Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Blue
    2001 Formula Firehawk

Just got off the phone with GM...

I had both cats replaced on the Firehawk last week, under the extended warrenty for them and just recieved a call asking how satisfied I was with the service done. I explained to the person that I was very disappointed with the first dealership I had to take it into, becuase they tried telling me they didn't have the parts, even though I called a week ahead of my appointment and was informed they did have the cats in stock. I ended up taking my car to a different dealership and they took care of everything in one trip. I also explained how upset I am about the shoddy craftsmanship GM has been putting into cars, informing him this was the third time the cats have been replaced in under 90k miles, also explained that I've had to replace both window motors, both headlight motors, and also need new door panels due to mine cracking. I asked for some bailout money back, to replace some of the parts that are failing, that shouldn't be. Everyone else having these problems should call and tell them about it, becuase I was told none of these are common problems with LS1's or fbodys.

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

none of those are common according to them? wtf? We're almost to the point that you have factor those costs in when you're buying a F-Body and they're part of the tire kicking process and questions lol

2002 Arctic White T/A Ws6islife's Avatar

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

wow i find that kind of funny. how is a cracked door pannel not common? I bet you more than half of the members here have had a cracked door pannel, as well as a broken window motor, how about cracked the daytime driving light lenses get cracked or the water in the tail lights, right now i have an electrical short caused by the right blinker that reminds me i have to get it fixed.

2002 Arctic White T/A Ws6islife's Avatar

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

i cant make alist ad leaking t-tops and crappy door seals..

Blue
    2001 Formula Firehawk

I agree, that's why everyone having any of these problems should call to inform GM, so they might become a common problem. I can post the number they called me from if any others want to give it a ring, so these "rare" problems become common. 1-866-790-5700

White
    99 Pontiac Trans Am #2466

Soooooo.....did they give you any "bailout" reprives?

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

you would think that they would have people on forums such as this one, ls1tech, ect. and find out what people gripe about to fix it next time. such as rear end, window motors, headlight motors, DRL's, door pannels, leaky t tops, trunk lid not opening on the first press... a little customer service goes a long way.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

Gotta add the sail panel glue comes through and weak speakers. I haven't cracked my door panels but I have replaced my driver side window motor....

Blue
    2001 Formula Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by V8MUSCLE View Post
    you would think that they would have people on forums such as this one, ls1tech, ect. and find out what people gripe about to fix it next time. such as rear end, window motors, headlight motors, DRL's, door pannels, leaky t tops, trunk lid not opening on the first press... a little customer service goes a long way.
    Why? when they continue to make sub par products and people will still buy them? It's sad how little companies care about making decent products anymore.

As far as the bailout question goes, they told me they would "probley" replace my cats again, if they need it after the extended warranty runs out, but it sounded more like "stop wasting my time and get off the phone."

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Firebirds suffer from the cracked interior door panel much more than Camaro's do.

OTOH, I don't know of anybody who hasn't had to replace at least the drivers door window motor and/or put in the extra harness to split the power to the window motors.

Add the crappy glue used to attach the exterior sail panel. That's what causes the bubbles under the paint.

+ Eleventy billion on the crappy door speakers used with the Monsoon system. I've had to replace them in both cars.

Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

My panels are split like a 1/3rd inch on both sides =/..was like that when i bought the car..and in both my 98 formula and my 2002 ta..the right back speaker by the seats blew really easily >:O..and i just replaced my cats..chevy refused to do it..but cadillac found the warranty after a 30 minute arguement lol..told me the door panels for my car are discontinued as well..but some arent..wtf?
    1992 Black/Gold Bandit Style Firebird (Retired)
    1998 Blue/Green Formy A4 (Gone)
    2002 Dark Blue Trans Am A4 (Daily Drive)

White
    1998 Trans Am

My cats were good I should have saved the pipe when putting my lt's on incase I buy another fbody and don't put headers on since they go bad soo much. My door panels haven't cracked yet but I have replaced all the original speakers with factory replacements and soo far driver window and passenger headlight motor along with the drl sockets and soon the lenses. I disconnected the stupid drl setup and swapped to an electronic flasher and led bulbs so no more heat up issues.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

Im thinking of selling my cats when i do LTs/exhaust..not certain tho..

