Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry Local shop wants $500 to install LT's

Are they serious? They said the 1998 models are a pain and its a day job.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    Are they serious? They said the 1998 models are a pain and its a day job.
    98s are no more of a pain than any other year...go else where ....all you need is a sawzall and basic sockets and tools and you can get it done in a few hours.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

its cause on 98's you have to take the coil packs off one by one, its not a big deal though, lol in their faces and go somewhere else.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I have a 98' and I did mine in my garage. 2 ppl, one day. It can be intimidating for your first time but anyone can do this. We have some great stickies on this subject. If you need help just PM.

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I found a shop near me that will do the job for 300 bucks so I know there are small shops that can beat 550.. Dont go to any large business because most want to charge a whole lot and some wont even touch my car because of the ORY.. 300 isnt bad but i think i am going to end up doing the job myself

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by smkn gts View Post
    I found a shop near me that will do the job for 300 bucks so I know there are small shops that can beat 550.. Dont go to any large business because most want to charge a whole lot and some wont even touch my car because of the ORY.. 300 isnt bad but i think i am going to end up doing the job myself
    good choice

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Hey shady.. I found a guy right by my shop that will do the entire job for 350.. he will install the long tubes, spark plugs, and then make adjustments to the ORY to fit the new headers.. The price doesnt seem bad.. If i wanted to do the job myself I would have to replace everything and then I would also have to pay 75 bucks for them to make the new ORY adjustments.. I think with that kind of price i am going to go ahead buy some pacesetters and have the whole job done before i get the mail order tune.

98' trans am

Hey shady.. I found a guy right by my shop that will do the entire job for 350.. he will install the long tubes, spark plugs, and then make adjustments to the ORY to fit the new headers.. The price doesnt seem bad.. If i wanted to do the job myself I would have to replace everything and then I would also have to pay 75 bucks for them to make the new ORY adjustments.. I think with that kind of price i am going to go ahead buy some pacesetters and have the whole job done before i get the mail order tune.
    good deal. you will love it.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

I did mine myself took me about a day with a case of beer and my old man. If I could have found a shop to do it for $300 knowing what I know now I would have paid it.

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

it was that bad eh? the way i see it is im only saving 225 for doing it myself.. not work that much time lol

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

it was that bad eh? the way i see it is im only saving 225 for doing it myself.. not work that much time lol
    If I had a lift it would have made all the difference in the world. It wasn't bad per say it was just time consuming b/c I have never done them on a lsx car before.

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Yeah I havent either and i dont have many friends or family that have any interest in taking on a job like this lol its rather intimidating but the shop is helping me out since i spend 700 for the full exhaust with electric cut offs lol

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Yeah I havent either and i dont have many friends or family that have any interest in taking on a job like this lol its rather intimidating but the shop is helping me out since i spend 700 for the full exhaust with electric cut offs lol
    Its not that its hard, its just a pain in the ass b/c of the tight spaces and how high you have to lift the car. You can have anyone help you do it but for the price you got I would pay it with a smile. Knowing that your knuckles will not get bloody

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    Its not that its hard, its just a pain in the ass b/c of the tight spaces and how high you have to lift the car. You can have anyone help you do it but for the price you got I would pay it with a smile. Knowing that your knuckles will not get bloody
    i was lucky..i wear mech. gloves and with the help of my friend we cruised through it...id do it over again and over again..it was so much fun...and shit if my friend ends up getting a ls1 t/a ...best believe we will be at it again.

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I mean I know it would be a great experience to do the job myself but you are right, for the money, you cant get much better than the price I got.. did you guys replace the spark plugs and wires? the guy for some reason asked me about them and from what I saw it doesnt look very hard to replace the wires on our cars lol its getting to the actual plugs that sucks

Black
    F250

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i was lucky..i wear mech. gloves and with the help of my friend we cruised through it...id do it over again and over again..it was so much fun...and shit if my friend ends up getting a ls1 t/a ...best believe we will be at it again.
    I helped my buddy a little bit on his a few days ago... Mine are sitting in the garage waiting to be done soon haha

k thanks guys. one of my buddys owns a garage so i think ill pay him and help out with it. def save some cash. thx again

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

After the tune with the long tube headers what kind of rwhp numbers would i be looking at? Other than the lid and exhaust the car is completely stock and I have heard I can expect to see anywhere from 25-35 rwhp gain is that with a good tune or before the car is even tuned?

98' trans am

After the tune with the long tube headers what kind of rwhp numbers would i be looking at? Other than the lid and exhaust the car is completely stock and I have heard I can expect to see anywhere from 25-35 rwhp gain is that with a good tune or before the car is even tuned?
    depends on the headers etc..but i would think 20-28ish

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

noticeable difference?

Thread Information