Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Just got off the phone with GM...

This is a discussion on Just got off the phone with GM... within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Wow after reading about all those problems I sure feel lucky lol. I have had to replace the cats once ...

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Wow after reading about all those problems I sure feel lucky lol. I have had to replace the cats once but I just went with aftermarket and that solved the problem, I also had a cracked dash and door handle. But considering that my car does have a carfax from hell and it's at 100k miles I can't complain at all. Luck of the draw I guess lol

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

I've owned several Trans Ams and loved them all, but quality is not the strong point of this car (or any Pontiac for that matter).

If your Bird is your daily, you need to have an emergency fund set aside, because things break on them all the time. They look great, kick the shit out of 98% of other cars on the road, but were put together worse than a thin plastic transformer knock-off toy assembled in Malaysia by 9-year-olds.

Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

Lmao!
    1992 Black/Gold Bandit Style Firebird (Retired)
    1998 Blue/Green Formy A4 (Gone)
    2002 Dark Blue Trans Am A4 (Daily Drive)

Quote Originally Posted by 2000LS1Bird View Post
    I've owned several Trans Ams and loved them all, but quality is not the strong point of this car (or any Pontiac for that matter).

If your Bird is your daily, you need to have an emergency fund set aside, because things break on them all the time. They look great, kick the shit out of 98% of other cars on the road, but were put together worse than a thin plastic transformer knock-off toy assembled in Malaysia by 9-year-olds.
    Wow, I feel all new cars are somewhat put together cheap with all the plastic crap on them now,,,,but that was a little harsh
    We've used them as daily's since the 90's (4 of them) and haven't had near the problems with them that others have listed here.
    There are things I don't like about them, but the good outweighs the bad so we continue to drive them. I don't see them as being any worse than anything else out on the road.
    I'm easily pleased though, considering I drive 40 year old cars most of the time, I'm used to maintainance.

Red
    1995 Trans Am 6 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Ws6islife View Post
    wow i find that kind of funny. how is a cracked door pannel not common? I bet you more than half of the members here have had a cracked door pannel, as well as a broken window motor, how about cracked the daytime driving light lenses get cracked or the water in the tail lights, right now i have an electrical short caused by the right blinker that reminds me i have to get it fixed.

High Performance Pontiac covered the preventative repair on the door panels. It is cased by the use of staples in the late 4th generation Firebirds. The early (LT1) cars did not have this problem. Window motors is common for all 4th gen cars. However, after replacing the driver side motor and window assembly (1995 TA), noticed how much dirt and gunk (old grease) was on the window assembly. Used carb cleaner on a rag and relub everything with good results. 5 years later no issues.

In her 15 years of service, the only lense that craked was one fog light because owner # 1 or # 2 put in the wrong size blub (one size larger) the caused a heat crack. However, I did end up buying a new set of lamps from GM for the time TA gets repainted.

Best advice is to stock up on GM parts while they are still around.

It has a big wing!

Quote Originally Posted by seppburgh View Post

Best advice is to stock up on GM parts while they are still around.
    That's the one thing that really makes me jealous with the old Fox Mustang guys...

They have FIELDS of aftermarket parts to keep up with father time's punishment on the Mustangs. You can practically make a "new" Fox Body out of aftermarket parts these days! Headlights,tails,bumpers,1/4 panels,wheels,under hood OE parts,moldings,rubber trims,wipers,interiors....on and on...

I know there are a few places to get F-Body parts but man,in comparison... it's pathetic.
    1999 Firehawk Trans Am #530

Quote Originally Posted by Baluchitherium View Post
    That's the one thing that really makes me jealous with the old Fox Mustang guys...

They have FIELDS of aftermarket parts to keep up with father time's punishment on the Mustangs. You can practically make a "new" Fox Body out of aftermarket parts these days! Headlights,tails,bumpers,1/4 panels,wheels,under hood OE parts,moldings,rubber trims,wipers,interiors....on and on...

I know there are a few places to get F-Body parts but man,in comparison... it's pathetic.
    Ya and it will probably be that way for a long time. That little Fox body has a huge advantage, with a huge following. They are great platforms to build from and the aftermarket as well as the public knows it. Which is why you see so much support for those cars.

4th gens not so much unfortunately.

It has a big wing!

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ya and it will probably be that way for a long time. That little Fox body has a huge advantage, with a huge following. They are great platforms to build from and the aftermarket as well as the public knows it. Which is why you see so much support for those cars.

4th gens not so much unfortunately.
    Agreed. I have had two.. a '93GT and a 92'GT. Never had any problems in finding parts. I guess owning a 4th gen is just a labor of love! (or insanity)

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

What are cats?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^4-legged creatures that meow. But they don't meow on my car anymore....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information