Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Land Speed WS6?

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Cool Land Speed WS6?

Hey, has anybody here been out on the salt flats? Can a guy go there and make a couple of runs only when they have an event? Or can you just drive out there and open them up? I would think theres a ?track? And what kind of classes are there? Stock. What are the restrictions on stock? I would hope you could tune out the mph limiter. I have wanted to go there since I bought this car. ANy thoughts?

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

you can tune out the mph limiter i know that,

White
    1998 Trans Am

I know with a 6aod and 342's you should hiu 160 or a little more with a cam and a few extra rpms to play with. The fastest Pontiac formla I belive lt1I saw was a lingerfelter preped 383 stroker and it ran 198 was in the 10 fastest cars issue back in 96 or 97.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

silver
    98 firebird formula

would not want to do 198 in a firebird.... but thats just me lol

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

There is a episode of Top Gear where they took a Corvette ZR1, Cadillac CTS-V and a Dodge Challenger (cant remember if it was a srt-8 or r/t which the front ends paint job was destroyed with duct tape). All 3 were stock cars. But yeah I think it has to be during one of their track sanctioned sessions. I think one of them made a reference to only being out there during those times. There arent really any restrictions as long as your car and driver can pass the safety checks and inspections.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by ftb28 View Post
    would not want to do 198 in a firebird.... but thats just me lol

In a stock one not really but with some upgrade to tires and suspensions it wouldnt be so bad.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    In a stock one not really but with some upgrade to tires and suspensions it wouldnt be so bad.
    He means becasue they arent built to handle a crash at thsoe speeds. Even with a roll cage a stock chassis car is dangerous at those speeds and f-bodys dont have the best safety rating as is, not to mention they wouldnt have passed 2003+ safety specs.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

As far as I know the Bonneville Salt Flats have many, many classes that can run. Everything from electric stuff, 1cyl vehicles, all the way up to rocket and jet engine powered stuff. I don't know that you can just go there on an off day (which I doubt they have off days) and just run what ever. I have often wanted to go just to see it myself I think it would be pretty cool just to see..

Anywhays here maybe this will get you going on the subject in more detail:
    http://www.saltflats.com/
    http://www.utah.com/playgrounds/bonneville_salt.htm
    Last edited by Smittro; 04-28-2010 at 01:01 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

There is also this. http://www.sscc.us/

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Hey smittro, im sure you are right. I was just hoping someone on here had some experience with this. It is something i would love to attend. And if I show, id like to run. Flat out. Maybe hold a class win for an hour, or a year, or forever. Prob more like an hour.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Problem is needing more HP and different gear. I think 6spd with 3.42 max at redline around 160 ish

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    Problem is needing more HP and different gear. I think 6spd with 3.42 max at redline around 160 ish
    And that would be in 5th gear, not 6th. 6th is too tall of an OD, but I like the MPG it provides.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    Hey smittro, im sure you are right. I was just hoping someone on here had some experience with this. It is something i would love to attend. And if I show, id like to run. Flat out. Maybe hold a class win for an hour, or a year, or forever. Prob more like an hour.
    Well I'm no expert that's for sure. But I too would love to go..

Black
    2001 WS6

I'd love to go too. I've been thinkin about it for a few years. I think it's a day or so out from us azgt.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

DAMNIT!!! now that you brought it up i'm losing my mind trying to find that article. I used to have the hard copy of it and knew it inside out. I remember the pics and everything. IIRC the firebird was the fastest top speed in the article. I think it was the April 95 issue of Car and Driver. I was in Junior high and totally into Dodge Vipers. In fact.... Mopars in general. I wanted a Dodge ram and was trying to convince my grandfather to buy an Intrepid... he did in 98

Anyway. I saved that magazine for years and finally ditched it a few years ago. Now I want to see that article again.

but speaking of Mopar anyone see the new cherokee SRT-8? they aim to beat the 0-60 time of the BMW X5 M which runs it in 4.0 flat.... yes friends the new Jeep Cherokee will have a sub 4 sec run to 60.... cars are simply out of control.

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    More HP, yes. Gearing is not what limits the 6-spd 3.42 setup to 160ish. Gearing (5th) wouldn't top out until more like 180.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

it has and always will be areodynamics of our cars that limit the top speed.......we dont have functional fancy rear pieces that give us down force......also the bottom of our cars are not very smooth and such.

personally i would do it in a heartbeat now that i have a near fully built suspension and running on konis and strano springs......before no way...i would be afraid that my decarbons would just float my car away.

'Brilliant black'
    1999 Firebird

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    Hey, has anybody here been out on the salt flats? Can a guy go there and make a couple of runs only when they have an event? Or can you just drive out there and open them up? I would think theres a ?track? And what kind of classes are there? Stock. What are the restrictions on stock? I would hope you could tune out the mph limiter. I have wanted to go there since I bought this car. ANy thoughts?

If you email us, we can give you the links to our Land Speed Racing website(s), info on LSR, and even a chance to drive our current LSR car. These links will give you all the info you need to understand what it takes to run a car at speeds up to and in excess of 200 MPH. You will also soon see the buildup of our 2000 Firebird, which will easily exceed 200 MPH at The Salt Flats, and we will drive it to Bonneville, and drive it back home here in Northern Nevada.

Note: We can't post those links in this reply, as we have been reprimanded 2 or 3 times for adding links on these posts. I'm not even sure if we are allowed to show our email address below our signature, but we chanced it anyway.

Keep your fingers crossed that we don't get a suspension of a day or two.

Richard (aka MAXX) and Judy White
    MAXX2RACING
    maxx2racing@yahoo.com

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by MAXX2 View Post
    If you email us, we can give you the links to our Land Speed Racing website(s), info on LSR, and even a chance to drive our current LSR car. These links will give you all the info you need to understand what it takes to run a car at speeds up to and in excess of 200 MPH. You will also soon see the buildup of our 2000 Firebird, which will easily exceed 200 MPH at The Salt Flats, and we will drive it to Bonneville, and drive it back home here in Northern Nevada.

Note: We can't post those links in this reply, as we have been reprimanded 2 or 3 times for adding links on these posts. I'm not even sure if we are allowed to show our email address below our signature, but we chanced it anyway.

Keep your fingers crossed that we don't get a suspension of a day or two.

Richard (aka MAXX) and Judy White
    MAXX2RACING
    maxx2racing@yahoo.com

hopefully i dont get banned for responding to you.... seriously, though, i am just looking for some info. I want to drive my car for sure. I AM looking for a sponsor/pit crew though. If you can provide bikini models, you move to the front of the line. Ha haahahahah

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by mbrownin View Post
    More HP, yes. Gearing is not what limits the 6-spd 3.42 setup to 160ish. Gearing (5th) wouldn't top out until more like 180.
    I thought i read on here somewhere that 6th would max out around 212? I mean thats assuming you have the power.

Thread Information