Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking to buy an LS1 Trans am, few questions!

Hey guys my name is casey.
    i currently have a 79, that i want to sell because i want something that can make some more power

so i have been looking at 98-02 trans ams....
    either WS6 or formula

just wondering if there is anything spacific that i should look at when looking that these years?

any help would be every greatful!!!
    thanks guys

-Casey

White
    99 Pontiac Trans Am #2466

An '01-'02 WS6 would be best. After that then whatever your dollar affords you

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

The 6 speed manuals are pretty strong and its easy to tell if a manual is going since your shifting it. If you want an auto pay clsoe attention to how the tranny shifts and acts during acceleration. The rear end in these cars is the real weak point. Listen for noises from that area. These cars do have some rattling, a nice pair of sub frame connectors can help with that. Check to see if the window motors are slow, that means they will need to be replaced eventually, not a fun job but can be done cheaply. Head light motors will make a grinding noise after you fold them down for a couple seconds if the gears are starting to go.

01-02 doesnt really make a difference, it has the ls6 intake manifold but a smaller cam than the earlier years so it almost evens it out with a slight advantage for the 01-02. I always like to look for cars with 241 casting heads.

Have fun and good luck

yea the headlight motors is one thing i was worrying about. thanks for the help, i will keep an ear out for the rear end and lights. anything else that i should check?

no more info for the newby?! lol

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by 09turbo View Post
    no more info for the newby?! lol
    Look at it like you would any car. All we can do is tell you common problems, which i did. Tranny if its an auto with some mielage on it, rear end is just weak. The headlight and window motors. The ls1 engine itself is very strong and with proper maintanence can run strong for 300kmiles and still make great power.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Look at it like you would any car. All we can do is tell you common problems, which i did. Tranny if its an auto with some mielage on it, rear end is just weak. The headlight and window motors. The ls1 engine itself is very strong and with proper maintanence can run strong for 300kmiles and still make great power.
    i was just asking if anyone else knew of other things to look at in particular. your info was very helpful.

White/Blue
    99 Trans Am

Check the inside tops of the door panels, alot of them crack. if not you can stop it before it happens.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by anniversary30 View Post
    Check the inside tops of the door panels, alot of them crack. if not you can stop it before it happens.
    how do you stop it? mine is 9 years old and no cracks as of yet, knock on wood........

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    The 6 speed manuals are pretty strong and its easy to tell if a manual is going since your shifting it. If you want an auto pay clsoe attention to how the tranny shifts and acts during acceleration. The rear end in these cars is the real weak point. Listen for noises from that area. These cars do have some rattling, a nice pair of sub frame connectors can help with that. Check to see if the window motors are slow, that means they will need to be replaced eventually, not a fun job but can be done cheaply. Head light motors will make a grinding noise after you fold them down for a couple seconds if the gears are starting to go.

01-02 doesnt really make a difference, it has the ls6 intake manifold but a smaller cam than the earlier years so it almost evens it out with a slight advantage for the 01-02. I always like to look for cars with 241 casting heads.

Have fun and good luck
    ^^^Great advice here. One more thing you will LOVE, when you get the one you want, is the power, braking/handling ability, no overheating! I had a 1967 400 4-speed Firebird for 11 years, sold it in 2000. Bought my first LS1 car, a '98 automatic with 2.73 gears. It ran 95% as fast as the '67 did, and almost triple the MPG. Now, the WS6, 6-speed, is way faster, it ran 105.5 before I did any modding. Now I'm usually 13.2s @ 107, with a nice cool night I ran 109-109.85 with a best ET that night of 12.89. On street tires. You'll love the new F-body. And I've gotten over 28 MPG as it is now!

Just drive the car before you buy it, listen for any differential noises. don't worry about slight knocking noise in the engine, especially cold, it's normal piston slap around 2,000 RPM.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    ^^^Great advice here. One more thing you will LOVE, when you get the one you want, is the power, braking/handling ability, no overheating! I had a 1967 400 4-speed Firebird for 11 years, sold it in 2000. Bought my first LS1 car, a '98 automatic with 2.73 gears. It ran 95% as fast as the '67 did, and almost triple the MPG. Now, the WS6, 6-speed, is way faster, it ran 105.5 before I did any modding. Now I'm usually 13.2s @ 107, with a nice cool night I ran 109-109.85 with a best ET that night of 12.89. On street tires. You'll love the new F-body. And I've gotten over 28 MPG as it is now!

Just drive the car before you buy it, listen for any differential noises. don't worry about slight knocking noise in the engine, especially cold, it's normal piston slap around 2,000 RPM.
    good to know! thanks. and yea i have a buddy that has an 04 GTO that can come with me to listen for an weird noises like that, and help me out a little. i am really wanting a 99 or a 00. the 01 and 02 are a little out of my price range...
    it all depends on what i get for my 79 T/A

I see Yello and I like it 02cetransam's Avatar

yellow
    02 Collector Trans Am

great advice!! youll love any bird

black trans am

dont get a 98 if u wanna make power with the stock short block... 98 have week rod bolts and tuning is a pain in the ass ive seen 3 98 ls1s lose a rod bolt and blow b/c of it

ok also every good to know my good sir.
    idk what my plans are cuz i dont have the car yet.

2002 CETA m6

the ls1 is a engine with a lot of potential...in the event you do buy one i would look at a carfax or have it thoroughly checked out. The newest trans am you can buy is at least 7 years old and a lot of them have a tendency to have been beaten up in the past

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

what do you guys think about me selling my 79 TA...
    i dont think i will get much with the way the economy is.
    its the 403 olds in it so not much a performance car, at least not for what i want.
    but i dont wanna basicaly give it away cuz the economy.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

vats

either year look under the dash under the knee broad for a bypassed VATS theift deterant sys. most likely it will have been bypassed w/ a eletrical resistor.

if it has been use it as a negosheation. also use well worn brakes & tires to bargain.

^what? lol

Machine Silver
    05 Corvette

if you look at WS6's make sure the door sticker lists WS6 on it!

Thread Information