Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

ls1 vs STI???

This is a discussion on ls1 vs STI??? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I heard that too. I think traction is a big prob with them. Sick cars though. 700hp stock blocks are ...

sunset orange
    02 SS M6

I heard that too. I think traction is a big prob with them. Sick cars though. 700hp stock blocks are pretty hardcore to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker
    is it true what they say about the Supras??? the whole "Dyno-Queen" thing?? I just hear all about these 500, 600, and even 700 horsepower Supras that have a hard time breaking out of the mid-12s... something about those cars just prevents traction... I never knew why...

my friend has a tt with considerable mods and I think he still runs 13s...

but impressive none-the-less...

White
    2001 Trans Am

Goes to show the effeciancy of a inline engine.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by ErikElvis
    I heard that too. I think traction is a big prob with them. Sick cars though. 700hp stock blocks are pretty hardcore to me.

they can make some sick power, that's for sure

Quote Originally Posted by ErikElvis
    1000hp has been reached reliably(With a good tune on the stock 2jz-gte engine). People are still pushing the envelope on that engine. No doubt, I'm sure there are some high HP Supras that have ran some crappy ETs.

High ETs related to power are more an indication of driver/setup than car. I guarantee the car is flying through the traps with 700+hp. On Supraforums they have a registy of owners who still have the stock twin turbo setup(Around 420-450rwhp) and 115-120 traps are the norm. Some are in the 10s, most are in the 11-12 second range. Not bad for the stock twins and basic bolt ons.

Large Single Turbo Supras like the ones below are capable of crazy speeds when tuned/configured correctly. I'm not saying all Supras are this fast, for what it's worth--not all Supras with 500-1000hp run 12's either....

http://www.mkiv.com
    http://www.supraforums.com
    http://www.bolt.com/417supra/video/5...eo_large_PAGE1
    http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...045B50F09A.htm

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

the TTs are rated at roughly 425rwhp and they notoriously run low/mid 13s somehow...

I've heard the frame just bends too much... or maybe the car is too short, I don't know... but I know these cars are SICK on the highway....

but I still race with them

Silver
    1998 Trans AM WS6

Im not gonna lie an sti pulled up next to my 98 ws6 which is pretty much stock with flowmasters and he pulled out a video camera and i beat him by about a half a car length to the next light. Maybe he was just a bad driver because he did spin the tires off the line a little

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

must have been a bad driver, because the only way you'd beat him is if there was a whole mile between the lights...

soon to be T.A. owner

IMO ricers are gay and the drivers are waay too cocky.. i know this bc everybody knows ricer drivers hate streetbikers and streetbikers hate ricer drivers.. ST fo life!!

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

hey boobs, you'll soon realize that ricers WILL NEVER RACE US... ever... so they may be cocky when you're sittin in your minivan, or a dodge neon... but they won't even look over... that's how scared they are..

if you find one that wants to race, then you might want to watch out... they could have some crazy mods..

Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

I wouldn't condsider an STI a ricer........one of the few import cars that has earned my respect.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by BLKbandit98
    I just said and STI would rip you apart on the launch. A 1/4 is differant, but im still gonna go with an STI, UNLESS the LS1 is pretty heavily modded, or spraying. What are your mods????
    You dont know what you're talkin about. You dont need to spray (let alone heavy modding) to beat an STI in an LS1.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA
    You dont know what you're talkin about. You dont need to spray (let alone heavy modding) to beat an STI in an LS1.
    how many of us run 13.3's stock?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker
    how many of us run 13.3's stock?
    I seen lots of em. All you need is a driver.

Fairies Drive Imports camaro_five0's Avatar

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

You know, my friend has a 04 WRX (non-STi) but has put aftermarket turbo and intercooler with full exhaust package including headers. He's pumping 304 HP. I beat him both times we raced. He had a VERY little edge on the take-off, but I made it up quickly in 2nd gear. My car is pretty much stock. Just MAF, airbox, and SLP loudmouth.

2009 Corvette ZO6

Quote Originally Posted by camaro_five0
    He had a VERY little edge on the take-off, but I made it up quickly in 2nd gear.
    There's much you can do to eliminate the need for catching up through 2nd gear. What are you're plans, in reference to you're suspension?

Fairies Drive Imports camaro_five0's Avatar

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

I would like to try putting the V6 camaro springs in the back and leave the stock SS springs up front. lets the ass end give way a little to the torque, putting the looser springs in the rear.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

You know, my friend has a 04 WRX (non-STi) but has put aftermarket turbo and intercooler with full exhaust package including headers. He's pumping 304 HP. I beat him both times we raced. He had a VERY little edge on the take-off, but I made it up quickly in 2nd gear. My car is pretty much stock. Just MAF, airbox, and SLP loudmouth.
    no offense, but he did something VERY wrong if he only had a "VERY little edge on the take-off." Although, were you using slicks?

my friend has the same mods as you mentioned and runs about 300AWHP... that gives the STI a flat 13... MAYBE if they're lucky/abusive, a 12.9...

and it seems that a bunch of people on these boards have magical LS1s... because I went to the track for a F-Body shoot-out a few weeks ago, and they were all running 13.5-14.3 stock..

I believe in magic so it's okay.

2009 Corvette ZO6

I would like to try putting the V6 camaro springs in the back and leave the stock SS springs up front. lets the ass end give way a little to the torque, putting the looser springs in the rear.
    That's a consideration...

Ultimately, getting our cars to hook as good as an STI on the street, is a lot like when two porcupines make love.... it's an extremely delicate situation. A four link suspension is the ultimate, but too radical of course.

I agree with the above poster, in that the driver must have been very inexperienced. He should have taken you rather easily, not slightly, from the dig. Check out Spohn's adjustable torque arms, as well as some Koni adjustable shocks. Thicker meats, w/ a solid rear end, and it's just a matter of practice on you're end. If you were an A4, then a stall speed converter would be a must.
    Last edited by Street Lethal; 05-09-2006 at 02:39 PM.

Awaiting Activation
    OHH MY GOD!!! this has gone on far enough. Some1 plz just lock it and forget about it.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by BLKbandit98
    OHH MY GOD!!! this has gone on far enough. Some1 plz just lock it and forget about it.
    why? everyone's having fun, maintaining respect for both sides, and learning at the same time...

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread Information