Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Just trying to figure out a list for 450HP

So here is the deal, I'm trying to figure out what will give me around 450rwhp with out doing nitrous or F/I
    So what we got is a 2002 T/A auto, the owner before just added the Ram air hood.
    I also want to hit 11s on drag radials. This is the ruff goal I have and want out of the car, but keeping it street friendly.
    So right now is built rear end and driveshaft, SLP LM1 cat-back, Diablo Sport Intune. no other performance mods yet
    So here is what my thought is, from what I read the 01 and 02 Trans Am came stock with the LS6 intake and some with the LS6 block, I want to make sure this is correct thinking, because then the LS6 intake should be fine I would think for under the 500rwhp range. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    I was then planning on getting the SLP lid and their ram air tube/box, smooth elbow
    also what about MAF? I know SLP offers one, but is it worth it? also what size?
    also Throttle body? if so what brands are good? also what size?
    I'm planning on Kooks LT's with catted Y-pipe
    I did want to do Heads, which I am needing some suggestions on that and also cams, I love the sound and just want a friendly one for the street.
    The next question is stall convertor, which one?

for right now this is the stuff I have question about, do not worry about suggestion on suspension that is on another thread I have started.

Again I have said before I new to auto's and also new to the LS1's so please be easy with this prior mustang owner.

ASh
    2002 auto T/A custom blue, Moser 9in rear end with 31 spline axle and 3.73 gears, Diablo Sport InTune, SLP LM1 catback, SLP lid & bellow, ram air free mod, eibach pro kit springs, bilstein hd shocks, bmr rear sway bar, bmr 2pt SFC bolt on, silver checker stripes 17x9.5 C5 Vette rims.

high compression motor.. with a cam good heads

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I agree. You'll need to upgrade your top end if you want 450 horsepower. Though the bolt-ons will get you a portion of the way there, so you don't need any really serious heads/cam combos... just something mild and streetable will probably get you where you want to be.

high 11's is childs play .... no where near 450 hp

cam converter mid 11's on motor with dr's stock heads

367 rwhp
    Last edited by 99ss405; 02-28-2015 at 12:20 AM.

450 to the back tires is pretty serious on motor

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Do not touch your MAF. Leave it stock.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

I was running low 12's on a stock 1998 LS1 motor. (stock meaning only the cam was changed. I did have LT's and no cats) I had drag radials, Moser 12 bolt with 373 gears, 3200 stall, and a mild cam. I agree with 99ss405. You already have a better starting point with the LS6 stuff. I don't think 11's will be hard to get to at all. 3500 stall and a "streetable" cam you should see 11's. Have you run the car as it is yet? If yes, what were the times and mph?
    1998 Pontiac TA, stock heads, FAST 90, FAST 90 TB, FLP LT, off road y-pipe with cat delete, flow master muffler, comp cams 54-457-11 223/231-610/617-112 LSA, Pro charger D1SC with FMIC @ 8psi, FROST tune, VIG 3200 stall, built 4l60e, snow meth kit, MOSER 12 bolt 373 gears, Derale 13900 trans cooler.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Being an automatic helps you out tremendously. Us M6 guys have a much harder time getting down to those times lol.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by RONS98TA View Post
    I was running low 12's on a stock 1998 LS1 motor. (stock meaning only the cam was changed. I did have LT's and no cats) I had drag radials, Moser 12 bolt with 373 gears, 3200 stall, and a mild cam. I agree with 99ss405. You already have a better starting point with the LS6 stuff. I don't think 11's will be hard to get to at all. 3500 stall and a "streetable" cam you should see 11's. Have you run the car as it is yet? If yes, what were the times and mph?
    No I have not been yet, probably be going in April and will find out what it runs as is.

ASh

- - - Updated - - -

So am I correct that the 01 and 02 Trans Am's come with the LS6 intake?

ASh

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 99ss405 View Post
    high 11's is childs play .... no where near 450 hp

cam converter mid 11's on motor with dr's stock heads

367 rwhp
    So with 367rwhp you were in the 11s?
    Well if that is the case won't be long to hit 11's, would be nice
    so probably 400rwhp would put me at low 11's I would think

ASh

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yes, 01-02's came equipped with the LS6 intake from the factory.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I would be extremely happy if I got down into the low 11's. Lots of factors play into it. Launching it off the line hard plays havoc on a lot of the components; specifically the drivetrain and transmission/clutch. A friend has a similar setup as me and his best was an 11.09. Once you start getting into those fast times, it's much more difficult, and expensive, to dip lower. Going from 13's to 12's is pretty easy. 12's to 11's moderately difficult. 11's to 10's is much more difficult. 10's to 9's...you better have a really fat wallet.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

i'm very happy I already have the LS6 intake, which is what I was looking upgrading to, but for the HP I'm wanting I see no need to go any different.
    ok leaving MAF alone.
    what about throttle body?

