black
    98 SS

Looking For Some Input Onbuilding A Ws6

I purchased 2 WS6 cars from an insurance company. One is a theft recovered 2002 covertible that was stripped of its drivetrain. The other is a 2000 WS6 with front damage and a junked title. The convertible was auto. The donor car has the 6 speed. Has anyone swapped out their auto for the 6 speed that could give some advice I might need for the swap ?

Pewter Metallic (1of?)
    2001 Formula M6(1 of 225)

You will also have to swap out the PCM's (auto and 6spd have different PCM) of the two vehicles, since this is kind of a ground up build, what kind of budget are you going to try and stay in?

black
    98 SS

I kind of went over my budget on buying the two cars,so everything will probaly remain stock. I also have a theft recovered 98 SS and a theft recovered 99 Trans Am convertible with both drivetrains gone I am putting together and if that is not enough I have a wrecked 94 Z28 with an excellent running LT1 and 6 speed with 40K miles that I am going to transplant into a 95 camaro convertible that is a 3.4 with 5 speed. TOO MANY PROJECTS !!!!!!

Red
    '02 WS6

how 'bout some before and after pics, this sounds interesting. keep us up to date.

dude, I dont know what you paid but I would I would bet you paid more for thoes two cars than for one stock car that is in working great condition plus all of you're time you are goind to put in it. I paid 8000 for a 25000 mile hugger orange camaro z28 to give you an ideal on what to try and stay under witch id imagine it would be hard to do.

black
    98 SS

I have 6000 in the 2 cars ,convertible had 20K miles ,the donor car has 15K miles. The only things I need to buy are the hood and headlights. I doubt I could buy a 2002 vert WS6 anywhere near that price,especially with those miles. Not to mention a lot of parts left over from the other WS6. Can anyone recommend an aftermarket hood that fits decent.

If you did all the work you'r self and bargon shop everything you are going to have atleast 10000 in the cars plus i dont think you realize how much work you are geting into. Any way the best place for hoods is ebay but most aftermarket hoods fit really bad.

Pewter
    '07 Silverado

I don't know why everyone keeps dissing the idea; sounds like fun to me. If you have two donors and there's at least one of everythng you need then there shouldn't be much other parts to buy, maybe gasgets, etc. Plus what you don't need you could part out to make up some $$$. Good luck and keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by imflyn View Post
    I don't know why everyone keeps dissing the idea; sounds like fun to me. If you have two donors and there's at least one of everythng you need then there shouldn't be much other parts to buy, maybe gasgets, etc. Plus what you don't need you could part out to make up some $$$. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Sorry for dissing the idea. I have been through this before and most of the time it takes way more money than whats its worth and takes alot of time. Then after you are done you have alot of problems and the car is unreliable and then you end up selling it and loosing a tun of money. I was just trying to help you out. I guess if you are very good at this kind of thing go for it.

black
    98 SS

The last theft recovery I put together was a 98 Z28 with 53K miles. I ended up with 5100 in that one and that was hiring the motor ,trans, and wiring done and then I finished it up. I could have spent a lot less on my donor car, but you just cant find these cars with 15K miles everyday. Its a shame to part out the parts car, but the insurance co. junked the title. Its a sharp looking car- black on black with the polished 17s. Underneath the car it looks brand new. No rust , leaks or road grime. I just bought a 2001 wrecked Z28 with the LS1 and auto with 90K miles the other day. I could put that drivetrain in the convertible and have about 3000 less in the final project. I would ony be short of the wiring. It would be easier because the project car also had an auto. I have had interest in my 15K drivetrain but I am not sure which way I will go. I have worked on a lot of F-bodies but I have never switched an auto to a 6 speed. Is it that big of deal ?

Thread Information