Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

ls1 vs STI???

This is a discussion on ls1 vs STI??? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I got the Borla Hush Twin Tip, very mild....Yeah the Regular Borla is way too loud, no doubt. Very Happy ...

I got the Borla Hush Twin Tip, very mild....Yeah the Regular Borla is way too loud, no doubt. Very Happy with the American made exhausts(B@B, Borla, etc). Many of the import exhausts are not my taste.
    Last edited by garrettjj; 03-29-2006 at 02:54 PM.

Red
    1999 WS6

STI will def take a ws6 on street tires off the line.....get em at a roll however and you'll destroy him, by the time he builds up enough boost from a roll he'll have to shift and start all over....you'll have a good a car or two on him right away..

Black
    2000 Formula

I've been in a STI and its wicked fast...but no one seemed to mention one big factor...THEY ARE UGLY AS HELL!!!! (IMO)

I like my Bird...

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker
    but being so close, performance-wise, it pretty much comes down to how appealing one car is compared to the other... and I think most of us will probably agree, that the f-bodys have a bit more charm than some 4-door subaru impreza with a body kit that just so happens to be fast... I prefer cars designed from the ground up to be fast... not after-thoughts.

gotta read

Black
    2000 Formula

Missed that one scrap, I couldnt agree more!

White
    2005 WRX STi

hey, don't get my wrong, I LOVE riding in my bud's 05 STI... but, when I compare everything... like looks, price, reliability, FOUR DOORS, and the fact that it's basically just a tricked-out economy car... I prefer the trans am instead...
    Subarus are notoriously reliable, especially the engines. They just keep going forever. I would also argue the looks point too. Looks are subjective and I personally I like the look of my STi much more than any F-body. Also, a lot of STi owners don't have a luxury of having one car dedicated to summer fun. That's where the STi shines. It is very practical, yet fun. It's a nice combination.

Also, I believe the "economy car" comment is a little backwards. The Impreza chassis was developed for rallying and the WRX and WRX STi is the result of that work. The Impreza base models are just drastically "detuned" cars.
    I prefer cars designed from the ground up to be fast... not after-thoughts.
    If you are talking fast in a straight line, yes the STi was never designed for ultimate straight-line speed. It is geared for very fast acceleration from 0-60 and to a lesser extent 0-100. If we actually got the full JDM version of the STi, we would have a car capable of high 12s @ 107-108 mph, stock. The USDM STis aren't quite as tuned for top-end power delivery as the JDM version (different motor too.)

Quote Originally Posted by BLKbandit98
    And i heard if u constantly launching those thigns ur gonna have tranny trouble sooner or later.
    The STis don't have tranny problems. We tend to break axles if launching improperly. There is a modded STi putting out 600whp (well, over 800 now) and the 6spd finally let go after they did a few runs on slicks (10s @ 13x mph.) Brutal. I have about 30 launches and no problems, but I'm stock too. The WRX 5spd is definitely weaker than the STi 6spd.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertiviper
    LOL ALRIGHT ALRIGHT! One final thought to basically sum up this thread. STI's are nothing to play around with, and If i have 40k to spend on it.....well, i would not, 40k could buy you something that is much more substantial. Am I looking to race on loose gravel? No. Do I define a sports car as having 4 DOORS? No. Do I care if i cant drive my car in the snow...who the #$% races in the snow n e ways?!?! I think the bottom line is my T/A that cost me 10k with oddly enough 10k orig miles with some bolt ons is an equal performer......

One this an STI will never have is REAL-American-Muscle, which is why we drive the cars we drive...
    Wow, that is the kind of talk that gives "American muscle" car guys a bad name. It's funny because at the strip, where I got dominated by all the 9 and 10 sec '60s-'70s rebuilds, some of those guys took the time to come over and compliment my car. The most common thing said was "damn I can't believe how fast that thing gets off the line...and it's only got 4 cylinders?" Those guys were true enthusiasts.

Whether you like it or not, the STi is a sports sedan. In a straightline, it's almost the equal of your pure-bred sports car and on a road course, where it is at home, it is much more capable - stock for stock. Screw the snow and loose gravel. I race on tarmac.

As for your comment about 10K spent, come on... Once the STi is 5 years old, you'll be able to pick one up for 15K or so. The rationale of "oh I can buy a 4-6 year old car (or older) for X less than a brand new one" is just being silly.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1
    I don't agree with that. I wouldn't think a stock STI would have a 0-60 much under five seconds if at all. AWD is good tho. A friend of mine raced one he thought he would lose to but ended up beating it. he has a 94 gt w/ LT, ORH, pulleys, etc. I think he said the STI was stock or maybe with a couple boltons.
    Believe it or not, the STi will do 0-60 in around 4.6-5 seconds will a full on launch (5k). Soft launch or 5mph/1st gear roll is 5.4-5.8. The extremely short gearing in 1 & 2 ensure that. It's all in the launch though. If the driver screws up, they certainly won't take a well driven LS1 off the line.
    Last edited by Fiend; 04-07-2006 at 11:42 PM.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

[QUOTE=Fiend]

