Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

ls1 vs STI???

This is a discussion on ls1 vs STI??? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by ScrapMaker stock WS6 will eat an STI in the 1/4 mile... they run basically 13.5 stock... my ...

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker
    stock WS6 will eat an STI in the 1/4 mile... they run basically 13.5 stock...

my bud modded his exhaust and bought this expensive tuner computer... after that, he got it to 13 flat...

so yeah, basically, the STI will take you off the line, but the AWD is so parasitic, that after about 40mph, you will gain on him...

and if you put slicks on your T/A... you could probably even take him on the launch...

my friend has the '05 sti, and for them to even launch, they CANNOT have slicks... if it grabs too much, those cars will bog like hell... they have to drop the clutch at 3000-4000rpm to even get going...

but, even if the STI ate you in every race... you'd still own him in looks and cool-factor... I can't stand the way those econo-boxes look... ugh... and for the price, I think you could do better than an STI... but that's just me thinking out loud...
    STI vs LS1 Vette Performance Figures. I've seen better for both. Very close, even past 80 and 1/4 mile. STI got there a little sooner, but the Vette is accelerating faster through the traps. It would be a close race. STI low end advantage LS1 high end advantage.

http://www.car-videos.net/performanc...D1=169&ID2=106

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

that has the 98 Z28 at 13.9 1/4 mile... is that even close? I thought they ran similar to the WS6s... and that site doesn't even have the ws6s...

Baracus
    Or firehawks.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1
    STI will stomp a stock T/A.
    are you retarded? have you read one line of this thread? k thx bye.

White
    2001 Trans Am

Second that^

Awaiting Activation
    ITS AN STI I MEAN REALLY WHO CARES. For about $40k i can geta used ZO6 and walk over the STI like it was sainding still. The only reason kids buy those things are for popularity symbols. I would never trade my bird in for an STI. I see more heads rutn in a WS6 than in a STI (satten in 1 b4.) There so common ppl dont care just other STI owners. Same thing with stangs. AND what sounds better "I drive a subaru" or "I drive a fucking TRANS AM"

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Imagine if you picked up a low-mileage 02 WS6 and put spent $15k on it, (equalling the price of the STI,) and see where you stand at that point...

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

yea in the 10's

Quote Originally Posted by BLKbandit98
    ITS AN STI I MEAN REALLY WHO CARES. For about $40k i can geta used ZO6 and walk over the STI like it was sainding still. The only reason kids buy those things are for popularity symbols. I would never trade my bird in for an STI. I see more heads rutn in a WS6 than in a STI (satten in 1 b4.) There so common ppl dont care just other STI owners. Same thing with stangs. AND what sounds better "I drive a subaru" or "I drive a fucking TRANS AM"
    <Please allow me to retort, as I am on a LS1 forum>

Yeah and for that same 40K you could get a Z06 and walk circles around the WS6, so I guess I missed the point. You're saying an STI is more common than a Firebird/Camaro/Vette?? They've only been in production for a couple years for the US and even those numbers are limited. The demographics for STI owners are across the board, many are not kids and don't care about popularity contests. They are purchased for their performance, technology, practicality, and reliability. Which sounds better "I drive a Pontiac" or "I drive a Subaru" or even "STI" or "Trans AM" The answer is who gives a crap. Well, you can draw your own conclusions on that one. I'm sure it depends who you ask. Most people will not be cross shopping those two cars. BUT I do know a few people who have both and are loving it. Now I'm DEFENDING the STI and am NOT putting down the LS1s. They have my respect and appreciation, which brings me back to the topic at hand...It will be a close race stock for stock.

White
    2001 Trans Am

Exclamation

I think the moral of the story is: Dont be SCARED of STI's but certainly RESPECT them, cause the fact is, the little fuckers are quick! When you are arguing tenths on 0-60's and ET's it really becomes a driver's race. Not the car. Its really WHO is faster, not WHAT.

Awaiting Activation
    [QUOTE=garrettjj]<Please allow me to retort, as I am on a LS1 forum>

They've only been in production for a couple years for the US and even those numbers are limited. QUOTE]

Im not saying more common, im just saying iv seen more STI's on the street than trans am's. TRANS AM'S not firebirds. I dont see why ur in such shock, after all the trans am was put to a rest in 2002. From what i know the STI has been in the US since 1998. I could be wrong though. I have respect for STI's there about the only ricer outta the box that can be used in the same sentence with an LS1. But the more i hear about them going down, the more my respect diminishes for them. Forget the xtra $15k i know guys with full bolt ons to their LS1's beating M3's.

Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

To Sum Up This Thread!!!

LOL ALRIGHT ALRIGHT! One final thought to basically sum up this thread. STI's are nothing to play around with, and If i have 40k to spend on it.....well, i would not, 40k could buy you something that is much more substantial. Am I looking to race on loose gravel? No. Do I define a sports car as having 4 DOORS? No. Do I care if i cant drive my car in the snow...who the #$% races in the snow n e ways?!?! I think the bottom line is my T/A that cost me 10k with oddly enough 10k orig miles with some bolt ons is an equal performer......

One this an STI will never have is REAL-American-Muscle, which is why we drive the cars we drive...

Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

...........we dont need power goin to all 4 of our wheels to get goin.........

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Vertiviper
    ...........we dont need power goin to all 4 of our wheels to get goin.........

we also don't NEED a turbo to keep up either...

but just imagine if we had a turbo, AWD LS1...

White
    2001 Trans Am

Ah, I see a new thread in the works!!

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker
    we also don't NEED a turbo to keep up either...

but just imagine if we had a turbo, AWD LS1...
    while they have turbos, we have bigger displacement.
    per cubic inch, the sti makes more h.p which is impressive.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

hey, don't get my wrong, I LOVE riding in my bud's 05 STI... but, when I compare everything... like looks, price, reliability, FOUR DOORS, and the fact that it's basically just a tricked-out economy car... I prefer the trans am instead...

if you wanna hear something funny... my WS6 gets better gas mileage than his STI... cuz when I'm on the highway, I'm at like 2200-2500RPM at like 80-90mph... and he's at like 5000RPM... 2.5 liters gets worse mileage somehow, and the car is lighter...

I'm tellin ya, the AWD aspect really robs power... but I love how he can just leave his AWD in 'auto' mode where it applies power to the front/rear depending on where the traction is needed...

and a 4-wheel burnout just kicks ass... but the car, overall, just isn't my taste...

so basically, yeah, the cars will be VERY DAMN CLOSE in the 1/4 mile... but it tops out way before the ls1...

but being so close, performance-wise, it pretty much comes down to how appealing one car is compared to the other... and I think most of us will probably agree, that the f-bodys have a bit more charm than some 4-door subaru impreza with a body kit that just so happens to be fast... I prefer cars designed from the ground up to be fast... not after-thoughts.

Awaiting Activation
    The point is that in real life, the person in the trans am and STI arent pros behind the wheel. So itll be who is better driving. If the guy can launch the LS1 is fucked off the line, but will catch up. The point is its and STI. Will an aftermarket exhaust for the STI give u the same rich rumble as a loudmouth on an LS1??? NO!! And i heard if u constantly launching those thigns ur gonna have tranny trouble sooner or later.

You guys make some good points, thanks for not flaming me. I would only add that the STI did come out here in the states in 04(The regular WRX was here before then). Also at 80 mph the tach is at 3K rpm if in 6th gear, but like mentioned before the mileage is not very good-That turbo is thirsty. I wouldn't be surpised if the LS1 got better mileage.

You can't really compare the STI to it's economy car roots. It's a much different revamped animal with plenty of success in various forms of racing. Look what it comes with...Brembo brakes, Adjustable AWD system, Lighweight BBS wheels, Turbo/Intercooled, Intercooler water spray, Ultra Hi-Po tires, Large 4cyl Boxer Engine, Rev warning controller, the list goes on. You really do get a lot for your money and it will outperform many more expensive cars.

I'm not going to argue that a V8 sounds better than a 4Cyl(Turbo sounds are cool though). But the Boxer engine on the STI is unique and does have a deep, throaty grumble to it. When mated to an aftermarket exhaust it sounds really good. I just got a Borla exhaust for my car and it sounds great..
    Last edited by garrettjj; 03-29-2006 at 02:37 PM.
    95 Supra TT 420rwhp
    05 STI Stage2

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

my friend has the borla for his and likes it..

it's so loud that its unbearable though

but it does what he wants... which is to be loud....

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information