Hey all,

A buddy and I are always havin this debate... which car would win:

99 T/A 6spd (magaflow catback/slp flowpac) non WS6
    vs
    2006 stock WRX STI

T/A has 305 stock hp, 344 tq

STI has 300/300 even

thoughts?????

he says AWD would beat the T/A off the line by 1.5 car lengths, ..i disagree....i think the decent torque we have WOULD make up for some launch.....

Awaiting Activation
    I disagree. I know for a fact that an STI will eat up an LS1 off the line. If your a great driver, you probably wont lose that much on the launch but it will still be pretty bad. On a 1/4 mile, as much as i love LS1's im gonna have to give this up to the ST1. On a 1/2 mile race an LS1 will probably win. See this is where these things shine at. There only good on a take off, but later on an LS1 will start pulling. IN CONCLUSION, if i were to bet, u both are great dirver, great conditions, 1/4 race, IM GOING WITH THE STI.

Silver
    98 Honda Civic

Imports suck! You'll win! LS-1's rule all!

I think that's the official party-line, but in all honesty I think it would be very close.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

the sti will dick you off the line. in a 1/4 run it will be close.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

black

Quote Originally Posted by BLKbandit98
    I disagree. I know for a fact that an STI will eat up an LS1 off the line. If your a great driver, you probably wont lose that much on the launch but it will still be pretty bad. On a 1/4 mile, as much as i love LS1's im gonna have to give this up to the ST1. On a 1/2 mile race an LS1 will probably win. See this is where these things shine at. There only good on a take off, but later on an LS1 will start pulling. IN CONCLUSION, if i were to bet, u both are great dirver, great conditions, 1/4 race, IM GOING WITH THE STI.
    speak for yourself. ive yet to lose to an sti.

Awaiting Activation
    I just said and STI would rip you apart on the launch. A 1/4 is differant, but im still gonna go with an STI, UNLESS the LS1 is pretty heavily modded, or spraying. What are your mods????

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

sti will take the launch, they'll rev up to 6k drop the clutch and scream off the line like a bat out of hell...but that awd will fail around 40MPh mark and their shitty top end will be revealed when your ls1 hits 3rd and all 300 wheel hp kicks in to kill a 240 awhp.

black

I just said and STI would rip you apart on the launch. A 1/4 is differant, but im still gonna go with an STI, UNLESS the LS1 is pretty heavily modded, or spraying. What are your mods????
    well if i could hook better 11s.

im a stalled a4 that could do 11s with better tires.
    as i said, i have yet to lose to an sti.

Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

I'm not sayin vs MY car, which is lightly modded, im just sayin the concept of awd in the start, vs tq and hp in the end.

Big Nasty

Artic White
    1998 Trans Am

Last time I was at the test and tune I lined up against a WRX. It took me off the line but my launch sucks. With a little more practice, it would have been closer and I might have taken him.
    98 TA LS1/M6........79 Formula 400/TH400
    "I got the shakes that'll make you quake! I got the fries that'll cross your eyes! I got that burgers that'll... I just got burgers." - Cheeseburger Eddie

2000pontiac6
    Quote Originally Posted by SharkTA
    Last time I was at the test and tune I lined up against a WRX. It took me off the line but my launch sucks. With a little more practice, it would have been closer and I might have taken him.

By WRX you do mean WRX STI right??

White
    2001 Trans Am

STI will fire off the line, nasty! You should beable to pull by 3rd gear. But, 3/4 of the race will be playing catch-up. Money on the LS1. Admitedly, close though!

Black
    1998 Camaro SS Vert M6

I have a good friend with an 06 STI (due to him wrecking his 05). We raced from a dig, the AWD is awesome off the line but I had two cars on him in the QTR, we also raced from a 30 roll and I walked away from him. Now he's got all kinds of mods in it and just dynoed 328 at the wheels and wants to do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by dipherentdesign
    sti will take the launch, they'll rev up to 6k drop the clutch and scream off the line like a bat out of hell...but that awd will fail around 40MPh mark and their shitty top end will be revealed when your ls1 hits 3rd and all 300 wheel hp kicks in to kill a 240 awhp.
    I'd have to agree with you to a point given the cars current mods. From a dig with a good launch the STI just GOES HARD. Attribute this to the STIs advanced AWD system, Close ratio gearing and low end-mid range turbo which hits boost very low in the RPM range. Now AWD is not full proof, if he bogs or doesn't launch high enough(4.5K rpm is just fine) you have a good change to match or beat him off the line. It's true top end power is not a strong point(Blame it on the relatively small quick spooling turbo), but still decent for an AWD car which looses more power to the wheels than 2 wheel drive cars. Simple bolt ons(Downpipe, ECU reflash and exhaust) really open up the top end even on the Stock Turbo. Stock STIs trap 101-104 in the 1/4 and they weigh about 32XX lbs. 0-60s are well into the 4's.

Depending how bad he get's you off the line you will be playing catch up and it may take some time. But as previoulsy stated it will be more like 60-70 mph or 3rd gear before you start to pull and it may not be enough for the 1/4 mark. I also agree the longer the race goes the more the advantage goes to the LS1.
    Last edited by garrettjj; 03-24-2006 at 03:59 PM.
    95 Supra TT 420rwhp
    05 STI Stage2

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by garrettjj
    0-60s are well into the 4's.
    I don't agree with that. I wouldn't think a stock STI would have a 0-60 much under five seconds if at all. AWD is good tho. A friend of mine raced one he thought he would lose to but ended up beating it. he has a 94 gt w/ LT, ORH, pulleys, etc. I think he said the STI was stock or maybe with a couple boltons.

kingls1
    STI will stomp a stock T/A.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1
    I don't agree with that. I wouldn't think a stock STI would have a 0-60 much under five seconds if at all. AWD is good tho. A friend of mine raced one he thought he would lose to but ended up beating it. he has a 94 gt w/ LT, ORH, pulleys, etc. I think he said the STI was stock or maybe with a couple boltons.
    4.5 0-60 and 13.0 1/4 @ 103 mph from last Test compared to the EVO in Motor Trend Magazine Jan 06.
    I collect mag reviews and 4.6-4.8 is the average. Highest I've seen is 5.1
    Last edited by garrettjj; 03-26-2006 at 05:00 PM.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

stock WS6 will eat an STI in the 1/4 mile... they run basically 13.5 stock...

my bud modded his exhaust and bought this expensive tuner computer... after that, he got it to 13 flat...

so yeah, basically, the STI will take you off the line, but the AWD is so parasitic, that after about 40mph, you will gain on him...

and if you put slicks on your T/A... you could probably even take him on the launch...

my friend has the '05 sti, and for them to even launch, they CANNOT have slicks... if it grabs too much, those cars will bog like hell... they have to drop the clutch at 3000-4000rpm to even get going...

but, even if the STI ate you in every race... you'd still own him in looks and cool-factor... I can't stand the way those econo-boxes look... ugh... and for the price, I think you could do better than an STI... but that's just me thinking out loud...

Baracus
    Good sum up.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

eh, just going by the stock 1/4 mile times... I'd say the ws6 would take the STI....

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information