Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Just trying to figure out a list for 450HP

This is a discussion on Just trying to figure out a list for 450HP within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones Getting an LS 4th gen into the 11's isn't too difficult. 370-400 RWHP does this easily. ...

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Getting an LS 4th gen into the 11's isn't too difficult. 370-400 RWHP does this easily. That auto will be your best friend. With a good converter, 3.23-3.42-3.73 gears, a few suspension tricks that work and good tires, you can do a cam only and get it there (along with headers of course). Tons of cam only LS 4th gens out there running 11's just like this.

It's a little bit easier if you install a nice set of heads, then you can go a bit milder on cam if you care and do the same thing, likely even a bit quicker. But you'll spend quite a bit more money.
    Got 3.73 gears already, so good there and rear end is built up.
    I figured I do heads/cam combo together want to have a street friendly came
    what convertor would be street friendly/ but great for the track?

I'm happy to hear that my time goal isn't that hard to get to with just a few simple changes. yes the auto I believe is going to make a big difference for me at the track. I know a guy that had either 03 or 04 cobra and after swapping to a auto, he said he picked up almost a second quicker on times, just by having a auto. I am not the greatest or suckiest with a manual, which is all I've had for my own cars, but I never went to the track enough to get it down perfect and would suffer for it, on the street was a different story, but at the track I always figure a auto would help out big time.

I for sure am getting on the free mods when I get the T/A back from body shop, maybe the owner before me had done a few of them and save me some time. I also want to do the SLP lid, I am still on my mustang forum called mach1registry.com great group of guys and made really good friends, but they hold a mach/bullitt shootout every year, which is coming up in April, which I already booked to go and they don't mind that I have a T/A, just being around as a friend. But I'll be running the T/A there and would be nice to put down some good times and smoke some mustang's LOL
    The tires on the car right now, suck, they break loose to easy, which I know is going to affect me at the track, so I may not get to really pull hard and suffer on times because of it, but at least get to take it on the track and see what she pulls.

ASh
    2002 auto T/A custom blue, Moser 9in rear end with 31 spline axle and 3.73 gears, Diablo Sport InTune, SLP LM1 catback, SLP lid & bellow, ram air free mod, eibach pro kit springs, bilstein hd shocks, bmr rear sway bar, bmr 2pt SFC bolt on, silver checker stripes 17x9.5 C5 Vette rims.

Quote Originally Posted by ASh302 View Post
    For the outcome I am wanting, I do not see the reason to change the LS6 intake, that was a plus finding out that the car comes stock with it. really if I can get to mid 11s without spending a bunch of crazy money, then that is a plus, which meaning if I don't have to get high hp numbers to see the times I want, then I'm fine with that.
    I have a diablo sport InTune tuner. I figure I can get it dyno tune after all this stuff is on, mainly after heads and cams put on.

So if i'm understanding this correctly, as the "free mods" article talked about cutting the EGR tube. I do not need to a tune for doing that? just want to make sure, before I end up doing it.
    Click for full size

what is with the air pump? what is that for? i'm sure I know, just wanting to make sure I'm on the same page and cover everything.

ASh
    You have an 02 with the LS6 intake, so you don't have to do the EGR free mod, there isn't one. That mod was for the 98-00 models with the LS1 intake.

Got 3.73 gears already, so good there and rear end is built up.
    I figured I do heads/cam combo together want to have a street friendly came
    what convertor would be street friendly/ but great for the track?

I'm happy to hear that my time goal isn't that hard to get to with just a few simple changes. yes the auto I believe is going to make a big difference for me at the track. I know a guy that had either 03 or 04 cobra and after swapping to a auto, he said he picked up almost a second quicker on times, just by having a auto. I am not the greatest or suckiest with a manual, which is all I've had for my own cars, but I never went to the track enough to get it down perfect and would suffer for it, on the street was a different story, but at the track I always figure a auto would help out big time.

