Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

ls1 vs STI???

This is a discussion on ls1 vs STI??? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; my buddy recently traded his park bench wing for the more civil WRX wing... looks much better IMO also took ...

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

my buddy recently traded his park bench wing for the more civil WRX wing... looks much better IMO

also took off his STI badging so people will actually race him

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker
    13.3 != 13.1

I've heard of 13.3 before... never any lower... and almost no one actually gets those times stock... almost everyone at the track with an SS or WS6 was getting 13.6-14.3... the ones that were faster were typically older 4thgens that had obviously been modded.
    I averaged 13.3 but I did pull off a 13.1 one time stock but the average was 13.3 and after I put on a lid,catback,and bellow and ran consistant 13.0's and this is on stock tires and suspension. I could have hit 12's on dr's.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

I'm pretty sure with drs any ls1 can break 12s...

but you'll also break your rearend

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Been proven with a good driver any 6 speed LS1 F body will go 12s with Slicks, lid, and a cutout.

Junior Member Blue LS1 Trans Am's Avatar

Blue
    2000 Trans Am

Well really all the races that i have seen from sti's they are quick off the launch, but by third gear they loose power if they did not loose it before because they usually miss second, same happens to evo's they loose power by third gear, so I say a stock non WS.6 can take on an STI easily

BRIGHT RED
    2001 FIREHAWK T/A

Quote Originally Posted by garrettjj View Post
    Scrap, the top end does not "Fall apart" by 50 as you put it. Stock the STI can hit 103-104 traps. I have plenty of proof. LT1s trapped 98-99. LS1s 105-107. EVEN for being AWD they have decent top end, but it's nothing great.

I just pulled 4 mags from my archive and searched for some of the better results for both cars. These are repeated, achievable numbers.
    00 Pontiac Trans AM WS6:
    Price 32,090. 320HP 0-60 5.0 1/4 mile 13.5/107.4 Braking(60-0) 121ft Slalom 64.6mph

06 Subaru WRX STI
    Price 33,620 300HP 0-60 4.5 1/4 mile 13.0/103.3 Braking(60-0) 108ft Slalom 68.98mph .91g grip

The STI has a good .5 second lead ALL the way till the 1/4 mile mark. It's only at much higher speeds 100+ where the LS1 "Shines". Hey the LS1 is an awesome motor. No one is denying that, but you want to diminish the STIs capabilities and most is not true. The handling and braking numbers are substantially better. The whole price thing makes no sense. An optioned WS6 costs almost the same price..6 YEARS AGO!
    Ok, maybe the Trans am's are still pricey, but they are also the last of a long line of gm muscle cars. Lets see the price of and sti in 6 years. I highly doubt they will hold value. On the other hand, I think the sti is a cool car. "sorry ls-1 brothers", and it is a very practical car in various types of driving conditions. Conditions my firehawk will never be subjected to. If I was going to pick one I would gladly take a camaro or a trans am, but hey I wouldn't kick an awd 13. sec car to the curb as an every day driver!

Can't believe I haven't seen this thread.
    Me and my friend do this same thing too. I have an 02 trans am ws6. He has an 07 Wrx STi.Both of us have basically new cars. Mine had 22k his 19k on them. Stock vs stock. Both were M6's.

Off the linehe pulls a fender but the ls1 gets right back even. Basically dead even but I give him the win
    2nd, or 3rd gear (runs result the same): Third beep I pull easily a car and continue on to two cars by mid 3rd or 4th. Win to me easily.

I think this is as close as it gets to side by side comparison only thing is he won't give me the race videos because he's embarrassed lol.
    Our cars are no longer even. He has full exhaust and intake, and launch control. I have a lid. He wins on highway by a fender. I'm not impressed. That's my 50$ to his 2,000$. I'm happy.

I drove his car and the reason for the pull from the line is a dead giveaway. 1st gear pulls like a mofo! As soon as that turbo kicks you're haulin balls. Although the other gears have pull none are like the first.
    Last edited by garcia2002; 07-05-2009 at 09:41 PM.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by garcia2002 View Post
    Can't believe I haven't seen this thread.
    Me and my friend do this same thing too. I have an 02 trans am ws6. He has an 07 Wrx STi.Both of us have basically new cars. Mine had 22k his 19k on them. Stock vs stock. Both were M6's.

Off the linehe pulls a fender but the ls1 gets right back even. Basically dead even but I give him the win
    2nd, or 3rd gear (runs result the same): Third beep I pull easily a car and continue on to two cars by mid 3rd or 4th. Win to me easily.

I think this is as close as it gets to side by side comparison only thing is he won't give me the race videos because he's embarrassed lol.
    Our cars are no longer even. He has full exhaust and intake, and launch control. I have a lid. He wins on highway by a fender. I'm not impressed. That's my 50$ to his 2,000$. I'm happy.

I drove his car and the reason for the pull from the line is a dead giveaway. 1st gear pulls like a mofo! As soon as that turbo kicks you're haulin balls. Although the other gears have pull none are like the first.
    Maybe you hadn't seen it cuz its from 2006!

Machine Silver
    05 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    sti will take the launch, they'll rev up to 6k drop the clutch and scream off the line like a bat out of hell...but that awd will fail around 40MPh mark and their shitty top end will be revealed when your ls1 hits 3rd and all 300 wheel hp kicks in to kill a 240 awhp.
    I spend a lot of time at the track watching race after race and IF the sti driver launches the car well it will win a race against a stock or even slightly modded LS1. If they hit the right RPM at the launch the et is usually in the 12.8 13.0 range. I was at the track last week and saw a PT Cruiser eat up a TA, he ran two stages of nos, but whatever, his ride beat the hell out of the TA. To date I have seen two stiís launch at too high an RPM and blow the transmission.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by waldo View Post
    I spend a lot of time at the track watching race after race and IF the sti driver launches the car well it will win a race against a stock or even slightly modded LS1. If they hit the right RPM at the launch the et is usually in the 12.8 13.0 range. I was at the track last week and saw a PT Cruiser eat up a TA, he ran two stages of nos, but whatever, his ride beat the hell out of the TA. To date I have seen two sti’s launch at too high an RPM and blow the transmission.
    A stock STI wont hit 12.8s, low 13s have been done.

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

Machine Silver
    05 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    A stock STI wont hit 12.8s, low 13s have been done.
    the program on my Iphone says it will!

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by waldo View Post
    the program on my Iphone says it will!

Lol, k

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

No need in bringing this ancient thread back to life.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread Information