Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED light bars

Black
    2001 Pontiac Trans am WS6

LED light bars

Has anyone here experimented with the LED light bars at all? I got a friend that put some on a silverado and they are pretty bright and look really sharp, I was thinking about putting a ten inch bar between the Fog lights (WS-6 Car) below the bumper and some two inch units in the vents below the turn signals. Just kind of feeling out the forum if anyone has messed with them at all. Either way I think I will do it, and prob do a write up on it as well.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

It's what came out back in the late 80's early 90's called "road glow". Everybody had them under all 4 corners of the car. Looked pretty cool, but some people over did it with the wrong color or too many lights. Also the light bulbs themselves need to be out of plain sight so all you see is the light from the bulb and not the actual bulb itself. I put some led trailer lights in both the nostrils of the ram air hood, and the side vents behind the front wheels. It's not overpowering, just a hint of an evil red glow. You can see it in my sig.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

I think some LED fogs with a black casing would be badass tucked in the holes below the DRL's...they would also be bright lol REALLY bright. If you could get them tucked in far enough so that you cant really see them until they are turned on I think it would be pretty cool. I like the stuff that you cant see until you turn it on...thats just how I am.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Too be honest you will find little love about this from a majority of the members. "Gaudy" and "RICE!!!" would be the term used most, kinda like slapping stickers all over the car. I'm not saying it will be bad if done right and moderation.

Hell I get flak sometimes because I put a bird on my hood. You can't make everyone happy, so you shouldn't try to. You will always find haters.

I guess what I'm saying is you can do it and see how it looks. If you like it who cares, just have a thick skin and ignore the flamers.

I like the way Ron did his. I'd have my "Firebird" on the back panel in LED's if I could figure out how to work LED's and fab the front & rear panels.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Too be honest you will find little love about this from a majority of the members. "Gaudy" and "RICE!!!" would be the term used most, kinda like slapping stickers all over the car. I'm not saying it will be bad if done right and moderation.

Hell I get flak sometimes because I put a bird on my hood. You can't make everyone happy, so you shouldn't try to. You will always find haters.

I guess what I'm saying is you can do it and see how it looks. If you like it who cares, just have a thick skin and ignore the flamers.

I like the way Ron did his. I'd have my "Firebird" on the back panel in LED's if I could figure out how to work LED's and fab the front & rear panels.
    for the record...a guy down around huntsville can and does make the front license plate cover with back lit LED's and it looks badass...its painted, but the bird is clear so the LED's shine through it. Looks amazing in my opinion...

back to the LED's he's referring to...if it were me, i'd use one of these "just an example" and fab up a mount that sits it about 4-5inches back from the opening under the DRL's so that you cant see it when its off, but you can see the light when its on because they are concentrated. A rectangle style light would be better in my opinion because the hole itself is wide and narrow so it would work out better...but you get the idea...

2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Black / White

found one...this is what I would use...I would figure out a way to hang it from a bracket inside the bumper...

Black

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    found one...this is what I would use...I would figure out a way to hang it from a bracket inside the bumper...

Click for full size
    I was thinking something more like this, not really to give it that underglow look like fast and the furious but more like supplement the headlights in kind of an off road (Not 4x4 off road) but that kind of a look, I think something like a 10" light bar and some accent LED's that are hidden away under the turn signals in the two openings would be pretty sweet, I just need to find a light bar thats pretty bright and not very obnoxious looking lol.

Black

Also has anyone used or thought about trying the direct replacement 4x6 headlight LED's, from what I read its pretty much plug and play and you don't have to go through the trouble of wiring up ballast and that painful crap.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by RichWS6 View Post
    I was thinking something more like this, not really to give it that underglow look like fast and the furious but more like supplement the headlights in kind of an off road (Not 4x4 off road) but that kind of a look, I think something like a 10" light bar and some accent LED's that are hidden away under the turn signals in the two openings would be pretty sweet, I just need to find a light bar thats pretty bright and not very obnoxious looking lol.

Click for full size
    are you wanting to put the light bar under the bumper? with it being that low I dont know how much its going to help the headlights out...it will supplement them, but it wont be anything crazy. Also...with it exposed on the bottom of the car that low, you are asking for it to get ripped off lol I really like the idea of putting some smaller ones in the holes below the DRL's tho...I think that would be pretty cool.

