Results 1 to 13 of 13

Interior Lights? How to tap into them?

This is a discussion on Interior Lights? How to tap into them? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Hi....I've searched here and on the Net with no luck..... Does anyone know the best/easiest way to tap into the ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    L.A.
    Posts
    12

    Black
    00 Firebird TA WS6

    Red face Interior Lights? How to tap into them?

    Hi....I've searched here and on the Net with no luck.....

    Does anyone know the best/easiest way to tap into the courtesy light source on a 00 Fierbird Trans Am T-Top?

    I want to 'add' footwell lights light the Corvette's have.

    I can't even find the Door sensor/switch that kicks the dome/mirror lights on. I assume it's built into the door catch or something like that.

    Thanks in Advance
    Gary

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Would have to check a wiring schematic -- not sure if you are the same as an '02. Probably identical to our car so I can go look if no one else posts up.

  3. #3
    Member nichoLaS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Charlotte
    Posts
    330

    Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by yellowlighting View Post
    Hi....I've searched here and on the Net with no luck.....

    Does anyone know the best/easiest way to tap into the courtesy light source on a 00 Fierbird Trans Am T-Top?

    I want to 'add' footwell lights light the Corvette's have.

    I can't even find the Door sensor/switch that kicks the dome/mirror lights on. I assume it's built into the door catch or something like that.

    Thanks in Advance
    Gary
    Do you want the footwell lights to come on when you turn the headlights on, or when you open the door?
    I only ask cause I'm wanting to do some when the headlights are on.. I thought about tapping into the door light (small bulb that shines on the interior handle) and maybe having an LED/bulb in the door pockets. I just dont know yet if this is possible or if there is a better source to use.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    L.A.
    Posts
    12

    Black
    00 Firebird TA WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by nichoLaS1 View Post
    Do you want the footwell lights to come on when you turn the headlights on, or when you open the door?
    I only ask cause I'm wanting to do some when the headlights are on.. I thought about tapping into the door light (small bulb that shines on the interior handle) and maybe having an LED/bulb in the door pockets. I just dont know yet if this is possible or if there is a better source to use.
    I want them to come on when the door's/hatch back is opened........Basically tap into the existing dome light. Dimmer Switch?

    What I would do for what you want is to tap into your DLR's (driving Lights), or your side marker lights, which only come on with the headlights....just connect to them and run a wire thru the firewall....Just a thought

    Later
    Last edited by yellowlighting; 10-18-2010 at 06:45 PM.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    L.A.
    Posts
    12

    Black
    00 Firebird TA WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Would have to check a wiring schematic -- not sure if you are the same as an '02. Probably identical to our car so I can go look if no one else posts up.
    For sure please.....I'm 99% sure an 02 and 00 are the same....THANKS.... A Mechanic suggested tapping into the 'dimmer' switch wheel?

    Let me know what you come up with.

    Later

  6. #6
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by yellowlighting View Post
    For sure please.....I'm 99% sure an 02 and 00 are the same....THANKS.... A Mechanic suggested tapping into the 'dimmer' switch wheel?

    Let me know what you come up with.

    Later

    I'll head out to the garage and see what I can find. Back in a few...

  7. #7
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Looking at the schematics, the door switches simply close a ground circuit to the Body Control Module. The only way to tap into them would be to have separately powered lights in the footwells that ground through the door swithes. Unfortunately, this would not allow them to self dim like your other interior lights -- they would be door open on, door shut off.

    Looks like the wire from the BCM that powers all the interior lights is Dark Blue with a White stripe. The connector you are looking for is a large black plug (BCM side) to which are attached a medium size plug sandwiched by two long narrow plugs. The plug is located between the left kick panel and the steering column. Find the huge mass of wires and that should be it.

    The connector appears to be mounted vertically with the central larger part retained by a bolt. You want the smaller narrow plug which appears to be on the right. It should have thirteen (13) wires (the other has 17) so you should be able to tell which one it is. The dark blue wire with the white stripe should be positioned in the third (3rd) slot from the bottom. I would back probe it with a test light to be 100% certain before splicing into it.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    L.A.
    Posts
    12

    Black
    00 Firebird TA WS6

    Fantastic, Thanks for going to all this trouble and write up, I really Appreciate that... I'll check into it, this weekend and see if it makes sense when I'm under the dash.

    Regards,
    Gary

  9. #9
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by yellowlighting View Post
    Fantastic, Thanks for going to all this trouble and write up, I really Appreciate that... I'll check into it, this weekend and see if it makes sense when I'm under the dash.

    Regards,
    Gary

    If not, let me know and I can try to scan the pics for you. It never works very well for some reason but I can attempt it. I'll be gone from Friday to Sunday.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    L.A.
    Posts
    12

    Black
    00 Firebird TA WS6

    Well, as the old saying goes, I picture is worth a 1000 words. You've gone the extra mile in the <help> department already, but if you don't mind....

    BTW, I kinda have a Service Manual for the Trans Am, but after I bought the PDF, I found out you CAN'T use the Search feature, so trying to find something is very time consuming, and I often give up. If you are going off the service manual, I MIGHT be able to see exactly what your saying, if you can provide me with the Topic/Page # etc... Like - Body electrical, page 134 or something like that, or a scan will work too...Thanks in advance....

  11. #11
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by yellowlighting View Post
    Well, as the old saying goes, I picture is worth a 1000 words. You've gone the extra mile in the <help> department already, but if you don't mind....

    BTW, I kinda have a Service Manual for the Trans Am, but after I bought the PDF, I found out you CAN'T use the Search feature, so trying to find something is very time consuming, and I often give up. If you are going off the service manual, I MIGHT be able to see exactly what your saying, if you can provide me with the Topic/Page # etc... Like - Body electrical, page 134 or something like that, or a scan will work too...Thanks in advance....

    Ok -- just need a few minutes.

  12. #12
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    E-mail sent.

  13. #13
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Second e-mail with attachments is enroute. I couldn't get the pics to resize so the images will be rather large and will take a while to download. Good news is I did figure out how to scan faster. If it overloads your mailbox I can re-send the images one at a time. Let me know...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-07-2010, 05:25 AM
  2. Interior Lights
    By LS1mavrix in forum General Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-10-2007, 06:59 PM
  3. Led Interior Footwell Lights And License Plate Lights
    By balog1 in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-11-2007, 02:22 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-11-2007, 07:10 AM
  5. Interior lights
    By anniversary30 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-06-2006, 08:06 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •