Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ls1 vs. Lt1

2002 Arctic White T/A Ws6islife's Avatar

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

Ls1 vs. Lt1

The good and the bad. I recently lost my t/a due to a wreck and careless driver. I owned a 02 t/a and I Amin the market for another one. I saw a very nice 96 trans am, hard top. Basically I want to know the good and the bad.

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Oh no not this dead horse again!
    For real though if you have already owned an LS1 I wouldn’t recommend an LT1. I’ve owned both and loved both but the LS1 is far superior in just about every way. Here are just a few of the many comparisons with the two…

LS1 F-body -vs- LT1 F-body
    Aluminum block - Cast iron block
    6 bolt main - 2 bolt main
    Coil on plug - POS optispark
    Belt driven water pump - Cam driven water pump
    Many swappable parts with other motors - Few swappable parts with other motors
    Pain in the ass to work on - Gigantic pain in the ass to work on
    Efficient conventional cooling - BS reverse flow cooling
    Two piston brakes with bigger rotors - One piston brakes with small rotors
    Huge aftermarket options - Decent aftermarket options
    Great styling - Good styling

Like I said these are just a few of the many differences. I would say that if you don’t care too much about performance, aren’t going to be doing much of the work on it yourself and like the styling of the LT1 car then go for it and scoop one up and you will be happy. On the other hand if you do care about those things then definitely go for the LS1 and save yourself many headaches. I really don’t want to knock LT1’s because they can be made very fast and be awesome cars but just from my experience the LS1 is the winner in just about every debate that can arise between the two. Good luck with your purchase and let us know what you decide.
    Last edited by BLK2KSS; 07-25-2011 at 12:54 AM.

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

I agree with BLK2KSS, I've owned/own an '87 350 TPI TA, '95 LT1 Z28, '98 LS1 TA and the LS1 is 2 steps up in performance to the LT1 across the board. LT1's have a number of common issues, most notably the optispark. The LS1 is going to be (about) 50-60hp better than the LT1 and still get better MPG, I (personally) don't know of any bolt on LT1's that can take a stock LS1, I'm not saying they are not out there or anything, I've just never seen it. The Lt1 is a good motor, but the LS1 is just better.

Anyway, in my opinion I won't own a LT1 again, just too expensive to build up a LT1 to be competative with a LS1, the aftermarket for LS1's is great. The only car I would consider getting with a LT1 would be an Impalla SS, always liked those cars and thats the only engine they came with, but I'd consider swapping in a LS motor if I had the $. Again I don't hate the Lt1's, I'm not bashing them, just such a step up to the LS1.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Agree with all above.

Op you also have other options LQ9, LS6 are pretty much plug and play with a tune. They use the same PCM and wire harness and a lot of them are available.

LQ9 is an iron block and if you are wanting to go force induction this would be the one to get. There are lots of trucks to get these from.
    LS6 just a better version and more hp then a LS1.

LTx family has had many issues. the most prominent one is the optispark and water pump. When either one goes you have a huge PITA job to fix. Get coolant on the optispark and your screwed, you have to do it all over again and may have to replace that new part. The were good in the power during their time, but compare to the LS family, it's like racing a Ford.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmX2 View Post
    I agree with BLK2KSS, I've owned/own an '87 350 TPI TA, '95 LT1 Z28, '98 LS1 TA and the LS1 is 2 steps up in performance to the LT1 across the board. LT1's have a number of common issues, most notably the optispark. The LS1 is going to be (about) 50-60hp better than the LT1 and still get better MPG, I (personally) don't know of any bolt on LT1's that can take a stock LS1, I'm not saying they are not out there or anything, I've just never seen it. The Lt1 is a good motor, but the LS1 is just better.

Anyway, in my opinion I won't own a LT1 again, just too expensive to build up a LT1 to be competative with a LS1, the aftermarket for LS1's is great. The only car I would consider getting with a LT1 would be an Impalla SS, always liked those cars and thats the only engine they came with, but I'd consider swapping in a LS motor if I had the $. Again I don't hate the Lt1's, I'm not bashing them, just such a step up to the LS1.
    Me too,I had an 1988 GTA L98 A4 a 1994 LT1 TA and now I have a 99 TA and would never go back to the previous 2.

