Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Just got off the phone with GM...

This is a discussion on Just got off the phone with GM... within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones 10 year old cars (or older) now. Things are going to happen. It's at that age ...

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    10 year old cars (or older) now. Things are going to happen. It's at that age where they will nickle and dime you.
    Most are just plain wore out, driven hard by kids and put away wet. Most of them were abused from the get go. Will GM replace the engine because it's now smoking at 100,000 miles or the transmission is slipping??? Of course not. And I wouldn't expect them to either.

I can honestly say, after having 4 of these, some of which I purchased new, and currently owning 2,,,I've had very little warranty work done.
    I've hardly had any of the issues listed here. No door panel problems, no water in the lights, no leaky roof.......

I have had the cats replaced once under warranty, then I pulled them out immediately to save them, and installed an off road Y-pipe
    I also had some brake rotors swapped under warranty that kept warping within 50 miles. They also did replace a couple of the door speakers under warranty too. That's about it.
    Overall I can't complain a bit, and I think that's very minor stuff to happen over the course of 10 years or more and actually pretty typical of any new car out there from my experiences. It's not like they have left me stranded on the road somewhere.

I mean really Sas, you have what??? 90,000 miles on a 10 year old car??? Can't expect it to be trouble free, especially if you bought it used.

I'm not trying to be mean here, but it sounds like alot of complaining about a USED car. They do require a little upkeep and money to keep them dependable. Just the nature of it. GM can't be expected to flip the bill for the life of the car,,,right??? Just trying to be reasonable here, that's all.

If it's the cats that are really giving you fits, and you don't like the quality,,,,then why not go with a nice aftermarket header and Y-pipe setup with some nice aftermarket cats in there, then have the thing tuned to disable the rear 02's anyway. At least the cats would be there for a visual and working as they should if emissions are a concern. Even these would have to be replaced after a while too, none of them last forever,,,,but they would be cheaper and easier to obtain. Just a thought.
    100% agree.
    Also 1998 to 2002 was about the peak time of GM's quality issues. They've progressively gotten better since then.

Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

And trans ams are just...all round awesome. I always get compliments..and my paint is quite a piece lol.
    1992 Black/Gold Bandit Style Firebird (Retired)
    1998 Blue/Green Formy A4 (Gone)
    2002 Dark Blue Trans Am A4 (Daily Drive)

White
    2001 RS Camaro

I recently had my door trim and weather stripping replaced on my Camaro and it's been garage kept by the previous owner and GM refused to replace it or even admit this was a common problem. I've replaced both window motors and new rear gears since I got the car back in December. I called GM about all this and get this. They told me my car doesn't qualify for the cat recall, never mind it's the same car internally. I just topped 65,000 miles and my cats are clogged. My car has been babied since the day I got it and my Trans Am was to. They had the nerve to tell me "Well maybe you're not taking very good care of the car." EXCUSE ME!!!??? Anyone that knows me knows that car is NEVER dirty inside and out and the engine is in perfect condition. I just don't appreciate being told I'm a crappy car owner cause that's when shit hits the fan.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by transamgirl89 View Post
    I called GM about all this and get this. They told me my car doesn't qualify for the cat recall, never mind it's the same car internally.
    There is a VIN break on the extended warranty policy when they know the bad converters were installed from the factory. Its possible your car falls outside that VIN break, which means you should have the better cat converters. But of course just because they are better, doesn't mean they can't still fail...

Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

Man that sucks..i was told i didnt qualify for the extended warranty..but after going to cadillac and making him search through the bulletins like it held the secret of life..i found to be covered.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

91,000 now. Still have the original clutch , front brakes, window motors, fixed-before-it-would've-been-a-problem door panels, 10 year old paint that still looks great, original perfectly functioning differential/engine/transmission. I love this car still, runs 109+ in the quarter and 28 MPG, with only headers/lid/ORY. My t-tops don't leak, I replaced my subs with something stronger (never enough bass!) and she's never left me stranded. I just drove it 1200 miles the past few days, to US 129 "Tail of the Dragon," abused my tires there, saw the Pontiacs in Pigeon Forge show (very cool, pics on the other thread in a day or two) and never once worried about the car. (Besides the possible vandals in hotel parking lots.) Had the wife and 2 kids, we packed light, had a great time.

What's everyone bitching about? Would y'all rather have some underpowered car with a higher quality interior? Not me.

Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

Lol yea. i wish i coulda got mine new. But mine was abused..so i inherited problems off the bat like..bad cats..exhaust leaks so bad had to replace almost all the pipe lol..um..power steering..stereo..door panels faded..dash showing signs of fade..etc etc =)..but i freaking love the power..its just the stock a4 with 3.23 i believe...fun stuff..cant wait to do bolt ons lol

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    saw the Pontiacs in Pigeon Forge show (very cool, pics on the other thread in a day or two) and never once worried about the car. (Besides the possible vandals in hotel parking lots.) Had the wife and 2 kids, we packed light, had a great time.
    I used to go to that when I lived in Ohio as well as the Pigeon Forge Rod Run every year. Always had a good time. But you are right, have to watch for the vandals. My buddy had his whole rig stolen (dually truck with 24 foot enclosed trailer with a pro street ride inside)
    Found everything weeks later stripped. I quit going a couple years later because of all the theft going on, several cars every year were turning up missing, I didn't want to be one of them.

What's everyone bitching about? Would y'all rather have some underpowered car with a higher quality interior? Not me.
    I agree, it's just part of owning an older car.

Shucks, maybe I should have taken my 72 chevelle back to GM, it needed a complete repaint and some body work, as well as new interior. It's had 4 engines and 3 transmissions over the last 25 years. I think GM should have covered it

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I agree, it's just part of owning an older car.

Shucks, maybe I should have taken my 72 chevelle back to GM, it needed a complete repaint and some body work, as well as new interior. It's had 4 engines and 3 transmissions over the last 25 years. I think GM should have covered it
    I agree!

Blue
    2001 Formula Firehawk

I know I bought a USED car, and I'm only complaining about how I was told those problems were not common, when in fact they are. As for the cats being replaced so many times, evidently they put some of the older ones on the last time, that wore out after 40k miles, so I'm worried that they may not have put the newer, less problematic ones one this time. I didn't have half the problems with my 97 Trans-am, with more then twice the miles the Firehawk has, it sucks that pontiac has no quality control it seems, nor will they admit to possible flaws in the last ten years.
    Last edited by Sas; 06-08-2010 at 02:34 PM.

It does seem like you have went through alot of cats on that car. I don't understand that one.

I had the cats done under warranty once on my 02, at 45,000 miles if I remember right. I pulled them off shortly after.
    We had a 97 Z28 bought new too, and never had any warranty work of the sort done on that one.

We also have a 2000 that I bought with 48,000 miles and it never had the cats replaced according to the warranty reports I have of the car. I also pulled them off of that one around 55,000 and they were still working fine.

I don't know, seems like the luck of the draw I guess

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

That's funny there.

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    That's funny there.
    Thank you,,,,I'll be here all week.......

blue and white
    99 transam 30th vert

GM issues

My car is a 99 30th T/A vert, I have 30 thousand miles, both window motors have been replaced, one cracked door panel, Steering wheel leather came un sewn, the white interior will not stay white even with hardly any miles, I love the car but man there are some design issues, GM knows about it. That is what pisses ya off about corporations anymore.. its lie and deny and hopefully the problem goes away. Why not just admit the design flaws and go about the business. It sure would make you have more confidence in the listening power of these toolboxes that call themselves manufacturers.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Would y'all rather have some underpowered car with a higher quality interior? Not me.
    QUOTE of the year!!

Red
    2001 WS6

Guess i have been somewhat lucky. I still have original window motors, a tiny crack on one door, and the paint is perfect. This car looks pretty good for being a 2001 and it has treated me great. It has a couple suspension mods and a catback. The vette is my go fast toy.

Yellow
    02 CETA#732

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Sas View Post
    I know I bought a USED car, and I'm only complaining about how I was told those problems were not common, when in fact they are. As for the cats being replaced so many times, evidently they put some of the older ones on the last time, that wore out after 40k miles, so I'm worried that they may not have put the newer, less problematic ones one this time. I didn't have half the problems with my 97 Trans-am, with more then twice the miles the Firehawk has, it sucks that pontiac has no quality control it seems, nor will they admit to possible flaws in the last ten years.
    Just remember one of the topics taught every day at sales/marketing/customer service seminars is to never admit to 'common' problems with your product.....standard answer coached into each CSR is always "you're the first we've heard of that issue".

I don't have enough fingers and toes to count how many times I've been the "first" person to report an issue with a product over the years.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    QUOTE of the year!!
    Thank you. Sometimes I wonder why people buy these cars. Is it for the quality of the interior, or the power of the engine. If you want both, go spend a lot more coin. I sure love the styling of the WS6 also, and I knew getting one it would have some quality issues, but my car has been good.

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

To the OP, the items you list are common to these cars, although I don't hear that much about the cats, mine are original. FWIW, people at car dealerships or on the phone line will play along just as any car salesman would and or the person you were speaking with was just a data collection agency representing, not actually anyone at GM.
    Other than ,maybe a dealership representative calling you back about your service issue I cant imagine anything coming out of that call, your car is a 2001 :O

PS-I worked for many years at car dealerships, most will tell you almost anything to move you along...after that have your $

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information