Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

K&N or Paper?

This is a discussion on K&N or Paper? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; ^-- yup thats it... it came with a new tray... stock tray was to snug and the filter bowed.... fits ...

^-- yup thats it... it came with a new tray... stock tray was to snug and the filter bowed.... fits like a glove and seals nice

Quote Originally Posted by stanger88 View Post
    Risk, you mean 10-13X the dirt getting into your motor?
    Rewards? Like the 1-2 hp?

Get real.
    Isnt that a stacked hp though? Meaning more mods will yield more hp?

In any case, you quoted an entire passage...so there was more to mine than a hp argument.

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    This is it, right? If it is, do you or anyone know if it is less expensive somewhere else?

http://marylandspeed.com/product_inf...roducts_id=225
    Make sure you call and check to see if they have it! I ordered a SLP lid and its been 3 weeks and still no show.

Black 2002 Formula M6
    SOLD on 11/21/2009

Quote Originally Posted by sandman22 View Post
    Make sure you call and check to see if they have it! I ordered a SLP lid and its been 3 weeks and still no show.
    Thanks, I will.

Here are some pics I took this afternoon of my SLP Blackwing Lid and the filter in it. Can anyone make out which filter this is? If it is the Blackwing filter that came with the lid? ( this was installed on the car when I purchased it) I don't know if you can see it in the pic but it has a dark dirt line running across it and this is where it was sitting over the air induction opening...The filter also has some numbers on it but I can't make out what they are..

Anyway, here are the pics.
    Last edited by Sailor; 03-31-2007 at 04:15 PM.

Yeah that filter looks pretty dirty. You can flip it to save money.

See, with our FRAs and cold air induction setups, the paper air filters would have to be replaced a LOT.

If youre not a friend of K&N (Ive had a formula [with 3 types of K&Ns], isuzu truck, mustang, lt1, all with K&Ns and zero problems), then buy something better than paper at least. Ive got a holly powershot. There are so many others out now too.

Thanks, I will.

Here are some pics I took this afternoon of my SLP Blackwing Lid and the filter in it. Can anyone make out which filter this is? If it is the Blackwing filter that came with the lid? ( this was installed on the car when I purchased it) I don't know if you can see it in the pic but it has a dark dirt line running across it and this is where it was sitting over the air induction opening...The filter also has some numbers on it but I can't make out what they are..

Anyway, here are the pics.
    thats the oem donaldson that came with the oem blackwing lid..thats a good filter syn media.. flows better then k&n... i had the exact same filter but likes yours was very dirty... never wanted a K&N but i just today install the new version of the donaldson filter.... the blue one from slp... we will see

Black 2002 Formula M6
    SOLD on 11/21/2009

Quote Originally Posted by dxdenis02 View Post
    thats the oem donaldson that came with the oem blackwing lid..thats a good filter syn media.. flows better then k&n... i had the exact same filter but likes yours was very dirty... never wanted a K&N but i just today install the new version of the donaldson filter.... the blue one from slp... we will see
    Thanks for Identifying it. So is this filter I have to be cleaned and re-oiled using those recharge filter kits such as shown here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Donal...spagenameZWDVW

or do I just replace it if it is not the kind that gets cleaned and re-oiled to make it like new again?

Thanks again.

Black 2002 Formula M6
    SOLD on 11/21/2009

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    Yeah that filter looks pretty dirty. You can flip it to save money.

See, with our FRAs and cold air induction setups, the paper air filters would have to be replaced a LOT.

If youre not a friend of K&N (Ive had a formula [with 3 types of K&Ns], isuzu truck, mustang, lt1, all with K&Ns and zero problems), then buy something better than paper at least. Ive got a holly powershot. There are so many others out now too.
    Thanks and I am finding that out ( that there are so many others out there now). So I am attempting to educate myself on the different ones and especially on the one I have now..
    Thanks again.

Thanks for Identifying it. So is this filter I have to be cleaned and re-oiled using those recharge filter kits such as shown here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Donal...spagenameZWDVW

or do I just replace it if it is not the kind that gets cleaned and re-oiled to make it like new again?

Thanks again.
    no that one has to be replaced... the new version .. the blue one can be re-oiled.... the other one is a synth media

Black 2002 Formula M6
    SOLD on 11/21/2009

Quote Originally Posted by dxdenis02 View Post
    no that one has to be replaced... the new version .. the blue one can be re-oiled.... the other one is a synth media
    Thanks once again. You've cleared up the confusion I had. I am leaning towards just replacing the current one with a OEM replacement and see how that does. Or maybe get the new blue one that can be reused by cleaning and oiling.
    I appeciate all the help.

yellow
    2002 CETA

Sailor are you going to try the grease test with the blue filter if you get one? If so would you let me know the results? Thanks everyone for the usefull information as I was just ready to purchase a K&n!

Black 2002 Formula M6
    SOLD on 11/21/2009

Quote Originally Posted by mr.yellow View Post
    Sailor are you going to try the grease test with the blue filter if you get one? If so would you let me know the results? Thanks everyone for the usefull information as I was just ready to purchase a K&n!
    Hi,
    I've decided I am going to go with an AC Delco air filter or something similiar for now and see how it works out. I rather stick with replacing the filter with a brand new one and see how it works instead of buying one that they say will last forever with re-cleaning and re-oiling...

Maybe it is my getting older as I am in my 50's, but when it comes to filters, either in cars, swimming pools, A/C units etc, it always seem best to replace the filters with a new one. And for the cost, I feel I could put in a number of fresh, new filters for what the K&N and similiar ones cost...

If after my going this route it doesn't seem all that efficient, then maybe I will go with a K&N or something like it in the future. We shall see.

pewter
    01 ws6

what happens if you over oil a k&n filter?

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by 01ls1ws6 View Post
    what happens if you over oil a k&n filter?
    your car will explode

really it may dirty the sensors in the air intake it would have to be dripping wet with oil

pewter
    01 ws6

Oh Cool, Could That Cause A Rough Idle

green
    98 formula

yeah it could cause a rough idle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information