Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

James's 2001 WS6 Street/Srtip build

Hey everyone, just wanted to start a thread for ol Bessy here. Just got this about 2 weeks ago now. 2001 Trans AM WS6 w/M6. She is bone bone bone stock from purchase date so I have lots of room to play and grow. Plans for the car go about like this... She is my daily driver so I dont want to go to radical to where I cant drive it and be somewhat comfy in it. Not trying to make a race car out of it either, just a bad mofo on the streets. Getting SLP Loudmouth 2's catback put on today. First of many mods. Would love to eventually put out upper 400's to low 500's in HP. Gonna be a slow build but will continue to update and post pics along the way. Would love to hear feedback and opinions about what I'm doing or suggestions on what I should do. Thanks for the post.

http://

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Congrats and welcome to the site, James!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Super clean looking car!

Honest answer - build the car from the back to the front with the last thing you do being upping the power. Things like subframe connectors, lower control arms, panhard bar, and definitely an upgraded rear, will all be very much appreciated when you turn up the wick. I used this philosophy building our car and have zero regrets. Other than an exhaust and a tune, the engine has not been touched and we're running 12.4's in the quarter with a 3,200 stall and a 12 bolt out back packed with 3.73's.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Thanks for the feed back guys! Pajeff02 that's about the idea i was thinking about going. Just got the cat back done yesterday (will post pictures later today). Was thinking first thing i would attack would be the 1"inch drop with upgrading full suspension (shocks, lowers and uppers, panhard bar, bushings, and sub frame).

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Good plan. Check out UMI - they make great stuff that looks, fits and works fantastic. Plus it is all built right here in PA.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Ha ha! I've seen the product just haven't done the research on them. I'll prob give them a shot!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Here's some "research material" for you to ponder (all UMI):

I kept our stock ride height, so adjustable LCA's and panhard were not required. You'll want the adjustable units for your ride.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Convt

Excellent car James!! Congrats! I will be following your thread......

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Did you buy older 98-2K wheels? I thought 2001 had the thicker spokes like the 2002 had?

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Hey guys sorry been away from internet for a few days. No I did not buy any wheels for it. Thats just how she came Whamhammer. I did get along with the car a set of ZO6 wheels that need to be redone. Thinking about painting them black to see what it looks like on the car. Also like I said before I got the exhaust done last Friday, here is what she came out looking like. Love the sound.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Whamhammer those are what came on it when I bought it. Not sure if they are original or not, just kinda assumed they were lol! Thanks Zrtsix! will post as much as possible. Also, I told yall I was getting exhuast work done. This is the first mod for this car. I thought it came out really good. Very happy with the work.

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Good looking car! We're both in the same spot, fresh with our cars, with a plot list to build and plenty of time ahead to make a suitable not over done car. Only difference is I don't DD mine. And I hope you don't have to use yours in winter!

Like the SLP exhaust. Mine has the Flowmaster. I am itching bad to have some longtubes, catted Y, and a GMMG ( Madhammar ) cat-back. I absolutely love that sound. Though I need to have a good listen to PaJeff's WS6 again perhaps I could be persuaded to the Magnaflow kit he has with the longtubes & catted Y. I know certainly I would like an electric cut-out.

The thin spoke wheels were from '96/'00 WS6 cars and the SLP Speedline style was factory on '01/'02. Its very opinionated but I feel we both have the best factory wheels available for these cars. I would love to have some shiny chrome Z06s on mine however!
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, QTP Longtube headers ORY, LS6 intake, EGR/A.I.R delete.
    Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays
    YouTube.com/DarrenWS6

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

True! I was keeping up with your thread and really like your build list. Gonna be looking for a 9" real soon to swap into mine. Also DarrenWS6 i have a set of what i call snowflake style ZO6 wheels that came with the car. Haven't decided if I'm going ti redo them and put on mine or sell them. From what I've been told is you have to run a spacer to make them fit because of offset. If that stands true I'm just gonna sell mine, to many horror stories on running wheel spacers

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by chevyoverford11 View Post
    True! I was keeping up with your thread and really like your build list. Gonna be looking for a 9" real soon to swap into mine. Also DarrenWS6 i have a set of what i call snowflake style ZO6 wheels that came with the car. Haven't decided if I'm going ti redo them and put on mine or sell them. From what I've been told is you have to run a spacer to make them fit because of offset. If that stands true I'm just gonna sell mine, to many horror stories on running wheel spacers
    I hear you on that. There is too many spacer options. The only kind worth trying are hub centric ones that are a solid piece with it's own studs. I run a set of Bora ones like this on my F-150, been perfectly fine. The other thing I don't prefer is cutting down studs. I had to grind down the tips just to make my 1.5" spacers clear 100%.

Pretty soon i'll be able to toss some money at the WS6, can't wait!

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenWS6 View Post
    I hear you on that. There is too many spacer options. The only kind worth trying are hub centric ones that are a solid piece with it's own studs. I run a set of Bora ones like this on my F-150, been perfectly fine. The other thing I don't prefer is cutting down studs. I had to grind down the tips just to make my 1.5" spacers clear 100%.

Pretty soon i'll be able to toss some money at the WS6, can't wait!
    I'll have to look into those spacers. I think those wheels painted black with look good on mine. If i decide not to go with them I'm let you have first dibs if you want

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Might be making some 1/8th mile passes this Friday. Looking to get a solid base to where I'm starting with this car to where i end up. Wish me luck!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I so need to get our car to the track. Just been too busy with other stuff this year.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I understand that! I wish i was a Lil closer to pa I'd come run with yall lol

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

pajeff02 was wondering what rear you decided to go with and if it has given you any troubles? that will be my first big mod is the rear end. Debating between the 9" or 12 bolt.

So that's what the Loud Mouth II setups look like now?? That's completely different from the way they used to make them with a nice "Y" junction, and the muffler used to go next to the driveshaft in front of the axle housing. The rear section used to be nothing but piping.

Thread Information