Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

James's 2001 WS6 Street/Srtip build

This is a discussion on James's 2001 WS6 Street/Srtip build within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; This is not a bolt in setup. This was all custom done by the muffler shop. Kinda like this way ...

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

This is not a bolt in setup. This was all custom done by the muffler shop. Kinda like this way better for ground clearance

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by chevyoverford11 View Post
    pajeff02 was wondering what rear you decided to go with and if it has given you any troubles? that will be my first big mod is the rear end. Debating between the 9" or 12 bolt.

I am quite happy with the Moser 12 bolt, even though it is a bit noisy. With the True Trac and 3.73's it launches hard and straight at the track. This being said, if I had to do it all over again, I would really consider the Strange S60. Only issue I had was one leaky axle seal that I replaced maybe 2 years after I installed the rear.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Hey everyone sorry I've been really busy here. Lot of stuff going on. Here is an update on the car since I've been gone. Did have ti put a window motor in the passenger side here recently. Also did take her to a cruise night in Roanoke va the other week! Didn't get any pics but she was sure shining! Next order of business is to go to a dyno day in forest va at Black ops motor sports. Want to get my baseline hp so i know where i started before i build. Anyway thanks for following guys! I'll post the numbers when i get them
    pajeff02 likes this.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Stock dyno run and 1/4 mile times are compete. More info and pics coming soon

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

ok dont have pics right now of my time slips. 1st pass I left at 2500 rpm and she bogged down just a tad but no spin. Shifting at 5700 rpm it went a 13.8 @103 mph. The second and last pass unfortunately i was gonna try and give it a little more. Left at 3500 rpm and it hooked good and no bog. Was looking to shift at about 6300-6400 but the unknown ref limiter cut me off at 6000, which i thought was a little low for those cars. Tried to go past it again shifting from 2nd to 3rd and it hit it again. So second pass ended up being a 13.9 @ 101 mph. I think it has about a 13.6 in it but it is hard to say. Might try and make one more day of testing before the mods come. Yesterday I went to a Dyno day at Black Ops Motorsports in Forest VA. Got 2 pulls, first one it turned 310hp and 325tq. Second one turned out a little more at 316hp and 335tq. I'm very happy with what it turned for being a stock vehicle. Excited to see what she will put out with a few mods. I will keep everyone posted as soon as stuff starts happening. Money a little tight right now but it will happen lol. http://

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Stock limiter should be 6250rpm. Shifting before then is leaving a lot of power on the table since that's when you're in your power band. If it's limited to just 6000rpm and you're positive (6250 is close to 6000 just looking at it while racing), I'd look into a tune to get it back to where it should be. Good first times regardless. With practice and a good launch, you can probably dip down into the low 13's or high 12's.
    It's on jackstands.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Good deal! Thanks for the advice! I was wondering what they were supposed to limit at since that seemed kinda low. I could have easily read it wrong on the track

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

No problem. Just be cautious about shifting it too late or close to redline and letting it bounce off that rev limiter. That causes the PCM to cut fuel to the motor which can cause detonation. It can also bend push rods. Enjoy it and look forward to hearing of and seeing the progress of your upgrades moving forward.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Right! That's he first time I've pushed it that hard. Won't do that anymore lol

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Bouncing off the rev limiter also has oil pump dangers. 01/02's have a better stock oil pump vs 97-99 LS1 engines. If you're going to be doing more track stuff look into getting either a LS6 oil pump or Melling 10295.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Yeah once i get ti rebuilding the motor I'll do more track stuff but now I'm just streeting it. That's the one and only time I'll hit the limiter lol. Thanks for the suggestions!

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Congrats on the track times. These cars are an absolute blast at the track.

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Sounds like you have had a good time recently! Good time too. I only got 14.1 @ 104mph with mine the day I went with PaJeff to Beaver Springs, but the hot desert day it was just how it is. Hoping to get some good times in this fall when we go back. I also hope to have longtube headers, Y pipe, and catback installed at that point for a couple more ponies and a much better sound projection. Hoping mid 13s for an average! Keep us updated on your car and enjoy it before winter hits!
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Thanks guys! I had a blast with the car! I might try and get back one more time, think i can get a 6 out of it! I'll keep yall posted!

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I regret to inform yall that I have bad news. 9/19/2015 I was showing my brother how to drive the ol bird when shifting from 4 th to 5 th just cruising and the rear end failed in the car. The car went into a slide and went into the ditch. We went into a spin cycle and we were both ejected from the vehicle. The vehicle was totaled, I had a small concussion, but my brother suffered major injuries and on 9/23/2015 he went to be with his heavenly father. So I just wanted to post and let yall know I will be away for a while on her. I'm gonna let everything settle down a little bit then I might get back into the scene. Probably get into a gto. Everyone take care please and be safe.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Very sorry to hear. Sincere condolences to you and your family...

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

That is horrible, very sorry to hear of this. Wishing you a speedy recovery and eternal peace for your brother.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

I am so sorry to hear about your bad news, especially your injuries and the loss of your brother. I wish you speedy healing, on all accounts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information