black
    99 trans am

looking for hp answers :)

Hello all

I've had my trans am about 3 years now (99' WS6 black on gray/black 6 speed) and have loved every minute of it. I recently was handed my ass by an 03 or 04 supercharged cobra and decided I might need a little more umph. I don't know a whole lot about cars which is really sad, but I'm learning and I'm very interested. Any advice on some cheap QUALITY horsepower would be much appreciated. My car is stock other than 60 series flowmaster exhaust, and from what I've read on these forums cams, and headers sound like my next move. Help please

Pewter
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

If it was my car I would get the basic induction mods, headers (L/T), ORY, cam (depends on you), and a gear (4.10). Get it tuned and go kick his a$$
    2001 Pewter WS6 M6
    Borla, some induction mods, a little bit of this and a pinch of that, 2 Hookers, and a pipe.....

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2151616

black
    2000 trans am ws6

the best part is that after you do some minor things with our cars, you can beat a mustang with a supercharger haha

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

I started with an aftermarket air lid and k+n air filter, ported throttle body, Long tube headers and exhaust. I believe if I got a dyno tune I would be close to 340-350 at the rear. My next power mods will be heads, cam and intake.

To Fast For Your Crap. LS1_WS6_TransAm's Avatar

RED With Flames
    1998 Pontiac TA

hmm.. I raced a 05 Mustang Cobra in my 98 Trans Am [Stock; except for the SLP air intake and the exaust and Corvette ZR1 tires] And I whipped its ass....But yeah the cams and the headers are, in my personal opinion, your best bet.

RED With Flames
    1998 Pontiac TA

Maybe get a 3000 RPM stall converter as well.

black
    2000 trans am ws6

the 03 cobra is the fastest in my opinion. gotta watch out for them.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by LS1_WS6_TransAm View Post
    hmm.. I raced a 05 Mustang Cobra in my 98 Trans Am [Stock; except for the SLP air intake and the exaust and Corvette ZR1 tires] And I whipped its ass....But yeah the cams and the headers are, in my personal opinion, your best bet.
    There is no 05 cobra...there's a 06 shelby gt500 and it would hand you your ass stock

Pewter
    1999 TA M6

yeah there is not an 05 cobra, it was probobly just a GT or a V6.
    99 Trans Am M6
    SLP lid/FRA/TBB/Comp 224/224 581/581 112LSA
    Comp 918s/Comp PRs/Hedman TorkStep LTs
    Custom Y/Exhaust/Pro 5.0

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

It might have been an 04 cobra. Was it the new or the old body style???

Intake and exhaust are good starters. If you arent concerned about emissions, remove the EGR and the air pump. The EGR puts exhaust air into the intake (to burn the unused fuel). So your fuel economy will go down. Also, if you have a dremmel, you can cut your intake box. The bottom portion of it blocks air coming from the radiator area. This will allow your engine to breath better as well. You can do it yourself at home for free. SLP makes a smooth bellows kit that will help unleash some power too.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

Maybe get a 3000 RPM stall converter as well.
    he has a 6-speed.

black
    2000 trans am ws6

umm just some info.. i saw in a mag that the new shelby cobra isnt all its cracked up to be. and i think the car he was refurring to was possibly this?
    2007 Ford Mustang Shelby GT-H 5.3 13.9

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by jwindbigler View Post

Intake and exhaust are good starters. If you arent concerned about emissions, remove the EGR and the air pump. The EGR puts exhaust air into the intake (to burn the unused fuel). So your fuel economy will go down. Also, if you have a dremmel, you can cut your intake box. The bottom portion of it blocks air coming from the radiator area. This will allow your engine to breath better as well. You can do it yourself at home for free. SLP makes a smooth bellows kit that will help unleash some power too.

Check out the link for instruction on how to do the mods yourself and a couple other things as well

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

For the plates that you will need to block off the air pump and the EGR goto one of our sponsors they are cheap. I went with WS6project for everything except for the intake manifold plate which weren't sold there so i had to goto thunder racing for it. if you want to keep it California emission legal just do the EGR mod in the link.

RED With Flames
    1998 Pontiac TA

No I was referring to a 06.. a simple type o... and I didnt see that he had a 6-speed. I was skimming. I dont think the person in the Mustang was driving it the way he sould have to have been racing. But Even still It was just for all fun and games there was not anything to it what so ever. and I would like to be called a girl.. not a male since I am female. thanks

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

No I was referring to a 06.. a simple type o... and I didnt see that he had a 6-speed. I was skimming. I dont think the person in the Mustang was driving it the way he sould have to have been racing. But Even still It was just for all fun and games there was not anything to it what so ever. and I would like to be called a girl.. not a male since I am female. thanks
    Want to be in the calander?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by jwindbigler View Post

egr doesn't burn unused fuel. it just recirculates a lil exhuast gas. it helps reduce oxides of nitrogen,it dilutes the a/f mixture. it cools down the chamber's temp thus bring down emissions that might be what you ment but i wasn't sure

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

buddy before you get heads and cam. get headers, a lid, a ls6 intake manifold, ported STOCK maf (stock maf can handle enough air for up to 500hp). and SFC(sub frame connectors) what alot of people forget is that a good suspension will let you use all of your hp/ tq (hp sells cars..torque wins races). so i think SFC and a torque arm would do you great. so in order lid, SFC, ls6 intake manifold, headers, tq arm, ported MAF and then H/C. you could throw a light weight underdrive pulley in there too

Thread Information