looking for hp answers :)

This is a discussion on looking for hp answers :) within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Hello all I've had my trans am about 3 years now (99' WS6 black on gray/black 6 speed) and have ...

black
    99 trans am

looking for hp answers :)

Hello all

I've had my trans am about 3 years now (99' WS6 black on gray/black 6 speed) and have loved every minute of it. I recently was handed my ass by an 03 or 04 supercharged cobra and decided I might need a little more umph. I don't know a whole lot about cars which is really sad, but I'm learning and I'm very interested. Any advice on some cheap QUALITY horsepower would be much appreciated. My car is stock other than 60 series flowmaster exhaust, and from what I've read on these forums cams, and headers sound like my next move. Help please

2000pontiac6
    How much are you willing to spend?

black
    99 trans am

well I have 6 in the bank but prolly not all for the car

black
    99 trans am

realistically I would do 3500 to 4 but I want to get the most out of my money.

EDIT: As everyone does lol! Any suggestions?

black
    99 trans am

New to the site....... Why is my post not staying in the new posts forum section. Am I doing something wrong?

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

Well i just found your post in the "new posts" area.

As for your want for more HP..... What are you wanting todo. strickly bolt ons or are you wanting to go all out and get down an dirty into the engine. As for you being new to the whole car scene.... I am guessing that you won't being doing the work yourself so you need to factor that into the cost of your work as well. if you do end up doing the work yourself then you can get more stuff. Bolts on can be done by almost anyone i think and if you can't do it then depending on your area you should be able to get someone to help you out for FREE.

The biggest basic bolt on and one of the best bangs for your bucks would be a set of long tube headers. you also want to look into a K&N air filter and if you are not ram air a new lid and smoth flow bellows. if your looking in the 3500-4k area you could also get a new cam and get your heads ported and polished.

Lets see here... For your price range and assuming you got the work done yourself.... You should be able to get a mild port and polish job(with port matching) a CheaTR (TR capitalized on purpose) cam kit(will include new pushrods springs and retainers; intake lid; headers exhaust; catback set-up; and a BBK 85mm intake and throttlebody. That's a good start there. off the top of my head i think you will have about 800 left over. with that money you could beef up the body of the car. myself i would get new lower control arms; tower brace. also looking into a new MAF and a short throw shifter.

Well that's about what i would get and i think if you shop around and ge the good deals you should be able to get it all for that amount.

I am sure that others will ahve differant opinions on what to get but this should get you a general idea to get you going.

Pewter
    2000 WS6 A4

Just an idea, but how 'bout a Squire Turbo System??? Full bolt on kit for about 4K, and you could probably do the install yourself.

black
    99 trans am

thanks for the help PHLASH ...... Some definite things to consider. I just want to pick up horsepower. It doesn't matter how I do it I'm not glued to bolt on's and I don't even really have a plan at this point in time. I do have the ram air pkg... also I already have a short throw shifter (I just got it), and your are absolutely right on the labor side of it. I usually have to pay someone to do the work for me, which really sucks considering it costs me $85.00 an hour for my car just to sit inside a shop, but that's life. Any recommendations on the brand of long tube headers and where a good place to purchase them would be. Usually my shopping consists of ebay so it is fairly limited and since I don't know a lot about cars I could be getting raped and not even know it. So, what's a good price for the items that you listed and where can I expand my range of looking to buy the parts?

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

Right now I will just reply for the headers..
    As far as those are consernd you have a WIDe varity of makes and models that range from about 290- 1100 smackers.
    If you are doing your shopping on ebay there is a set of LT(long Tube) headers for sale for 290-299. I can't say wether they are good or not from personal experiance but there is a big post on this forums somewhere about them and aparently they are pretty good as far as performance. The draw back to them is that you don't get a ceramic caoting on them/not made of stainless steel so thier logevity is reduced. That being said. they will function just fine for long time they will just rust faster than ones that are made that way. I myself will be getting a set of those in the near future so I would recommend them to you as well. They get the job done just as good at a fraction of the cost. Lots of people say you get what you pay for but lets face it they work just as good. and even the high quality ones will loose thier looks over time too. so unless you are going to take your car to shows i wouldn't worry about appearace too much. Once i get mine i am going to high temp powder coat mine blue to match the engine bay color scheme i am looking for.

Here's the link for you:
    ebay headers

You can see towards the end of this thread that someone has them and no issues really with them and since you are probably going to have them installed then the minor issues that you could have with them won't casue you personally any issues at all.

Also another link to read:
    **read Me Before Asking... The Exhaust System**

This is a GREAT beginners link to get you going. It is where i started when i was first learning all about this stuff so it is a definate recommend read.

Both those links will provide good info and insight to the headers. so be sure to read them a couple times. Ask questions in them. Ask more questions. Then ask some more. I did...
    Also check out the location specific topic area I am sure there is someone there that could help you install them if you wanted to save a couple bucks and more than likely it would only cost you a pizza and sodas.

I'll get back to you later on the rest of the stuff but this should get you going on the headers for right now.

black
    99 trans am

I appreciate the help good links

Thread Information