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

if GM good will'd everything that was a "common" problem they will be worse off than they already are. there are new bulletins coming out every week for these conditions and sometimes for a limited time or mileage they will warrenty or good will things. but unless it is a safety hazard they cant justify losing billions of dollars they dont have replacing every chrome door handle (new chevy P/U) 5.3 W/P window motors, cracking panels I-shafts, ect.
    every company has there flaws....it just seems GM has a few more than most:P and the cat failure problem should probably be looked at as an engine performance problem if it is constantly going out.
    my 2 cents.

...worked at a dealer i understand both sides of the story.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I really feel bad that everyone is having these problems. I personally haven't had any of these issues with my Camaro. I know a lot of people that have though.

Just out of curiousity...3 times for replacing the cats seems excessive to me. Are you certain that there isn't something else going on that is causing the cats to break down the way they are? Unburned fuel is the underlying issue with cats going bad.

It has a big wing!

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy 2-1 View Post
    none of those are common according to them? wtf? We're almost to the point that you have factor those costs in when you're buying a F-Body and they're part of the tire kicking process and questions lol
    LOL!

Yeah I had the same reaction when I read that....

Really though,they really don't care about us any more. The youngest Firebirds are 8yrs old now. Even if every F-Body owner made a complaint about the window motors (for example),what are they going to do? Change the design on what? They don't make our cars any more unfortunetly.

Besides,I remember when these cars were NEW and people were posting how they were waiting on thier "NEW WS6" they had ordered to arrive at the local dealers... Even THEN,window motors were failing right and left... GM didn't do anything then, much less now...

These cars are enetering an age where we are pretty much on our own with some help from the aftermarket and junkyards...

PS... don't mean to sound anti-GM on my little rant because I know every manufacturer out there is the same way... It's business.
    1999 Firehawk Trans Am #530

10 year old cars (or older) now. Things are going to happen. It's at that age where they will nickle and dime you.
    Most are just plain wore out, driven hard by kids and put away wet. Most of them were abused from the get go. Will GM replace the engine because it's now smoking at 100,000 miles or the transmission is slipping??? Of course not. And I wouldn't expect them to either.

I can honestly say, after having 4 of these, some of which I purchased new, and currently owning 2,,,I've had very little warranty work done.
    I've hardly had any of the issues listed here. No door panel problems, no water in the lights, no leaky roof.......

I have had the cats replaced once under warranty, then I pulled them out immediately to save them, and installed an off road Y-pipe
    I also had some brake rotors swapped under warranty that kept warping within 50 miles. They also did replace a couple of the door speakers under warranty too. That's about it.
    Overall I can't complain a bit, and I think that's very minor stuff to happen over the course of 10 years or more and actually pretty typical of any new car out there from my experiences. It's not like they have left me stranded on the road somewhere.

I mean really Sas, you have what??? 90,000 miles on a 10 year old car??? Can't expect it to be trouble free, especially if you bought it used.

I'm not trying to be mean here, but it sounds like alot of complaining about a USED car. They do require a little upkeep and money to keep them dependable. Just the nature of it. GM can't be expected to flip the bill for the life of the car,,,right??? Just trying to be reasonable here, that's all.

If it's the cats that are really giving you fits, and you don't like the quality,,,,then why not go with a nice aftermarket header and Y-pipe setup with some nice aftermarket cats in there, then have the thing tuned to disable the rear 02's anyway. At least the cats would be there for a visual and working as they should if emissions are a concern. Even these would have to be replaced after a while too, none of them last forever,,,,but they would be cheaper and easier to obtain. Just a thought.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

My cars been pretty good to me. GM replaced my sail panel for me, drivers side window motor, and the air bladder in the drivers seat. All were under warranty. Never had an issue (knocks on wood) with headlight motors or door panels. All of this is pretty petty stuff imo. I love this car and the LSX platform. It works for me.

Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

Ya...despite all my issues..well this T/A was abused so bad..for an 8 yr old car it looks 15-20..but ima fix her up and keep it going =)

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmPhantom View Post
    Ya...despite all my issues..well this T/A was abused so bad..for an 8 yr old car it looks 15-20..but ima fix her up and keep it going =)
    Yep, that's the attitude to have It's either that, or go out and buy another new car and start the process all over again.

Trust me, it's cheaper to keep the old stuff running than it is to buy new cars every 4-5 years

Thread Information