Thread: Looking for...

Blue
    09 Nissan Altima

Looking for...

Ok I think I'm finally in the market for a T/A. The wife said I could get one if I could find one and the G8 GT I want is still too expensive. I've been doing alot of looking lately and have come to the conclusion that this is what I'd like to find.

2000-2002 WS6
    under 100k miles (the lower the better)
    T-Tops (No Convertible for me)
    Automatic
    relatively stock, or some mild bolt ons (intake, exhaust, etc.)
    Paint doesn't have to be flawless, but I'd like it to be in somewhat decent condition.
    Color Choices: Here's where I'm having trouble. I do not want a red T/A. There seem to be nothing but red T/A's available, lol. I'd love to find a silver one. That's probably my top choice. Black second and then maybe blue third.
    Price: Preferably under $20,000. Again, the lower the better. I've found a couple silver ones on autotrader around 15k that I'm interested in. What should I definitely look for when checking out a T/A? Any general trouble issues that are normal?

Thanks for any help you guys want to offer.

And....Go.
    Corey L.
    Lexington, NC

Play 4x4 Country

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sounds like a good plan... and under $20,000 shouldn't be a problem. Things to look for:

1. Unusual tire wear which may indicate alignment or suspension bushing issues.

2. Blown speakers - the Monsoon system is notorious for these. In our car, the seller had the bass turned down to try to mask this.

3. Make sure it has its emission equipment intact - cats, O2 sensors, secondary air (if these are an issue in your state).

4. It is common for there to be cracks in the top of the door panels several inches from the back of the doors.

5. The rear end is probably going to be weeping around the pinion seal - this is normal for the stock rear.

6. Check to make sure the SES lights up at start up and that it hasn't been removed to hide something.

7. Wouldn't hurt to also plug in an OBDII scanner just to check for codes, even if the light is not on.

8. The hatch release may be a little weak - can be fixed with a simple spring addition.

9. Check the fitment of the doors and T-tops - nice even gaps.

10. Try all the electrical accessories.

11. Drive it... drive it... drive it.

12. Pay attention to how the A4 shifts and feels, and listen for any unusual sounds from the rear.

13. It is normal for the engine to be a little noisy at cold start up -- piston slap is common in these cars and goes away as the engine warms up.

14. Check all fluids, pull both the radiator cap and oil fill cap and check for evidence of gunk and excessive moisture (oil cap only).

That's what comes to mind -- I am sure others will chime in with things to look for.

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

have you searched on here and on tech? should be able to find plenty of them that fit what your looking for, and for alot less than the 20k you have to spend. Even if you had to drive/fly out to get one of them, would still come out under what your looking to spend.

Blue
    09 Nissan Altima

thanks for the help guys. i've definitely been keeping an eye out on the for sale threads. i know it'd be easier to find one that's a 6 speed but i haven't driven a manual trans in so long, i'd almost rather forgo the embarrassment of trying again.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by chiller2484 View Post
    thanks for the help guys. i've definitely been keeping an eye out on the for sale threads. i know it'd be easier to find one that's a 6 speed but i haven't driven a manual trans in so long, i'd almost rather forgo the embarrassment of trying again.
    6 speeds are actually harder to find...

2000 Trans Am

[QUOTE=pajeff02;1955566]1. Unusual tire wear which may indicate alignment or suspension bushing issues.

QUOTE]

Unusuall amount of tire wear also means, burn outs, track time, hard launches etc etc etc
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

Black
    99 WS6

I paid $7000 for my 99 WS6 with only 72,000 miles

2002 WS6 TranAm

You should be able to find a very nice car for that budge range. Check this site of someone that is in your area. I think his prices are high but most of his stuff looks nice. Don't know anything about the dealership, etc. just like looking at his site.

http://www.morrisonmotorco.com/searc...theme=morrison

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

[QUOTE=clg82;1956428]
    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    1. Unusual tire wear which may indicate alignment or suspension bushing issues.

QUOTE]

Unusuall amount of tire wear also means, burn outs, track time, hard launches etc etc etc
    I think by unusual he meant wearing unevenly, more on the inside or outside, but I also agree with what you say too. Detective work, play CSI with anything you look at...be picky. Happy hunting!

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

I think you would love a silver one! and I don't say that just cuz I have one. I wasn't even looking for a silver one and mine came up and it being silver well, I haven't seen any silver t/a's around here!
    Last edited by silverWS6; 06-09-2009 at 02:53 PM.

i am in this same boat... looking for a WS6 in NC lol

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by MoonRunX View Post
    I am looking for rear hub carrier for a slash can anyone help email please pm I need one by this weekend.
    What??

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    What??
    The only post this guy has had that made sense was a trolling illegal for sale post in someone else's for sale thread. I'd just ignore him until he figures out how to start his own threads in the correct sections....

Plus Bulgaria? I doubt his first language is English, maybe he's using a translator and it sucks? I don't understand hub carrier for a slash, sounds like Friday the 13th slang to me

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    The only post this guy has had that made sense was a trolling illegal for sale post in someone else's for sale thread. I'd just ignore him until he figures out how to start his own threads in the correct sections....

Plus Bulgaria? I doubt his first language is English, maybe he's using a translator and it sucks? I don't understand hub carrier for a slash, sounds like Friday the 13th slang to me
    Dam..

maybe he wants a rear differential for cheap?

Black
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by chiller2484 View Post
    Ok I think I'm finally in the market for a T/A. The wife said I could get one if I could find one and the G8 GT I want is still too expensive. I've been doing alot of looking lately and have come to the conclusion that this is what I'd like to find.

2000-2002 WS6
    under 100k miles (the lower the better)
    T-Tops (No Convertible for me)
    Automatic
    relatively stock, or some mild bolt ons (intake, exhaust, etc.)
    Paint doesn't have to be flawless, but I'd like it to be in somewhat decent condition.
    Color Choices: Here's where I'm having trouble. I do not want a red T/A. There seem to be nothing but red T/A's available, lol. I'd love to find a silver one. That's probably my top choice. Black second and then maybe blue third.
    Price: Preferably under $20,000. Again, the lower the better. I've found a couple silver ones on autotrader around 15k that I'm interested in. What should I definitely look for when checking out a T/A? Any general trouble issues that are normal?

Thanks for any help you guys want to offer.

And....Go.
    If possible put the car up on a rack and take a close look at the underside of the car. All the things listed above should be checked and by all means drive it and get down on it a few times.
    Good Luck

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by jambofla View Post
    If possible put the car up on a rack and take a close look at the underside of the car. All the things listed above should be checked and by all means drive it and get down on it a few times.
    Good Luck

Good idea! I forgot to mention this. When we bought our car, I had the dealer put it up in the air and we spent a good 10 minutes looking everything over. I still remember looking at the single exhaust tips on our T/A and thinking, "This can't be right -- but it looks factory."

3-Time F-Body Offender doozjamann's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

Drive down to Salisbury. I saw 2 down there yesterday. on the Pontiac Lot.

From 85 S. Take the Jake Alexander exit 75 or 76. Turn Right about 1 mile down on right is the lot. Can't remember the colors I think one was pewter not sure about the other.
    Last edited by doozjamann; 06-13-2009 at 05:55 AM.

NBM
    2002 Firehawk T/A

Quote Originally Posted by mrsracing View Post
    You should be able to find a very nice car for that budge range. Check this site of someone that is in your area. I think his prices are high but most of his stuff looks nice. Don't know anything about the dealership, etc. just like looking at his site.

http://www.morrisonmotorco.com/searc...theme=morrison
    I used to live near these guys, thay have a shitload of sports cars

Thread Information