I for sure am getting on the free mods when I get the T/A back from body shop, maybe the owner before me had done a few of them and save me some time. I also want to do the SLP lid, I am still on my mustang forum called mach1registry.com great group of guys and made really good friends, but they hold a mach/bullitt shootout every year, which is coming up in April, which I already booked to go and they don't mind that I have a T/A, just being around as a friend. But I'll be running the T/A there and would be nice to put down some good times and smoke some mustang's LOL
    The tires on the car right now, suck, they break loose to easy, which I know is going to affect me at the track, so I may not get to really pull hard and suffer on times because of it, but at least get to take it on the track and see what she pulls.

ASh
    For a converter, something in the 3500 stall range would work nicely and be very streetable. Nice thing about these, is they still retain the lockup feature, so you have your cake and eat it too. Some brands to look at would be Yank, Precision Industries, Continental, Coan, etc...
    Yank and Precision are among some favorites with the 4th gen crowd.

Nothing against mustangs here, I have 2 of them myself.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

You have an 02 with the LS6 intake, so you don't have to do the EGR free mod, there isn't one. That mod was for the 98-00 models with the LS1 intake.
    OK now I'm on the same page and was thinking that when I found out I had the LS6 intake, so good to know
    Thank you all for taking the time and answering these questions I have

ASh

blue
    2002 Trans Am

For a converter, something in the 3500 stall range would work nicely and be very streetable. Nice thing about these, is they still retain the lockup feature, so you have your cake and eat it too. Some brands to look at would be Yank, Precision Industries, Continental, Coan, etc...
    Yank and Precision are among some favorites with the 4th gen crowd.

Nothing against mustangs here, I have 2 of them myself.
    To me we all enjoy muscle cars and to each their own, I like some of the imports, love the Supra, STI's, EVO's, and a few others. all the love of the game

I do plan on getting another Mustang one day, older though, only newer one I would take is a Shelby GT500 07 and up or Boss 302 great looks and amazing road race car from the get go. but i'm up for 99-04 Mustang's
    Loved my 04 Mach I had,

ASh

To me we all enjoy muscle cars and to each their own, I like some of the imports, love the Supra, STI's, EVO's, and a few others. all the love of the game

I do plan on getting another Mustang one day, older though, only newer one I would take is a Shelby GT500 07 and up or Boss 302 great looks and amazing road race car from the get go. but i'm up for 99-04 Mustang's
    Loved my 04 Mach I had,

ASh
    Same way here, I like muscle cars of all makes, not necessarily stuck on one brand. I'm not a foreign car guy though, but I can certainly appreciate the work involved in some of those rides.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Same way here, I like muscle cars of all makes, not necessarily stuck on one brand. I'm not a foreign car guy though, but I can certainly appreciate the work involved in some of those rides.
    I always kept getting myself back into a mustang, since my first one, then I would see a T/A and be why don't I make the switch, being that my left knee was bad I need a auto, I had a 03 cobra line up, so then went for the T/A. Now, the funny thing is my knee is much better. It all works out and I'll get me another mustang one day

ASh

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Your gonna want to get some Mikey Thompson et drag radials. Those suckers grip like claws into the track! If the car is a dd, then they will wear out kinda fast. I found a set of used stock TA rims, then bought my drag radials for those. When it's track time, just grab the jack and air gun, and woo la, your done in 10 minutes.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

When I pulled my egr stuff out of my intake, I just used a rubber freeze plug to fill the hole. You will want to get a tune to avoid the SES light, but wait until your done modding (it never stops ) before you get it tuned.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by RONS98TA View Post
    Your gonna want to get some Mikey Thompson et drag radials. Those suckers grip like claws into the track! If the car is a dd, then they will wear out kinda fast. I found a set of used stock TA rims, then bought my drag radials for those. When it's track time, just grab the jack and air gun, and woo la, your done in 10 minutes.
    That is the plan, I do not want to run DR's all the time, use to do that, but do not have to any more, I'm planning a C5 or C6 style rims for the T/A, not so much the ZO6, but just the base model.
    probably not chrome though
    here are the three

for sure no bigger than a 18

ASh

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by RONS98TA View Post
    When I pulled my egr stuff out of my intake, I just used a rubber freeze plug to fill the hole. You will want to get a tune to avoid the SES light, but wait until your done modding (it never stops ) before you get it tuned.
    As said above and comfirm what my thinking was, I do not have it, so I'm a happy camper