ASh

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

Do yourself a favor and sell that ls6 an TB on eBay and get a FAST 92. That's what I did for my build and I haven't looked back. You're going to need to upgrade injectors fuel rail and move to a racetronix pump if you do heads and cam it all adds up very quickly $$

blue
    2002 Trans Am

So was doing some research and came across the "free mods" will get on that when the T/A gets back from the body shop, along with all the other stuff that needs installed.
    What I'm looking at doing is keeping the LS6 intake, I want to look at the different from porting the stock throttle body vs. after market one. Any thoughts?????
    Then I believe I'm going with OBX LT's with catted mid-pipe for that set up, already have SLP LM1 cat-back
    The next thing I was looking at was keeping the LS6 intake and do aftermarket heads and cams, which probably need to upgrade fuel injectors, rails, and fuel pump.
    now with cutting the EGR, does that need tuned after cutting it?

ASh

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I would leave the LS6 intake alone, it was very good to me in stock form.

P&P the stock TB is a good idea. IIRC back when BBK came out with the 85mm TB the net gains was only 5-10 HP over the stock. P&P the stock one and you'll get close to that without spending twice as much. I had a P&P TB from a guy called S2Performance. Orion directed me to him, he takes your stock one and P&P or you can buy one for around $150. Not sure if he's still in business but worth the look.

No on EGR, regarding the air pump, you can pull the fuse for it till you decide to remove it (I actually sold mine for $100) If you are staying with mild bolt on's like headers, free mods and egr delete get a Frost tune. Well worth the $$$ ($150ish)

Now to your top HP goals....383 stroker kit, cam and serious set of heads (Trickflow or Frankenstein Heads) will get you well within your desire range or better even with LS6 intake.

Getting an LS 4th gen into the 11's isn't too difficult. 370-400 RWHP does this easily. That auto will be your best friend. With a good converter, 3.23-3.42-3.73 gears, a few suspension tricks that work and good tires, you can do a cam only and get it there (along with headers of course). Tons of cam only LS 4th gens out there running 11's just like this.

It's a little bit easier if you install a nice set of heads, then you can go a bit milder on cam if you care and do the same thing, likely even a bit quicker. But you'll spend quite a bit more money.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    But you'll spend quite a bit more money.

......modding a car can lead to empty pockets.....
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Ain't that the truth.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I would leave the LS6 intake alone, it was very good to me in stock form.

P&P the stock TB is a good idea. IIRC back when BBK came out with the 85mm TB the net gains was only 5-10 HP over the stock. P&P the stock one and you'll get close to that without spending twice as much. I had a P&P TB from a guy called S2Performance. Orion directed me to him, he takes your stock one and P&P or you can buy one for around $150. Not sure if he's still in business but worth the look.

No on EGR, regarding the air pump, you can pull the fuse for it till you decide to remove it (I actually sold mine for $100) If you are staying with mild bolt on's like headers, free mods and egr delete get a Frost tune. Well worth the $$$ ($150ish)

Now to your top HP goals....383 stroker kit, cam and serious set of heads (Trickflow or Frankenstein Heads) will get you well within your desire range or better even with LS6 intake.
    For the outcome I am wanting, I do not see the reason to change the LS6 intake, that was a plus finding out that the car comes stock with it. really if I can get to mid 11s without spending a bunch of crazy money, then that is a plus, which meaning if I don't have to get high hp numbers to see the times I want, then I'm fine with that.
    I have a diablo sport InTune tuner. I figure I can get it dyno tune after all this stuff is on, mainly after heads and cams put on.

So if i'm understanding this correctly, as the "free mods" article talked about cutting the EGR tube. I do not need to a tune for doing that? just want to make sure, before I end up doing it.

what is with the air pump? what is that for? i'm sure I know, just wanting to make sure I'm on the same page and cover everything.

ASh

Thread Information