- - - Updated - - -

Also has anyone used or thought about trying the direct replacement 4x6 headlight LED's, from what I read its pretty much plug and play and you don't have to go through the trouble of wiring up ballast and that painful crap.

Click for full size
    If you find any info on this let me know...im really interested in this. I bought a HID conversion kit and havent touched it.

Black

are you wanting to put the light bar under the bumper? with it being that low I dont know how much its going to help the headlights out...it will supplement them, but it wont be anything crazy. Also...with it exposed on the bottom of the car that low, you are asking for it to get ripped off lol I really like the idea of putting some smaller ones in the holes below the DRL's tho...I think that would be pretty cool.

- - - Updated - - -

If you find any info on this let me know...im really interested in this. I bought a HID conversion kit and havent touched it.
    Yeah that conversion kit kind of scares me a bit, I just ordered a pair to try out, I will post up about it when they show up.

Black / White

Yeah that conversion kit kind of scares me a bit, I just ordered a pair to try out, I will post up about it when they show up.
    so is it basically a direct bolt in that uses the existing connection...? if so thats going to be bad@ss! Way better than wiring up ballasts and stuffing them in somewhere...

Black

so is it basically a direct bolt in that uses the existing connection...? if so thats going to be bad@ss! Way better than wiring up ballasts and stuffing them in somewhere...
    I found these to, although they are pretty damn expensive they actually have a DOT approval for on road use. They are made by a company called jw speaker.

Black / White

I found these to, although they are pretty damn expensive they actually have a DOT approval for on road use. They are made by a company called jw speaker.

Click for full size
    do these bolt right in or do you need to modify some stuff?

I think the odds of getting pulled over for not DOT headlights is pretty slim...it would be the same odds as getting pulled over for HID's that arent in projectors or getting pulled over for an offroad Y pipe lol

Black

do these bolt right in or do you need to modify some stuff?

I think the odds of getting pulled over for not DOT headlights is pretty slim...it would be the same odds as getting pulled over for HID's that arent in projectors or getting pulled over for an offroad Y pipe lol
    Yeah, the last ones though after a bit more research will not fit with out a little modification seems they go pretty deep and our headlight bezel would have to be cut out a little bit to accommodate them, not to mention the cheapest I found was almost 400 a piece.

Black

Those oracle ones look like they will fit though, i just have to find an adapter to go from the 3 prong plug to the two prong

Black / White

Those oracle ones look like they will fit though, i just have to find an adapter to go from the 3 prong plug to the two prong
    keep me in the loop because it looks like a great setup and right up the alley of what I have been trying to do.

Black

keep me in the loop because it looks like a great setup and right up the alley of what I have been trying to do.
    will do! and I bought the oracle ones so stay tuned!

Black

So what I need to do now is find an adapter to go from our 2 prong female headlight connector to the H4 style connector on the LED light, anyone know of an adapter? or can tell me what the 2 prong headlight connector type is?

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

I've been trying to do this in my head forever. I wanna make the bird in the rear section in between the brake lights, light up when i turn the running lights on. (kinda like the old sunfire's had in the taillights that said PONTIAC) I guess i would need to fab a panel made of clear (or tinted) plexiglass and cut out the bird with an exacto knife. So during the day it would look stock, then at nite it would have an evil glow like the grilles.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by RONS98TA View Post
    I've been trying to do this in my head forever. I wanna make the bird in the rear section in between the brake lights, light up when i turn the running lights on. (kinda like the old sunfire's had in the taillights that said PONTIAC) I guess i would need to fab a panel made of clear (or tinted) plexiglass and cut out the bird with an exacto knife. So during the day it would look stock, then at nite it would have an evil glow like the grilles.
    I've seen a guy who did that...i've actually seen two guys who did it. One guy had a yellow anniversary edition I saw at the Fbody gathering in Atlanta like 5 years ago. His lit up and changed from red to yellow to orange and made it look like its on fire. I'll try to find it...im sure if you search hard enough you can find somebody who can build you one. I know of a guy down in Huntsville who does the front bird and he does a great job, but Im not sure he would/could do the rear bird.

This guy used standard LED's...

366 LED Taillight Filler Panel - PICS! - LS1TECH

Thread Information