If you are talking fast in a straight line, yes the STi was never designed for ultimate straight-line speed. It is geared for very fast acceleration from 0-60 and to a lesser extent 0-100. If we actually got the full JDM version of the STi, we would have a car capable of high 12s @ 107-108 mph, stock. The USDM STis aren't quite as tuned for top-end power delivery as the JDM version (different motor too.)

well if we got the 427 Z06 ENGINE and blah blah blah.
    where would the sti be??
    come on, lets make some more excuses.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

black

Quote Originally Posted by Fiend
    Wow, that is the kind of talk that gives "American muscle" car guys a bad name. It's funny because at the strip, where I got dominated by all the 9 and 10 sec '60s-'70s rebuilds, some of those guys took the time to come over and compliment my car. The most common thing said was "damn I can't believe how fast that thing gets off the line...and it's only got 4 cylinders?" Those guys were true enthusiasts.

Whether you like it or not, the STi is a sports sedan. In a straightline, it's almost the equal of your pure-bred sports car and on a road course, where it is at home, it is much more capable - stock for stock. Screw the snow and loose gravel. I race on tarmac.
    you may race on a course, most ls1 owners dont.
    the ones that do, well lets just say Z06.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

well the WS6s do about the same 0-60(4.9-5.2 seconds)... but by the time y'all hit 50 or so, your top end just starts to fall apart... and then that's when the ls1 starts to shine...

and obviously you are going to prefer the looks of your sti... anyone that spends $35k on a car is gonna love it, no matter what... it's not to say it's super hideous... but, to be honest, the first dozen times I saw one, I just thought it was some riced-up civic or something... even sounds like it... it's not until you actually see/feel the power of them, that they get the respect they deserve...

I think if I was gonna spend that much on one of these AWD rally cars, I'd seriously consider the Evo MR since it is actually faster, stock, even though it has 30 less horsepower...

It sure would be awesome if you could put a turbo v8 in the STI though... man oh man... could you imagine an STI with 500hp with a REAL torque curve? quad slicks...

Black
    2000 Formula

Watch speed channel? SCCA T2 Class Formulas against STI's they put on a great show... Both cars are very capable of road course racing.

White
    2005 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by mdevecchio
    Watch speed channel? SCCA T2 Class Formulas against STI's they put on a great show... Both cars are very capable of road course racing.
    Oh I know, I try to catch that when I can. The STis are restricted in T2 though, but they were also seriously outclassed by the Vettes in T1. If I remember correctly, they won T2. BTW you guys play dirty...lots of rubbing...NASCAR style.

Stock for stock though, the STi is a bit too hard for a Camaro to handle on a road course. I know from experience on various road courses, not just magazine racing. Not to say the Camaro can't be setup up nicely for road racing - it definitely can - but not quite to the extent the STi can. The reverse is true for power. The LS1 has so much more potential than a turbo H4. Dollar for dollar you can go MUCH faster than we can. It just depends on what you want to do with the car.

For me, the best of both worlds would be the new C6 Z06. Good grief that car is a beast and a bargain. I've always wanted a Porsche but it is hard to justify $50k more when the Z06 is just so digustingly capable.
    Last edited by Fiend; 04-08-2006 at 11:00 AM.

well the WS6s do about the same 0-60(4.9-5.2 seconds)... but by the time y'all hit 50 or so, your top end just starts to fall apart... and then that's when the ls1 starts to shine...

and obviously you are going to prefer the looks of your sti... anyone that spends $35k on a car is gonna love it, no matter what... it's not to say it's super hideous... but, to be honest, the first dozen times I saw one, I just thought it was some riced-up civic or something... even sounds like it... it's not until you actually see/feel the power of them, that they get the respect they deserve...

I think if I was gonna spend that much on one of these AWD rally cars, I'd seriously consider the Evo MR since it is actually faster, stock, even though it has 30 less horsepower...

It sure would be awesome if you could put a turbo v8 in the STI though... man oh man... could you imagine an STI with 500hp with a REAL torque curve? quad slicks...
    Scrap, the top end does not "Fall apart" by 50 as you put it. Stock the STI can hit 103-104 traps. I have plenty of proof. LT1s trapped 98-99. LS1s 105-107. EVEN for being AWD they have decent top end, but it's nothing great.

I just pulled 4 mags from my archive and searched for some of the better results for both cars. These are repeated, achievable numbers.
    00 Pontiac Trans AM WS6:
    Price 32,090. 320HP 0-60 5.0 1/4 mile 13.5/107.4 Braking(60-0) 121ft Slalom 64.6mph

06 Subaru WRX STI
    Price 33,620 300HP 0-60 4.5 1/4 mile 13.0/103.3 Braking(60-0) 108ft Slalom 68.98mph .91g grip

The STI has a good .5 second lead ALL the way till the 1/4 mile mark. It's only at much higher speeds 100+ where the LS1 "Shines". Hey the LS1 is an awesome motor. No one is denying that, but you want to diminish the STIs capabilities and most is not true. The handling and braking numbers are substantially better. The whole price thing makes no sense. An optioned WS6 costs almost the same price..6 YEARS AGO!

