in magic so it's okay.
    I go to Capitol Raceway every Fri. for test&tune for years. I see STI's running mid to high 13's as well (sometimes worse). Who said 13.3 was the norm for those. Ya I see LS1 Fbods do the occasional 14.2X also. I just think it's rediculous someone said you need nitrous to beat one. My good friend went 13.1 in his bone stock 98M6.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA
    My good friend went 13.1 in his bone stock 98M6 with slicks.
    fixed it for you... I've never heard of anything close to that on street tires...

black
    98 Camaro Z28 05 SRT-4

trans am would win (not out the hole) but in 1/4 mile

White
    2001 Trans Am

must have been a bad driver, because the only way you'd beat him is if there was a whole mile between the lights...
    Scrapmaker, where are you getting this stuff? Im from Texas, and Ill tell ya, I LIVED at Tx Motorplex in Ennis and I RARELY ever saw a STI beat any F-body. Yes, they are quick. But not quick enough to justify a statement such as above! I dont understand why people are soooo scared of these cars. Screw the numbers. Every magazine on every track with every driver is different. There are just as many low ball STI #'s as there are LS1. Maybe we need to form a poll to see how many people have been beaten by an STI? I think, for research sake, most people would be pretty honest. My .02.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by mavrikZ
    Scrapmaker, where are you getting this stuff? Im from Texas, and Ill tell ya, I LIVED at Tx Motorplex in Ennis and I RARELY ever saw a STI beat any F-body. Yes, they are quick. But not quick enough to justify a statement such as above! I dont understand why people are soooo scared of these cars. Screw the numbers. Every magazine on every track with every driver is different. There are just as many low ball STI #'s as there are LS1. Maybe we need to form a poll to see how many people have been beaten by an STI? I think, for research sake, most people would be pretty honest. My .02.
    X2

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

fixed it for you... I've never heard of anything close to that on street tires...
    He goes 12.8X now with only longtubes, magniflow, and an LS6 intake. (stock lid, street tires) There's prolly alot you haven't heard.
    Last edited by INMY01TA; 05-10-2006 at 10:12 AM.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by mavrikZ

I was pointing out the fact that the STI will kick the crap out of an LS1 from the launch... and we know that the LS1 is more than capable to catch up, depending on the mods... he just said that the STI had a VERY little edge on him from the get-go... which is why I pointed out that it HAD to be driver error/vehicle malfunction...

we already covered that the LS1s can win in the quarter mile, I agree as well... that was only in reponse to his post...

You'll be amazed how cheap STI drivers can get their cars to 12.9/13.0... it's very impressive, but I still don't like the way they look, (personal preference.)

a new downpipe, lose all four cats, and new pipe/muffler to the rear, along with a tune is all they need for 12.9... that's all I'm sayin'...

White
    2001 Trans Am

Ok. Just making sure!

Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

You all ARE aware that i did run the STI a while back and wrote all about it in a thread, it was my friends STI so there was no lieing about ne thing, an honest few races with dif scenarios.

Look back at previous threads for "Finally ran the STI!!" thats the name of the thread.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

there's really no point in arguing... we all know, (and knew before this thread was openend,) that STIs have much better traction, which allows for some kickass launches...

if both cars are on street tires and the STI only has a slightly better launch, I'm telling ya, something is way off...

slicks are different, but dont forget the STIs can use slicks too!

all I know is that everything people said about the STIs, bogging, crap top-end, etc, none of that is really true.... I've spent all day racing STIs at the track and not once did I beat one... because almost every STI driver is going to spend the $1000 or less it takes to bring them down to a 12.9 car on street tires...

bottom line: watch out for STIs.. and they love love to race too...

For what it's worth, a "Forum Friend" with a Cobb Stage 2 pulled a 12.5 @ 110 mph.
    Stage 2 is basically Turbo Back Exhaust, ECU Reflash and Intake. Some people stay with the stock intake. Mods cost around 1-2K. Time slip included from Moroso drag strip. Those are around the best times you can expect with those mods even though he was not tuned on a dyno(Running basic off the shelf Stage 2 map). 0-60 was around 4 secs.
    http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=stage

Vishnu tuning has popular staged kits as well(Pretty much the same mods) for comparison:

http://www.vishnutuning.com/impreza_sti_stage1_v370.htm
    Last edited by garrettjj; 05-12-2006 at 03:31 PM.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

my friend has that cobb stage 2 as well.... really wakes it up... I don't think he's done the intake mods yet, so he's stuck at 13 right now

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Z-28urimport
    trans am would win (not out the hole) but in 1/4 mile
    Bye bye STI!
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/A...9FE1CD1653.htm

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

there's really no point in arguing... we all know, (and knew before this thread was openend,) that STIs have much better traction, which allows for some kickass launches...

if both cars are on street tires and the STI only has a slightly better launch, I'm telling ya, something is way off...

all I know is that everything people said about the STIs, bogging, crap top-end, etc, none of that is really true.... I've spent all day racing STIs at the track and not once did I beat one... because almost every STI driver is going to spend the $1000 or less it takes to bring them down to a 12.9 car on street tires...

you do realize that you can spend less than $1000 and get your car into the 12s too right?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I think you're making them out to be more than they really are. Its just a Subaru Impreza sedan with a 4 banger turbo engine. They run low 13's due to the AWD launch, not because of power. Most only dyno 230-240WHP stock, which is nothing special by any means.

Invent equal amount of money in both cars, and the F-Body is going to be faster. Not to mention its cheaper to buy in the first place, looks better, sounds better, and its American muscle instead of rice

black
    2000 trans am ws6

that will b a very close race.. the new sti's arnt all that fast.. about 13.4s

2009 Corvette ZO6

Quote Originally Posted by 6sw00
    that will b a very close race.. the new sti's arnt all that fast.. about 13.4s
    Sweet Trans Am you got there bro!

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA

I don't understand how that sti had such a horrible launch...

was the ta on slicks?

so for $1000 you can get an LS1 into the 12's eh? I'm not doubting it, I just didn't realize it was that cheap...

onyx black
    1999 formula firebird

i got killed on the launch against an STi but that only lasted the first 60 ft. after that all he had was a clear view of my tailights..LS1 FOR SURE!!

2009 Corvette ZO6

so for $1000 you can get an LS1 into the 12's eh? I'm not doubting it, I just didn't realize it was that cheap...
    It's very cheap, especially for those who do they're own installation's. All it took for my LS1 w/A4 was the Lid w/K&N filter, Stall Speed, and a good set of tires.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread Information