Pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Knock Sensor Code - time for upgrade

Well I think I screwed up my knock sensor when I detailed the engine bay. Must have got to much water on the intake. Don't rip me for the detail jobs but here is what I am thinking about doing....

I have a 2000 Trans Am WS6. Has SLP Longtubes and Loud Mouth Exhaust (sounds awesome). Installed the longtubes about 200 miles before sensor went bad. But detailed the engine and sensore coded within 30 miles of driving.

No other real upgrades.

Since I have to take off the LS1 intake to get at the Knock Sensors I was thinking it would be a good time to upgrade to the LS6 intake. I had a couple questions about the LS6 intake.

1) Does it sit up any higher than the LS1 intake. My car has the strut tower brace that goes across the engine and I wanted to make sure that it will not hit the brace or that I wouldn't have to remove the brace.

2) Any effects to the coolant line not traveling through the manifold.

3) You have to get the computer reprogrammed. I figured this would be a good upgrade anyways since the Long Tubes were installed. Any tips on this process and potential cost?

Just looking for some feedback. I appreciate the help.

Chad

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

nope, just install.
    a tune would help also.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin2000 View Post
    Well I think I screwed up my knock sensor when I detailed the engine bay. Must have got to much water on the intake. Don't rip me for the detail jobs but here is what I am thinking about doing....

I have a 2000 Trans Am WS6. Has SLP Longtubes and Loud Mouth Exhaust (sounds awesome). Installed the longtubes about 200 miles before sensor went bad. But detailed the engine and sensore coded within 30 miles of driving.

No other real upgrades.

Since I have to take off the LS1 intake to get at the Knock Sensors I was thinking it would be a good time to upgrade to the LS6 intake. I had a couple questions about the LS6 intake.

1) Does it sit up any higher than the LS1 intake. My car has the strut tower brace that goes across the engine and I wanted to make sure that it will not hit the brace or that I wouldn't have to remove the brace.

2) Any effects to the coolant line not traveling through the manifold.

3) You have to get the computer reprogrammed. I figured this would be a good upgrade anyways since the Long Tubes were installed. Any tips on this process and potential cost?

Just looking for some feedback. I appreciate the help.

Chad
    1. Nope, it will clear under a STB with no problem.

2. You can modify the bottom of the LS6 intake to allow the coolant lines to fit.

3. You don't have to get a tune for LS6 intake and headers, but it would benefit you. May want to get in touch with Frost about doing a mail order tune.

4. Ditch the SLP headers and Loudmouth at some point. That advice is free of charge.

Pewter Metallic
    '02 WS6 M6 - The Reaper

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post

4. Ditch the SLP headers and Loudmouth at some point. That advice is free of charge.
    ^^^^^^

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by IceeWS6 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post

^^^^^^
    X2

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have the LS6 and a strut tower brace. The LS6 and LS1 are identical except for the egr on my 98 LS1 intake. Didn't need that amyway just extra junk.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Thread Information