ASh

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Click for full size
    One day grasshopper, one day
    LOL
    hope to get back in a 03/04 mach

ASh

I ran DR's on my slow v6 for yrs .. I drove to an back from tracks ran about 20 passes a week got 3k miles out of them ... must be a v6 thing only got 1.55 best 60ft

blue
    2002 Trans Am

I always ran nitto 555R, but this time going with mickey DRs and call it good, will be some time though, got other things in front of it before I get em

ASh

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

That is the plan, I do not want to run DR's all the time, use to do that, but do not have to any more, I'm planning a C5 or C6 style rims for the T/A, not so much the ZO6, but just the base model.
    probably not chrome though
    here are the three
    Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

for sure no bigger than a 18

ASh
    I love the last rim in the picts. The one on the bottom. Those are sweet.

I have one car that I run MT drag radials on full time and have been for the last 15 years or so (too slippery with stock rubber). It's primarily a street car and doesn't see much track anymore, however when frequenting the track as well as about 5,000 street miles a year, I could go a solid 2 seasons on the MT's. It goes 1.5 60 foot times at a 4,108 lbs. race weight.

Currently the car hasn't been to the track in about 5 years and has been strictly street driven. These MT drag radials on the back are about 6 years old now and still look like new. So it really depends how much time you spend in the water box. Without track time on my current set, they have actually lasted me quite a long time on the street and have actually now reached what I consider a useful age limit since I don't like to run tires much more than 6-7 years no matter how much tread is left.

Maybe it's time for another track visit, and use these things up before they need to come off

blue
    2002 Trans Am

I have one car that I run MT drag radials on full time and have been for the last 15 years or so (too slippery with stock rubber). It's primarily a street car and doesn't see much track anymore, however when frequenting the track as well as about 5,000 street miles a year, I could go a solid 2 seasons on the MT's. It goes 1.5 60 foot times at a 4,108 lbs. race weight.

Currently the car hasn't been to the track in about 5 years and has been strictly street driven. These MT drag radials on the back are about 6 years old now and still look like new. So it really depends how much time you spend in the water box. Without track time on my current set, they have actually lasted me quite a long time on the street and have actually now reached what I consider a useful age limit since I don't like to run tires much more than 6-7 years no matter how much tread is left.

Maybe it's time for another track visit, and use these things up before they need to come off
    sounds like you need to go to the track, lol
    With the type of trips that I do in my T/A right now, I just need a really good all season tire. Just to be a little more on the safe side.

ASh

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Loved my 04 Mach I had,

ASh
    I tend to agree. My favorite car is an import (NSX). And the Supra is one of those "make you think twice" cars whether you're talking about street, strip or road racing. Not really much of an EVO fan, but I really do like the 2015 WRX. I also would strongly consider an 05 - 08 Legacy GT as a daily/family hauler.

The F-Body makes a fun project car, though, for sure.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

sounds like you need to go to the track, lol
    With the type of trips that I do in my T/A right now, I just need a really good all season tire. Just to be a little more on the safe side.

ASh
    Why do you say all season? As far as I understand it, the only reason to put all season tires on a car is if you expect to have to drive it in snow or ice occasionally (or in temperatures below 43 degrees for extended periods). Otherwise, summer tires provide the best traction in both dry and wet conditions.

Jump to 6:30 to see where I got this info from.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Agree with Naaman. I have Summer tires on mine, Nitto NT555's to be exact. Great street tire on both dry and wet. Ok to fair at track. It's rare (except this winter) does it ever get below 40* here and it usually only for a day or two (again, except this winter).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information