Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

longtube headers which size

This is a discussion on longtube headers which size within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Is there much of a price difference between 1-3/4 and 1-7/8?...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Is there much of a price difference between 1-3/4 and 1-7/8?
    It's on jackstands.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    So...

I've been turning this over in my head for a while now. With machined heads (799, stage 1) and a mild cam, will 1-7/8 yield more power than 1-3/4? Or am I still at a point where the extra flow is inconsequential? If I do anything else to the engine, it will be headers/mid-pipe and that will probably complete the build. In case it matters, it's making 360 at the wheels now (through the stock manifolds).
    The HP difference would be so miniscule, if you already have 1 3/4 I would just stick with those.
    98' Trans AM RIP

00' WS6/Black/Pacesetter LT's/Magnaflow Exhaust/SLP lid/Nick Williams 92mm TB/FAST 92 Intake/BMR Strut Tower Brace/BMR Rear LCA's/BMR Panhard Bar

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by 1998 T/A View Post
    The HP difference would be so miniscule, if you already have 1 3/4 I would just stick with those.
    I will say this much, I just got the Kooks emissions header lts/ catted y pipes and Magnaflow cat back, it push my torque further up the rev' range. The engine now bogs at low speeds in sixth when I try to accelerate a bit (it actually detected knock and dialed back the timing), I have to use fifth for acceleration beyond holding speed at legal cruise speeds (45-65 mph). I figure it will come back with heads and cam but the drop in back-pressure really changes the driving dynamics of a stock engine (some will love it, some wont).

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

I hear from tons of people that back-pressure is a myth...

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Well, before the headers, catted y pipe and cat back, I could go a third to half throttle at 55 in sixth to accelerate and it wouldnt have any problems, no stuttering, bogging, knocking etc. The shop owner/mechanic that did the work rode with me, computer/programmer in hand and saw that the knock sensor was picking up knocking when I drove like that, he even tried to adjust the timing while driving and it didnt fix it.

I am a bit more conservative in my typical driving than the average guy in these cars but I will tell you that the torque has moved up since the exhaust install.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

well of course there will be an increase going from stock to your setup but from 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 I don't think any human could detect a difference

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Scott - did you get a post-install tune?

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Scott - did you get a post-install tune?
    Not yet, we were up against the Christmas Eve crunch, he did ride in it with me and made some adjustments to the low rpm/moderate load timing and he stretched out the time the computer waits for the O2's to heat up becore they throw a p0135/p0155 code.

Depending on if I get the promotion/payraise that I am in line for, I might do the heads/cam this summer and do the tune then. I got the impression it would just run a little richer w/o the tune, was I incorrect?

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

My understanding is that backpressure is not a requirement, but tuat it is real. Essentially, the exhaust gasses can't get out quickly enough, so the next cycle's exhaust bumps into it and is pushed back upstream... why this affects torque is beyond me...
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Not yet, we were up against the Christmas Eve crunch, he did ride in it with me and made some adjustments to the low rpm/moderate load timing and he stretched out the time the computer waits for the O2's to heat up becore they throw a p0135/p0155 code.

Depending on if I get the promotion/payraise that I am in line for, I might do the heads/cam this summer and do the tune then. I got the impression it would just run a little richer w/o the tune, was I incorrect?
    Bump?
    SLP Air Lid/Smooth Bellows
    Kooks Emissions LT Headers/Catted Y pipe
    NGK TR55 plugs
    Magnaflow Cat-back
    Spohn Front Upper Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Lower Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Rear Lower Control Arms/ Adjustable Panhard Rod
    Factory C5 Z06 17x9.5 wheels w/ 285-40-17 Continental Extreme Contact DW's all the way around.
    Dyno Dynamics dynoed @:
    356 rwhp, 360 rwlb/tq

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

That's correct. A tune is not necessary after a header install. It will however adjust the AFR and add more hp/tq if tuned.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    That's correct. A tune is not necessary after a header install. It will however adjust the AFR and add more hp/tq if tuned.
    Thanks! I am probably going to do it in the spring, when I am running my summer tires. Gotta put a ps pump and hoses first.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Sounds good. Just remember that you'll trigger an SES light until you get it tuned so don't freak out when you see it lit up.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Sounds good. Just remember that you'll trigger an SES light until you get it tuned so don't freak out when you see it lit up.
    The only code that popped up was the o2's taking too long to heat up, the shop adjusted that amount of time the computer allows before it trips the code, he also put a little more timing at light medium loads so it wouldnt bogg so much at cruise speed and light acceleration.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Hold on, was your question about a tune after headers, or after heads/cam? My answer was addressing after headers, but looking back at your question you might have been referring to something else.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Hold on, was your question about a tune after headers, or after heads/cam? My answer was addressing after headers, but looking back at your question you might have been referring to something else.
    You were correct, this is after headers, catted y-pipe and cat back. Bone stock long block. The list from my sig' is current.

Thats, weird, my sig' isnt showing up any more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information