If I were to go in a different diection it would be a C5/C6 Vette or a GTO or a G8 GXP

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by BLK2KSS View Post
    Oh no not this dead horse again!
    For real though if you have already owned an LS1 I wouldn’t recommend an LT1. I’ve owned both and loved both but the LS1 is far superior in just about every way. Here are just a few of the many comparisons with the two…

LS1 F-body -vs- LT1 F-body
    Aluminum block - Cast iron block
    6 bolt main - 2 bolt main
    Coil on plug - POS optispark
    Belt driven water pump - Cam driven water pump
    Many swappable parts with other motors - Few swappable parts with other motors
    Pain in the ass to work on - Gigantic pain in the ass to work on
    Efficient conventional cooling - BS reverse flow cooling
    Two piston brakes with bigger rotors - One piston brakes with small rotors
    Huge aftermarket options - Decent aftermarket options
    Great styling - Good styling

Like I said these are just a few of the many differences. I would say that if you don’t care too much about performance, aren’t going to be doing much of the work on it yourself and like the styling of the LT1 car then go for it and scoop one up and you will be happy. On the other hand if you do care about those things then definitely go for the LS1 and save yourself many headaches. I really don’t want to knock LT1’s because they can be made very fast and be awesome cars but just from my experience the LS1 is the winner in just about every debate that can arise between the two. Good luck with your purchase and let us know what you decide.
    BLK2KSS u really narrowed it down LoL!

Pewter Metallic

i agree with all of you guys,i had a LT1 T/A,i loved it,but will i ever buy another?? no indeed!!! im a LS1 guy 4 life,just keep
    searching WS6islife and im sure you'll find a decent LS1 Fbody for a good price,sometimes it takes a while,it took e a while to
    find the WS6 i have now,i just didn't want anything that was ragged out,so i took my time believe me i know where you're at,you get tired of waiting,but it will pay off in the end if you dont rush it,good luck hope you find a great car soon,plus i been seeing a few decent LS1 cars on Houston Craigslist lately

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

Yea I know. I'm really wanting to get in a hurry.

Pewter Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Ws6islife View Post
    Yea I know. I'm really wanting to get in a hurry.
    I sent you a pm of a few T/As in our area from Houston Craigslist

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

ive owned both....although the lt1 does not have any strong points over the ls1, i was happy with the car especially since i only paid $3k...but i love my 99 way more and make extra effort to take better care of it.

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

Im going to wait, I know I'll find the "right" one.

White
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Yep, just be patient. Are you limited to your area for a purchase?

White
    1998 Trans Am

Another thing you may want to look for is a LS1 Camaro depending on your tase. There are usually more V8 Camaro's for sale here than birds. I know my friend picked up a Z28 with a SS hood and wing for like $5k or so. Can check autotrader I found a few good Z28s and SS's back when I wanted a 6spd for a DD. I like the look of the Trans Am better personally but I would get a LS1 Camaro over a LT1 car. I do like a nice Vette also and prices have come down on them. Never been a GTO person but the G8 is nice.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

silver
    2000 formula

i LOVED the torque of my 89 IROC.......my 95 TA.......the power and TQ sucked green donkey balls......my LS1......much better

Blue
    2002-WS6

well i've had a few f-bodys over the years, the 95 T/A i had was a great car, 6 speed, t -tops posi....you know the whole nine yards, wasted many a mustang in that car, had full bolt ons and kept up with a few LS1 cars, i had it for 3 years and put 3 optisparks on it and 2 water pumps , 3 coils, 2 icm's and 3 sets of 02 sensors. i like my 02 ws6 much much better.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

POS opti is understatment.

I've helped a friend change his twice. His cammed/head/geared 94 is faster than my '01 LS1, when it's actually running.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I've owned both as well. Bought a 96 Z28 vert as a new car and traded it in on a 2002 Z28. That right there should tell you something.

That you even have to ask makes me question your sanity...

Pewter Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I've owned both as well. Bought a 96 Z28 vert as a new car and traded it in on a 2002 Z28. That right there should tell you something.

That you even have to ask makes me question your sanity...
    LoL!

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

i love how you guys rag on OPTI cars... they really are not that bad... most people that take care of them, install them CORRECTLY and don't buy crap aftermarket units get over 70k on the opti which really isn't bad at all. is it a perfect system? no, but it is not anywhere near as bad as some make it out to be. as with anything on the net, only people that bitch about an issue are the ones posting! nobody ever just makes a thread that tells how they have no issues with something.

i have had 2 LT1 cars and 1 LS1. not really much of a difference.

good luck with your search, take your time and get what YOU want.

Quote Originally Posted by krese View Post
    i have had 2 LT1 cars and 1 LS1. not really much of a difference.

good luck with your search, take your time and get what YOU want.
    I've owned 2 stock and I modified both. One lt1 one ls1 the ls1 crushed the lt1?

Thread Information