View Poll Results: Lambo doors on a Firebird?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do it! It will look awesome!

1 4.17%
  • Meh, if it's functional go for it.

3 12.50%
  • Yeah, put 'em on right after you mount the 26" wheels

5 20.83%
  • Totally GAY! Hand in your man card!

15 62.50%

Blue
    02 Firebird Transam

Lambo doors on a Firebird?

Ok ok, I know I know. Here's where I'm coming from. Seems everywhere I park, there's never enough room for these long freaking doors. At work, I keep getting the edge of my door against the pipe rail fence and it's messing up the paint on the edge of the door, and even scratching the fiberglass a little. I'm not too worried about it right now but have plans to paint the car within the next year and I do NOT want to mess up the new paint when I do. Besides parking in the middle of B.F.E. where hopefully I won't hit a near by cow when I swing open the door, the only thing I can think of to help keep from messing it up is maybe putting a vertical door kit on. I looked at door edge guards but haven't found any that are thick enough to go over the edge of the fiberglass. So what do ya'll think? I don't want to mess up my new paint when I get it but don't want my car to look douchey.

Dan

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty"....Thomas Jefferson

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

not sure why this guy has to be a dick, but back on topic there should be some clear edge guards offered on ebay. ive seen them a few times when i was scrolling through the pages id check there first because lambo door kits are not for a car like ours and will give you lots of problems with alignment and sag over time.
    2000 ss camaro, forged lq9 370 short block, stage 3 PRC 243 heads, fast 102 w, big mouth throttle body, MS3 cam, 1.7 roller rockers, stage 3 t-56, monster stage 3, pro 5.0, 4.10's with moser axles, bmr tq arm, lca's, phb. SOLD (thankfully)!!!

New project: 1968 step-side, partial restore, ls/th400 swap. hopefully boosted pics and more info to come!!!

Having a small cam is like having a small dick, everytime you go to use it you wish it was bigger

Blue
    02 Firebird Transam

Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDLS1 View Post
    not sure why this guy has to be a dick, but back on topic there should be some clear edge guards offered on ebay. ive seen them a few times when i was scrolling through the pages id check there first because lambo door kits are not for a car like ours and will give you lots of problems with alignment and sag over time.
    Thanks, I'll look into it. Like I said, the only edge guards I found so far were not wide enough. I was discussing my concerns of messing up my paint awhile back and had some folks suggest the lambo doors. Honestly I've never seen one of our cars with them and I lean toward them being douchey but thought I'd get some fellow bird owners opinions.

Dan

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by whitetrashbird View Post
    Thanks, I'll look into it. Like I said, the only edge guards I found so far were not wide enough. I was discussing my concerns of messing up my paint awhile back and had some folks suggest the lambo doors. Honestly I've never seen one of our cars with them and I lean toward them being douchey but thought I'd get some fellow bird owners opinions.

Dan
    remember there is a reason why you dont see them on our cars. but the clear ones wont be visible at all and they will protect the door just fine. not to mention way cheaper

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I have yet to come across a Lambo door kit worth a darn. If you do lambo doors buy an expensive kit with a good reputation. And make sure anything you do is reversible (don't weld the hinges on) because eventually you'll get sick of how crappy the lambo door kit operates.

Start getting used to the idea of parking out in the boonies

Been doing it for years, ya get used to it and becomes second nature. I little walking never hurt anyone

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ This. Walking is darn good exercise.

blue
    2001 silverado

Shoot guys i was just playin. I didnt mean any harm. Im sorry..

White
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Start getting used to the idea of parking out in the boonies

Been doing it for years, ya get used to it and becomes second nature. I little walking never hurt anyone
    x10000 doing the same thing since I started driving. What I drive might not be nice to somebody else but it's nice to me.

Quote Originally Posted by FMBL View Post
    What I drive might not be nice to somebody else but it's nice to me.
    That's all that matters. Nothing wrong with wanting to take care of your stuff.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Some how my post didn't post...

OP, I have a guy that just got a 93 Camaro and it has had the lambo mod done to it. He is currently trying to get it back to OEM style.

His issues with the lambo doors are that there is a huge gap in the lower corner that he can see the road.

Also the doors have other issues with the seems.

The lambo hinge was welded on and it looks like he'll have to take it to a body shop for the repairs. Also the doors were seriously modded to make it work.

Blue
    02 Firebird Transam

Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate it. I'll seriously check into the edge guards on ebay. Ya'll confirmed my gut feeling about the doors, I'll stick with OE!

Dan

Bright Red
    1998 Firebird Formula LS1

I always park at the very end of the parking lot. Keeps me from getting dinged (hopefully) AND....the long walk back to the car is cool too- This is time best spent admiring your beautiful hotrod and dreaming of future upgrades! Or....that's what I do anyways. lol

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Even with the hinges the door still has to swing out before it can go up, its more of a show piece for other cars. On a lambo the doors go straight up because of the long doors

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by chris1974 View Post
    I always park at the very end of the parking lot. Keeps me from getting dinged (hopefully) AND....the long walk back to the car is cool too- This is time best spent admiring your beautiful hotrod and dreaming of future upgrades! Or....that's what I do anyways. lol
    i did that many times LoL!

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by whitetrashbird View Post
    ..there's never enough room for these long freaking doors..
    Should be the slogan for the old F-bodies

Agree 100%!! That is exactly what I do and for that reason hahaha. I have remote-start system installed, so sometimes I even like to start it when i'm far to hear how it sounds. Too quiet for my taste, but it'll light up the parking lot i'm sure once I get my LT's installed and scare the nearby college girls not expecting a thing
    Last edited by Guerrillakilla13; 02-08-2012 at 11:58 AM.

Bright Red

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrillakilla13 View Post

Agree 100%!! That is exactly what I do and for that reason hahaha. I have remote-start system installed, so sometimes I even like to start it when i'm far to hear how it sounds.
    I had someone drive mine while I stood on the side of the street just so I could hear and see what it sounds/looks like. lol Funny stuff man. I thought I was the only dumbass who did that!

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I had someone drive mine while I stood on the side of the street just so I could hear and see what it sounds/looks like. lol Funny stuff man. I thought I was the only dumbass who did that!
    I've done that too. Mine sounds way better outside of car then inside. Inside it sounds raspy. Outside it sounds much nicer...although not the perfect sound I'm after.
    -------------------------------------
    Kooks 1 7/8" race headers, Kooks ORY, Borla catback, Nitto 555R, LS6 intake manifold, Shaner S3 ported stock throttle body, SLP lid, smooth bellows, JAAM Ram Air kit, Elite Engineering catch can, LS6 valley cover, EGR and AIR deleted, Frost tune, and Simpson Racing child car seat in the back. 13.2 @ 108MPH

Bright Red

yup....mine sounds nicer outside too. Allthough, looking at your mods, yours probably sounds better than mine. lol I'd like to hear what mine sounds like on the outside when someone's hammering on it...but I don't trust anyone enough to let them drive it like that.

Thread Information