Thread: Liftes?

Liftes?

Everytime i start up my car when its cold, the lifters make nosie. is thiscomon? should i be worrried about it at all? it only has 17k miles and its 00
    when should i get the valves and other shit adjusted? thanks for you help.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

wait...WHAT?! your sure it's a lifter? is it a loud clacking sound that increases with RPMs? does it go away as you drive? need more info, man!

Quote Originally Posted by dipherentdesign
    wait...WHAT?! your sure it's a lifter? is it a loud clacking sound that increases with RPMs? does it go away as you drive? need more info, man!
    yes its kinda loud. and clacking and it goes up when your RPMS increase. but it goes away when the car gets warmed up all the way. ima not positive its a lifter but that was my guess.

Red
    2002 Trans Am

could be piston slap. Lots of ls1 guys seem to have it and have come to the consensus that its pretty common/normal. Seems to be hit or miss though, I dont have it so I'm not sure if thats what you're talking about.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

dam with 17k on the clock i'd hope it isnt anything serious, is it still warenteed?

no its not still under warrentey

i hope ots not serious eather, should i go get it check out? how bad is piston slap? it seems to run awsome when it gets warmed up and everything. jsut makes that noise.

Red
    2002 Trans Am

im not terribly sure how bad it is but from what ive read it seemed like those that had it were just fine. since it goes away when its warmed up, just dont romp on it till its warmed up, which you shouldnt be doing anyways.

Dark Blue
    2002 RA WS6 TA

Bleed Down Lifters

I have heard the same thing all along (30K miles). I thought these LS1's had bleed down lifters. They will tick until the oil warms up. Especially after sitting for any time at all.

The ticking sounds just like the old Rhodes lifters we used to use in the old days whn you were running 10:1 or higher compressions on lower octane gas. Bleed down lifters are a way to "bleed off " a little compression when running high compression, higher lift cams and lower octane gas. Once temp, and pressures come up, they don't make any more noise.

Somebody please correct me if I'm full of **it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer-Ed
    I have heard the same thing all along (30K miles). I thought these LS1's had bleed down lifters. They will tick until the oil warms up. Especially after sitting for any time at all.

The ticking sounds just like the old Rhodes lifters we used to use in the old days whn you were running 10:1 or higher compressions on lower octane gas. Bleed down lifters are a way to "bleed off " a little compression when running high compression, higher lift cams and lower octane gas. Once temp, and pressures come up, they don't make any more noise.

Somebody please correct me if I'm full of **it.
    thats exacutly whats happing. so it isnt bad at all then right? its normal?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

It's piston slap and normal.

Thread Information