Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

ls1 vs STI???

This is a discussion on ls1 vs STI??? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Wesman Hah thats a good example. A Mach 1 with 5 lengths advantage wouldn't just beat an ...

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman
    Hah thats a good example. A Mach 1 with 5 lengths advantage wouldn't just beat an STI, it would rape it. Mach 1's put down about 50 more Horsepower at the wheels than an STI, so it would also destroy it from a dig, as well as in trap speeds.
    STIs lose a lot of power to the AWD... my bud with the 05 said they get anywhere from 250-260awhp stock...

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker
    STIs lose a lot of power to the AWD... my bud with the 05 said they get anywhere from 250-260awhp stock...
    You ain't kidding.

You've buddy was being generous with those numbers though, they dyno more like 230-240 AWHP stock

2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

If I had a choice in a heads up race, I would rather be behind the wheel of a Mach 1 as opposed to an STi.

It has the potential to launch better than an LS1, and it is only slightly slower from a roll, if at all... Like a strong Mach against an average or below average LS1.

1997 Formula & 2003 cobra
    race up to 130+ you will beat him.. off the line sure he will jump ahead of you and it will take u a while to catch him but after 3rd gear you will slowly catch him and put a couple cars on him..

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman
    You ain't kidding.

You've buddy was being generous with those numbers though, they dyno more like 230-240 AWHP stock

hrm... according to forums he's read, his current mods should have him at 300awhp now... that's a MIRACULOUS increase from 240 from simply ditching the cats, new midpipe, and a custom tune with realtime readouts... with no other mods I'm aware of...

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

hrm... according to forums he's read, his current mods should have him at 300awhp now... that's a MIRACULOUS increase from 240 from simply ditching the cats, new midpipe, and a custom tune with realtime readouts... with no other mods I'm aware of...

Thats ridiculous, gaining 60-70WHP from taking off the cats, and getting a midpipe and a custom tune

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

he runs exactly a 13.0... with at least three-dozen launches.. so he's had some practice...

maybe someone can figure out how much hp he has by his times and how much the car weighs??

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

he runs exactly a 13.0... with at least three-dozen launches.. so he's had some practice...

maybe someone can figure out how much hp he has by his times and how much the car weighs??
    That would be extremely difficult since his car is AWD. He's not running 13.0 because of pure power, he's running 13.0 because he can come off the line extremely hard. The same car with FWD would probably be in the high 13's. So if you tried to calculate it out, it would appear he has much more HP than he really does.

A more accurate way to figure it out would be to go by his trap speed and weight, since the AWD doesn't affect that

Here's the article. JKing I do agree with what you said "All things equal, a Cobra should run a half a second faster on average" On the street under less than optimal conditions traction may be an issue though. I'm sure with some better than stock tires that can be minimized. Also, the Cobra does have better modability than an STI.

The STI is superior on a road coarse though. The STI was BARELY quicker than the Cobra in the 1/4 and the Cobra had way higher traps 109. Even though most STIs hit around 103 traps. The Cobra is fairly porky tipping the scales at 3665 compared to 3263 lbs for the STI. That definately plays a factor in performance especially around a track.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...%20vs%20Cobra/
    Last edited by garrettjj; 04-27-2006 at 09:33 PM.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by garrettjj
    Decent article. Notice any difference in the trap speeds?? The STi was trapping at 100.5MPH, while the Cobra was trapping at 109MPH. Thats a true indication of which car is faster, and the Cobra is by a very large margin, the STi is a joke IMO, I mean seriously, 13.3 at 100MPH?? Its all because of the AWD, there no real power there.

Look, just like what was stated this whole thread. That's one comparison in one magazine on one day. Enough numbers have been quoted and proven for all the cars on here. The STI is capable of 13.3 @ 103 in STOCK form. That's a fact on not debatable. It's not even a drag car, yet can pull some good numbers. It's true element is road course, auto-x.

If those times are joke for a stock car well so be it.

sunset orange
    02 SS M6

Man people can be harsh on forums to that unlike their kind. STI's are fast cars. Ur looking at 2 completely different types of fast cars here. All I can say is respect them for what they are. I have respect for most all kinds of cars (well most) I cant say im into ricers. But there are some fast rice guzzlers out there.

