Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    99 Pontiac Trans Am #2466

Question LS1 Trans Am vs. Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8

So I was cruisin down I-55 when I saw this Jeep ridin my ass in my rear view so I decided to gas it a little to create some space. Well...this guy pulled on my right and began to accelerate slightly past me and I could hear the deep throttle on it. So I punched it on my lil v6 grand am gt and started waivin peace in my rear view and suddenly I hear a monster throttle and this guy roars past me as if I were sittin still. Needless to say that I wasn't embarassed cuz I knew what I was up against, but I thought that if I had a Trans Am v8 I'd have had a fighting chance if not beaten him. I checked the specs on the srt-8 and it pushes a wopping 420hp!!! My question is if the srt-8 is faster than the ls1.....why buy a trans am?

Arctic White
    2000 Trans Am WS6

People dont buy TAs because they are the fastest cars in the world. Everybody that buys a TA knows that performance mods will be in their near future. Its all about what you want. No disrespect to you but why come onto a LS1 website and degrade them like that. If you want a SRT Im sure there are sites on the net that would be more than happy to listen to you talk shit about F bodys. Im not trying to be rude. Sorry if I seem that way.

MRM
    2002 T/A M6

The 420hp rating is totally to the crank. Same goes with the Charger/Challenger. Nice cars but they are over-weight and with the cherokee all that power has to be feed threw a 4x4 transfer case and large heavy tire/rims. So all in all, a LS1 would have its way with that.
    3" MagnaFlow CatBack w/Corsa (clone)Tips, Lloyds Custom Floor Mats, SLP Lid, Pro 5.0 W/ Lou's SS, 7.5" Eaton Locker w/3.73, KYB AGX, BMR LCA's, FRA, SSE, 5% Tint, 18x9 C5 Rims w/Falken 452

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Come on now. You have to realize that most of our cars with LS1s are now 6 or more years old now. They are starting to get out dated and they are now starting to get pretty deep into miles. When they were new mostly anything that they ran across could be whooped up on by them, now its 2008 and alot of cars are starting to push the same kinda numbers that our cars pushed new, so of coarse you are going to run into something now that is just as fast or faster than a stock LS1. Its just the way it is.

Still I would own a TA over any other car, thats why I own one. Love the body style, and motor and pretty much everthing about the car. Its a Fbody, you can make it just as fast as anything as long as you want to spend the $$$.

Besides that just cause the stats on the car say that it is running 420hp doesnt mean it does, and even with 420hp it still weights around 4200lbs or so, so its not as fast as they want you to think it is. Just because a car has the same amout of or more HP doesnt mean its faster, and if you look up the stats for 0-60, 60-100 and 1/4 mile times I bet they arent much if any faster than an F-body.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by xzaero0 View Post
    Besides that just cause the stats on the car say that it is running 420hp doesnt mean it does, and even with 420hp it still weights around 4200lbs or so, so its not as fast as they want you to think it is. Just because a car has the same amout of or more HP doesnt mean its faster, and if you look up the stats for 0-60, 60-100 and 1/4 mile times I bet they arent much if any faster than an F-body.
    on those Stats... well... the Quarter Mile time atleast... is anywhere from 13.2 to 13.5 so they are well in with our cars... things is that the AWD helps it alot... I've personally raced one... I got Intake and Exhaust and an Auto... and from a dig they are beasts... from a roll you can tell that they are big heavy Mofo's... and with money they can be 500whp Monster SUV's... so they ain't that bad... but their 10mpg fuel millage is...

White

Quote Originally Posted by dphillips1984 View Post
    People dont buy TAs because they are the fastest cars in the world. Everybody that buys a TA knows that performance mods will be in their near future. Its all about what you want. No disrespect to you but why come onto a LS1 website and degrade them like that. If you want a SRT Im sure there are sites on the net that would be more than happy to listen to you talk shit about F bodys. Im not trying to be rude. Sorry if I seem that way.
    That is exactly the way you came across...rude. Don't get me wrong, but I came to this website because I love the car and would like to own one. I know the LS1 is bout 10 years old, but it holds up well and is still american muscle. Would I like to own an SRT....sure, but not that one with the gas mileage on that thing. Constructive input was the only thing that I was looking for, which you had goin for you, up 'til the point where you thought I was dissin an LS1. Seach my post and you will never find that one of them disses the F-Body.

So far the input has been good and I am sure that someone can or has equaled or passed the power of an SRT-8 for far less than the price.
    Last edited by Mieux97; 08-11-2008 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Addition

Pewter
    2001 TA WS6 M6

From a dig it would pull on you initially with that AWD. It is a bad SUV as it hits 60 in under 5 from the factory. Only that and the Typhoon if I am not mistaken are the only "US" SUVs to do this.

White
    1999 SS

here's my experience, I now have nice sticky tires though!
    these things launch, thats for sure
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...ght=srt8+grand

silver
    1999 Trans am Ws6

ive beaten one from a roll got him by a length

NBM
    02 M6 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Mieux97 View Post
    So I punched it on my lil v6 grand am gt
    huh?

