Lifting car

This is a discussion on Lifting car within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I have one 3 ton jack with a 20" lift and would like to know if I can jack the ...

Lifting car

I have one 3 ton jack with a 20" lift and would like to know if I can jack the car up to put if on 4 ramps by using the k-member(not to have it crush) and rear end to lift. I read somewhere that you could damage a rear end by lifing it up by the chunk. Would there be a tendency for the car to tilt side to side if lifting on one point of the k-member.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You can lift the car under the center of the stock K-member -- not sure I would do it with a tubular aftermarket K-member. You can also lift the rear of the car under the differential. You'll need a fairly low profile jack to get under the front, or just drive it onto some pieces of 2" x 6". Other than that, the uni-body frame rails behind and inside of the front wheel wells are your correct lifting point. Do not jack the car on the pinch weld or you'll be messing up your fender alignment.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    You can lift the car under the center of the stock K-member -- not sure I would do it with a tubular aftermarket K-member. You can also lift the rear of the car under the differential. You'll need a fairly low profile jack to get under the front, or just drive it onto some pieces of 2" x 6". Other than that, the uni-body frame rails behind and inside of the front wheel wells are your correct lifting point. Do not jack the car on the pinch weld or you'll be messing up your fender alignment.
    This... and you can safely lift the car from the center of a STOCK k-member. Use jack stands please.

Working on your toys will be hard with a crushed skull..

Just my .02
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

probably what you've read about lifting by the rear is the rear cover. If you lift it too far back on the pumpkin you can bend that cover and cause it to leak. I always put my jack on the front part of the rear to lift it. Getting these cars in the air is a pain in the ass but once you get a system down it isn't too bad.

I personally would use 4 jack stands instead of ramps. I almost lost mine off some ramps one time so my car will never be on ramps again.

On a 4 ramp system if you oppose the ramps it will lock the car in place and it will be impossible for it to move.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have never been a fan of ramps either.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I'll agree it's always a good practice to use jack stands/ramps in addition to the jack anytime you are under the car. A jack should never be used as the main support, but as a secondary lifting aid.

I've always used the k-member and never had an issue. I usually put a piece of 2"X6" wood between the jack lifting surface and the car just so I'm not scratching the underside all up. After getting it to height, I place the jack stands in place and lower the car on them...leaving the jack in place as a back-up.

I too have ramps but prefer the jack stands instead. Then again, my ramps are old and don't look safe
    It's on jackstands.

Thread Information