White
    2001 Trans Am

Wow, I stand corrected---in that article. I have never seen a Cobra run only a 13.3. Do the math: Cobra 390HP Z28 310HP That is a 80HP difference. And BOTH of these engines are known to be underrated, so no matter how you cut it there is still a significant gap between the two. That would mean that a Z would run approx. 14.1(using the commonly accepted equasion of 10HP =1/10th). Hmmm
    This is why I dont buy Hot Rod. They are just as bad as Car and Driver.

1997 Formula & 2003 cobra
    13.3 @ 100mph..??? damn!! that means he got AWD and got a real good launch with that but rest of it crap.. any LS1 from a dig will blow those STI's doors off if they race up to 130 at the most..

i was at the track yesterday and i was running an STI with stage 4 ECU(dont know want that is for him) front mount, upgraded turbo, and a HKS BOV. i have a 00 WS6 M6 with flowmaster and a K&N filter and i kick his ass everytime we ran. i just think he sucks at driveing.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

well what were your y'alls drag numbers?

2009 Corvette ZO6

Good Post!

Quote Originally Posted by jking
    Several years ago a magazine tester from Road & Track (or someone like that) was on LS1.com answering questions, and the subject of shitty times in magazines came up. He explained why the times they recorded were slower than what you see at the strip.
    Yes, even today... most tester's will readily acknowledge such facts. In fact, I recently read an article written in Motor Trend, entitled, "Dial 911". They were giving their perspective regarding the 911 vs ZO6 debate. Although they had some very nice things to say about the new LS7 equipped vette, it was obvious the entire article was bias (both favoring the Porsche in other ways, and embellising on the vette's other faults). Quoting a quarter mile time of twelve seconds flat, I've seen untouched ZO6's running mid 11's all freaking day at the track...

What most people fail to realize, is that magazine's are paid top dollar by car manufacturer's to help bolster sales. People don't just "lobby" in the political game, it happens everywhere, especially in the automotive industry...

Quote Originally Posted by jking
    I also think that there is sometimes bias involved in magazines claimed times. Like the time Hotrod magazine ran an STi against an 03' Cobra, and they got a faster time out of the STi. I think the STI was in the 13.3's, and the Cobra was slower.
    You've brought back a very good example of what is going on. People today can't seem to grip the fact that Subaru, in fact, all Imports buy themselves a window of opportunity. There has to be a "happy medium" in pertinence to selling competition. The same can be applied with gas prices going up. To the average schmuck, gas prices are going up because of what is happening in the middle east.... but to those who are in the know, it is the Hybrid's turn to try and achieve it's status (our tankers are full, believe me). Everything is carefully planned from the beginning, and so long as these companies are making profit, it will never change!

well what were your y'alls drag numbers?
    he said he was running 13.3s but i neer saw it and we him and I ran he kept running high 13s and i was running mid 13s. i had 4 mph on him at the end better 60ft times and i kick his ass off the line. i guess he just needs to learn how to drive the car. BC that car should be running alot faster then that.

You guys are cool. I'm glad this was kept civil without all that Import vs Domestic crap that you see slung about on many forums. Preferences and opinions aside(This is an LS1 forum) it seems most people respect the car for what it is and what's is capable of. I just came across this vid on Streetfire which goes along with what we were talking about. STI gets a strong holeshot and LS2 fights for traction(In this case) then runs it down. Close "Street" races.

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...C94B78D32C.htm

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/4...608E3838AE.htm
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...a/STIvsEVO.jpg
    Last edited by garrettjj; 05-02-2006 at 09:52 PM.
    95 Supra TT 420rwhp
    05 STI Stage2

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

is it true what they say about the Supras??? the whole "Dyno-Queen" thing?? I just hear all about these 500, 600, and even 700 horsepower Supras that have a hard time breaking out of the mid-12s... something about those cars just prevents traction... I never knew why...

my friend has a tt with considerable mods and I think he still runs 13s...

but impressive none-the-less...

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information