White
    2000 Pontiac Firebird

Left tail light issues?

Hey guys this is my first post and also my first question. I have a 2000 Firebird, and I am having some condensation buildup in my right tail light. I have noticed several birds around town that seem to have the same problem. Is this a pretty common issue or can it be fixed without replacing the whole assemby? Thanks for any input.

Jonathan
    Last edited by c0ldwhitelite; 05-02-2006 at 07:52 AM.

The Rookie
    Don't know anything about condensation unless it is after market. I do however know that factory ones got a little hot and would melt a little leaving a dimple.

White
    2000 Pontiac Firebird

this is stock. i noticed all the condensation is mainly in the reverse light, and on the bottom of the area around the brake light. the other two birds i looked at before buying this one were full of water in the right rear light assembly.
    Last edited by c0ldwhitelite; 05-02-2006 at 07:52 AM.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

I don't know about the tails, but the turn signals are NOTORIOUS for corroding the bulbs because of the mounting location of the bulbs.... since they are in the bottom of the housing, moisture gets in there and just sits on the bulbs...

I've actually had to take the bulb out and drain out the housing...

gives another meaning to "blinker fluid"....

Black Beast 1 badblack transam 01's Avatar

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

My right light has condensation in it to. The reverse lights gets it when I wash it but after a day or 2 goes away. The brake light is constantly covered no matter what and is darker than the other because of it. But the turn signal hasnt gaven me ne problem.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

i think the tails are a result of our cars having piss poor body-panel alignment... almost every f-body I see has strange gaps all over... hood, fenders, hatch, etc... combination of weak frame and plastic panels...

probably the tails are being pushed away from the body and water is getting in... have you thought about replacing the gasket?

White
    2000 Pontiac Firebird

Sorry I just remembered my right from my left. I have the condensation build up in the RIGHT tail light. My far right side is completely burned out. So I know I will need a bulb. I just hope its an easy fix as far as keeping the condensation out. I just cant figure out where it is getting in there.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

have you pulled off the housing yet?? you may have some cracks, and if the weatherstripping is old/bad, then water gets in the cavity between the body and the housing... if you have cracks in the plastic housing, then moisture will find it's way into the bulb area....

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Same here, I have a 99 T/A and my right tail light used to fill with water. I took it off, and drilled some holes in the bottom of the assembly. It no longer holds water. However the right tail/brake light is darker than the left probably because it was filled with water for a few years. This must be a problem with design. I tried calking the top of the assembly but could not find where the water was getting in. Try drilling small holes in the bottom of each light compartment, that should take care of the problem.

Thread Information