White
    2001 Trans Am

Question Intake Comparison

TRYIN TO FIND OUT WHICH ONE HAS THE POSSIBILITY TO TAKE IN THE MOST AIR, EFFECTIVELY.

#1. WS6 EQUIPPED TA: WITH K&N, AIR LID, AND THE WATER GUARDS CUT OUT, WITH A SEALED SYSTEM(WHOEVER MAKES ONE, I KNOW IT EXISTS).

#2. WS6 EQUIPPED TA: WITH A SEALED VOLATE AIR SYSTEM(OR EQUIVILANT) WITH WATER GUARDS CUT OUT.

EITHER OF THESE SHOULD BE THE MOST EFFECTIVE. I WOULD THINK THAT WITH EITHER SYSTEM, THE FRA MOD WOULD BE INEFFECTIVE OF NOT APPLICABLE.
    JUST WONDERING WHICH YALL HAD HAD THE BEST LUCK WITH. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

White
    2001 Trans Am

guess what im askin is, the WS6 package(with filter and lid, modified hood) better than using the volate system with a modified hood?

any clearer? thanx..

LS1 Noob

Red
    2000 WS6

There isn't much information comparing the Volant (or FIPK) to a lid. There was a guy who did back to back dyno runs with a lid and an intake he fashioned that was basically a Volant without the box (two filters sitting right behind the WS6 nostrils). According to his data, which was pretty detailed, the Volant "type" intake saw a few more horses than the lid.

I guess the question is... is the added expensive of a Volant over the lid worth the few extra ponies?

I have a Volant on my WS6 'cause I think it's better than a lid and for the cool factor. Those two filters sitting there look badass!

Marc
    '00 WS6 (A4): Hotchkis STB, UMI SFC, UMI LCA, UMI PHB, Volant CAI, LPW Girdle and stud kit, Stainless Works Chambered catback, Bauer TB & by-pass

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

my volant dynoed 5 rwhp more than a slp lid.
    is it worth the extra money for power, no.
    but it does look kick ass.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

White
    2001 Trans Am

Well if it dynoed +5HP, it should make a significant difference down the track at 80+Mph, dont ya think? The dyno implicates to me that it has the ability to flow more air, inherently. Then factor in the ram effect at speed. Should make a difference. Thanks for ya'lls help.

White
    2001 Trans Am

I just went online to check prices. Figured 300ish. Cant find anyone selling them for f bodys, particullarly Pontiacs. Where didi yall get yours?

LS1 Noob

Red
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by mavrikZ
    I just went online to check prices. Figured 300ish. Cant find anyone selling them for f bodys, particullarly Pontiacs. Where didi yall get yours?
    Are you talking about the Volant intake? There's a handful of sponsors that sell them. They usually go for anywhere from $275 to $300 new. I bought mine off of eBay without the filters. I did some measuring and purchased the filters from K&N (I like the K&N red color better than the Volant blue... goes with my red WS6 better).

Marc

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

Quote Originally Posted by mavrikZ
    Well if it dynoed +5HP, it should make a significant difference down the track at 80+Mph, dont ya think? The dyno implicates to me that it has the ability to flow more air, inherently. Then factor in the ram effect at speed. Should make a difference. Thanks for ya'lls help.

5 h.p isnt going to make much difference on a car that makes 300+ h.p

Thread Information