Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2002 M6 WS6

Looking for shifter opinions.

So my WS6 came with the hurst shifter and today im ordering the ws6store short stick. I recently came upon a factory shifter for the TKO 600 as well. Now the stock stick doesnt fit on the tko but i was wondering, when i get this short stick, should i just use the factory shifter or should(or even can i) use this tko 600. Does anyone have any experience with it? Is it an upgrade in any way? Just curious if i should use it or sell it.
    2002 Black/Ebony M6 WS6: Lid, Filter, Smooth Bellow, P&P TB (!Bump Stop), Magnaflow Cat-Back (dumped after the axle), 4.10s, Hypertech ME Tune, eibach springs 4/4, LCA relocating brackets, PHB, free mods, 17" TTMs.

Yes.
    bunch of them

Nope. Buy a Pro 5.0 and a LSS. You'll never regret it.

Black
    2002 M6 WS6

"nope" to what exactly? Ill get a pro 5.0 eventually but until i have the extra cash, my question stands. Does anyone know mucj about it? The TKO shifter i mean?

Yes.
    bunch of them

Don't waste your money on a short stick, and as well as I recall, the 600 Plate won't seal properly to the T56. You want a Pro 5.0 and LSS, you will thank me later. They are an amazing combo.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Pro 5.0 & LSS here too....

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Don't know about the TKO but you should be fine with a short stick on your stock shifter. I highly advise not slamming gears with it though, your stock shifter has no stops to keep you from overshifting causing internal damage to your transmission. I highly recommend saving up for an aftermarket shifter suck as a pro 5.0, MGW, hurst billet, etc.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

The Pro 5.0 is the only shifter you want for the T-56. You can pay them now or pay them later but you will end up with a Pro 5.0 Remember you get what you pay for. Go cheap and you will end up with
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Navy Blue Metallic/Black
    02 camaro z28/01 wife t/a

i had the hurst, b&m,and slp shifter with umi stick, personally i love my slp but im not sure if they still make it.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I do agree with the rest, you need to go a new route with the shifter.

However, I disagree with this;
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    The Pro 5.0 is the only shifter you want for the T-56.
    The pro is the most popular product for the t56, however that doesn't make it the best quality product.

Another option is the MGW.
    A few differences between the two that aren't subjective:
    1. The pro has adjustable bum stops, the MGW doesn't
    2. MGW has an adjustable short stick, the pro doesn't
    3. More people have gone from pro to MGW and are happier with the MGW
    4. The pro is sligtly cheaper than the MGW
    5. MGW provides new bolts w/locking washers, a tube rtv silicon and a hex wrench. (I'm not sure what comes with the PRO)

I chose the MGW because of #3 and they claimed to have the shortest throw on the market. I would have listed that above but, I don't know it to be true when comparing the shifters at the same height. But since the MGW can be adjusted, it can be shorter than lous short stick (lss).

Here's the link so you can see both shifters being installed; http://www.ls1.com/forums/f65/how-ch...hifter-159249/

Wether you go with the PRO or the MGW, its a better choice than your current setup.
    Last edited by KMdef9; 04-18-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Yes.
    bunch of them

I've got zero experience with the MGW, so I can't say either way. I do know however, if the throw was any shorter on my 5.0/LSS combo, I'd have to remove the console.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    I do agree with the rest, you need to go a new route with the shifter.

However, I disagree with this;

The pro is the most popular product for the t56, however that doesn't make it the best quality product.

Another option is the MGW.
    A few differences between the two that aren't subjective:
    1. The pro has adjustable bum stops, the MGW doesn't
    2. MGW has an adjustable short stick, the pro doesn't
    3. More people have gone from pro to MGW and are happier with the MGW
    4. The pro is sligtly cheaper than the MGW
    5. MGW provides new bolts w/locking washers, a tube rtv silicon and a hex wrench. (I'm not sure what comes with the PRO)

I chose the MGW because of #3 and they claimed to have the shortest throw on the market. I would have listed that above but, I don't know it to be true when comparing the shifters at the same height. But since the MGW can be adjusted, it can be shorter than lous short stick (lss).

Here's the link so you can see both shifters being installed; http://www.ls1.com/forums/f65/how-ch...hifter-159249/

Wether you go with the PRO or the MGW, its a better choice than your current setup.
    Nice, You like the MGW and I like the Pro 5.0 I is just a matter of choice. The Pro 5.0 is much more popular for a reason. Because it works. Sorry, but I am not going to spend 250.00 for a tube of rtv and a hex key.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    Nice, You like the MGW and I like the Pro 5.0 I is just a matter of choice. The Pro 5.0 is much more popular for a reason. Because it works. Sorry, but I am not going to spend 250.00 for a tube of rtv and a hex key.
    Once again, because it sells the most, doesn't necessarily make it the highest in quality nor the best shifter for the OP. I didn't say the MGW is HIGHER either, I just listed facts about both for OP. Then told him why I chose the MGW. If he wants to chose the pro because its the number one selling shifter, like 99 % of PRO purchasers, then there's nothing wrong with that.

And its 210. I did point out that it costs more and potentially why it costs more. That may not be worth the price difference to some, but I wanted him to know that there's more options.
    Last edited by KMdef9; 04-19-2012 at 05:55 AM.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

How long the stick is and how long the throws are are two different things. its kind of hard to believe how short the shifts are with an mgw. Nobody is arguing that the pro 5.0 isn't a good shifter, but to call it the best is just a biased opinion. I will also add that the pro 5.0 came out way before the mgw which most likely explains it's popularity so to call it the best because its widely used doesn't make much sense imo

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

OP what the last few post are trying to say without going into a flame war is that both are good options. It comes down to what choice you like and are willing to pay.

Black
    2002 M6 WS6

I hear ya. Basically i knew a pro 5.0 or different AM shifter is ideal i just didnt have the money to get one atm. I figured $20 to make my factory shifter better (for the time being) was a good idea. Its a DD. Not a track car. I was more concerned with the TKO 600 shifter info. If its not useable on the T-56 or isnt better then ill just sell it. Anyone want it? Or doesnt anyone have any info/advice about it? Again, not aaking if its better than MGW or whatever. Simply trying to make the best out of what i have.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Its not just for track purposes, its better on your gear box. Its a good mod for your DD.

I don't know about that other aftermarket shifter.
    Last edited by KMdef9; 04-19-2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: derr

Black
    2002 M6 WS6

There is a bump stoP mod for the factory shifter? And i understand its benefits man. Trust me, when i get the spare money ill get it lol.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

No. Sorry. I don't know where my head was at on that one.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I went the Lou's Short Stick route initially and I still had issues with the transmission. I still had to have a few rebuilds (under warranty) and replace my clutch and hydraulics, along with the drill mod to cure my problems. I eventually got the Hurst Billet/Plus shifter and the LSS that fit it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    2000 T/A-DMH Cutout, SLP Cold Air kit, FTRA/SLP Upgrade, SLP Bilstein, LT1 Eibach ProKit, Kuhmo PA31 Tires ,SLP Fan Switch, UMI Double Adj PHB w/ Roto-Joints, UMI LCARB, Strano 35/22mm Sway Bars , Magnecor KV85 Wires, Hurst Shifter, Lou's Short Stick.

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

i run the hurst billet in mine. Not a fan of short stick shifters at all. Buddy of mine had one in his TA and getting in reverse was too much of a pain in the ass IMO.

Thread Information