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

The SRT8 GC is on my shopping list. That's a nice SUV.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am #693

SRT-8 GC's are nice, but if I want power then I don't want an SUV for it. Rather have a nice solid car like mine in my opinion for that. Even though are cars might be older then the newer ones still doesn't leave out the fact that if you want to beat one all you have to do is mod. Yes, I could have waited out and bought a new Camaro if I wanted to, or even the SRT-8 Challengers are nice, but I didn't..fell in love with the curves and pedigree my TA already had from the start. Some people don't like the look of my car...others can't drive them for shit and don't buy them for that reason alone...whichever the case, doesn't matter to me. Fact still remains that I knew I always wanted one, bought it, and haven't regretted it at all. There is always going to be someone faster out there through the advancement of technology especially todays cars are going to have better options then we didn't have before it. But I still love my car, and can always option to have more mods done if I wanted. But obviously for that your going to need money for them. ...just my .02

White
    1999 SS

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakiller99 View Post
    ive beaten one from a roll got him by a length
    how fast of a roll, M6?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Saw one at the track, ran a 13.0 or a 13.1 I believe. Stock for stock pretty well matched against a bone stock f bod.

White

Quote Originally Posted by DUBB View Post
    huh?

Yeah, I know I was askin for it.

White

Quote Originally Posted by Cronex View Post
    SRT-8 GC's are nice, but if I want power then I don't want an SUV for it. Rather have a nice solid car like mine in my opinion for that. Even though are cars might be older then the newer ones still doesn't leave out the fact that if you want to beat one all you have to do is mod. Yes, I could have waited out and bought a new Camaro if I wanted to, or even the SRT-8 Challengers are nice, but I didn't..fell in love with the curves and pedigree my TA already had from the start. Some people don't like the look of my car...others can't drive them for shit and don't buy them for that reason alone...whichever the case, doesn't matter to me. Fact still remains that I knew I always wanted one, bought it, and haven't regretted it at all. There is always going to be someone faster out there through the advancement of technology especially todays cars are going to have better options then we didn't have before it. But I still love my car, and can always option to have more mods done if I wanted. But obviously for that your going to need money for them. ...just my .02
    No doubt about that....I gotta agree that mods could up the HP a lot cheaper than getting a newer vehicle if you already own one.

silver
    1999 Trans am Ws6

a4, 25 roll.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by Cronex View Post
    I'm looking at the GC SRT8 as an grocery getter hauling kids around winter vehicle. I'd never compare one to a car by any means. That's just a ridiculous idea, but some may not think so. I'd compare it to a TB SS and think it's better than that though.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am #693

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    I'm looking at the GC SRT8 as an grocery getter hauling kids around winter vehicle. I'd never compare one to a car by any means. That's just a ridiculous idea, but some may not think so. I'd compare it to a TB SS and think it's better than that though.

I wouldn't call it ridiculous to compare it to a car, its just not my style. If it was my style then I'd know that even if I did have an SUV I could still performance it out to the goals I'd want it to be at. Hell, there is an 80's Volvo wagon down here with an LS1 dropped in it, not that im happy per say about that just like I despise seeing RX-7's, Evo's and Honda's with LS1's in them but it runs 10's and the dude knows how to handle it well..all depends on how deep your pockets are (..well, and car knowledge / track or drag racing experience helps too.). SRT-8 GC's should be fast, they are built for SUV performance enthusiasts that also want the luxury of as you said picking up kids, getting groceries, or having it for the winter, i'm just not one of them and would never care to buy one unfortunately for Dodge. If I wanted it for them purposes then I'd just go buy either a Suburban, older GC, or Trail Blazer. The extra horses it has could be good or bad in the winter time depending on how you drive it, of which your going to have to wait till winter time to find that out just like all other SUV owners.

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

Quote Originally Posted by Mieux97 View Post
    So I was cruisin down I-55 when I saw this Jeep ridin my ass in my rear view so I decided to gas it a little to create some space. Well...this guy pulled on my right and began to accelerate slightly past me and I could hear the deep throttle on it. So I punched it on my lil v6 grand am gt and started waivin peace in my rear view and suddenly I hear a monster throttle and this guy roars past me as if I were sittin still. Needless to say that I wasn't embarassed cuz I knew what I was up against, but I thought that if I had a Trans Am v8 I'd have had a fighting chance if not beaten him. I checked the specs on the srt-8 and it pushes a wopping 420hp!!! My question is if the srt-8 is faster than the ls1.....why buy a trans am?
    Cause everyone has their preferance. Just becasue the srt-8 is pushing 420 doesn't mean that the the car is faster. Meaning that Jeep weighs more that a LS1 therefore making up the difference of power. If the only point was to go fast then we would need F1 cars. Only reason that you thought he was going hella fast is becasue your in a Grand Am v6....not to knock them but thats why.
    Last edited by SAGGIN; 08-13-2008 at 09:56 AM.

Thread Information