White
    2005 WRX STi

Our top end doesn't fall apart until about 80mph and really takes a hit at 100-110mph. The nice thing about the STi is that the 0-60 is pretty constant regardless of whether you are at the street, strip, or on less than perfect roads. It really does make you take for granted how hard it can be to really launch a powerful RWD car well.

and obviously you are going to prefer the looks of your sti... anyone that spends $35k on a car is gonna love it, no matter what... it's not to say it's super hideous... but, to be honest, the first dozen times I saw one,
    You know, I actually didn't consider the looks when I bought the STi. I actually thought it was rather homely at first, but it really grew on me these last 2 years. I bought the STi because, for the price, there is very few cars in its class with the same power, handling, reliability, and practicality. This thing is a BEAST on the track (road course.) There is no Evo here in Canada.

I just thought it was some riced-up civic or something... even sounds like it... it's not until you actually see/feel the power of them, that they get the respect they deserve...
    OK, I'm not going to pretend that a STi sounds better than a nice V8, but in no way does the H4 sound like a farty little I4. The boxer engine has one of the nicest sounds around for a 4 cylinder. It is throaty and definitely has a great sound. But yes, from what you're used to I guess it might not "do it" for you. The STi definitely doesn't sound like a Civic.

The Evo MR isn't faster out of the box but can definitely be made faster for cheaper. The problem is the warranty and reliability of the Evos (well, certain aspects anyway.) Mitsubishi is not the company you want to deal with if you actually use your car as intended. 10 year warranty my ass. I road race and autox my STi with full knowledge of the dealership. Granted it isn't at a competitive level, but my dealership still warranties everything.

Plus I couldn't really get an Evo up here in Canada.

Hehe, yes it would but I think they call that the Audi RS4.

White
    2005 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula
    well if we got the 427 Z06 ENGINE and blah blah blah.
    where would the sti be??
    come on, lets make some more excuses.
    Well yeah, but the JDM motor is actually smaller than our USDM one...not bigger like the LS6. 94 octane just isn't overly available so the higher compression 2.0L isn't a good fit here.

you may race on a course, most ls1 owners dont.
    the ones that do, well lets just say Z06.
    Yes, but find me a new Z06 for $30K usd and I'll drop my STi in a heartbeat. I would LOVE a new Z06. 1/4 mile power AND amazing handling. Can't beat that!
    Last edited by Fiend; 04-08-2006 at 10:58 AM.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

you are comparing the 2006 STI... they must have tuned them more... because the 05 STIs were getting like 4.9 0-60 and like 13.7 at the track...

my friend couldn't shake his 13.7 until he redid his whole exhaust.. no cats at all, and one hell of a tuning computer...

my a4 with 103k got 14.07 just today as I raced my friend in the STI... who got 13 flat after his upgrades... if I knew how the hell to launch this car, I could creep up on his 13.7... maybe, or this engine just needs replacement...

his 60 foot times are off the damn chart...

black

Well yeah, but the JDM motor is actually smaller than our USDM one...not bigger like the LS6. 94 octane just isn't overly available so the higher compression 2.0L isn't a good fit here.

Yes, but find me a new Z06 for $30K usd and I'll drop my STi in a heartbeat. I would LOVE a new Z06. 1/4 mile power AND amazing handling. Can't beat that!
    well you can get a low miles 02-03 Z06 for around 30k

White
    2005 WRX STi

you are comparing the 2006 STI... they must have tuned them more... because the 05 STIs were getting like 4.9 0-60 and like 13.7 at the track...
    Subaru's official literature for the 04 STi was 4.9 sec, 05 STi was 4.6 and some mags are listing the 06 as 4.5 (which I find a bit hard to believe.) Most mags list the 04/05s as 4.7ish.

1/4 mile times for the 04/05s are in the 13.2-13.3 @ 101-103 range but you definitely need to know how to drive the car. There was a guy at the strip I went to that ran a 13.1, stock, with a 1.71 60ft in his 05. Some people on our forums have hit 12.9-13.0 with their 05s. One guy is running 12.6 @ 108 with just a TBE exhaust and ECU map. Definitely not the norm, but not bad.

A 13.7-.8 would be considered "inexperienced" and pretty average. As I said, my first time at the strip EVER, with a hideous 2.0 60ft, I ran a 13.8 @ 99.

Our cars are capable of 1.7s (and on really hard launches...more than I want to do...1.6s.) Our cars are also highly octane sensitive, so 91 octane will cause the ECU to pull timing slightly, which could result in slower times. Subaru recommends 93+ octane for best power.

my a4 with 103k got 14.07 just today as I raced my friend in the STI...
    I assume you have mods since A4s are typically 15 second cars, right?

Black
    2000 Formula

I've decided to make my Formula AWD with a turbo... LOL

black

I assume you have mods since A4s are typically 15 second cars, right?
    what are you talking about.
    A4 LS1s are 13s stock. my car was doing 13.40s totally stock.

White
    2005 WRX STi

what are you talking about.
    A4 LS1s are 13s stock. my car was doing 13.40s totally stock.
    lmao sorry about that! I thought he meant Audi A4 lol not a 4spd (A4) automatic. My bad. Just one of those brain fart moments...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information